Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21st Century Big Six - Debut after 1/1/2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 07:30
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Y'all should respect the date set by the OP. It's kind of a middle finger to the person who asked the question, and BLATANTLY doing it is just rude. The OP said 1/1/2001. IQ, Opeth, etc., obviously don't count because they had earlier debuts.
Thanks for your comment. I have gotten used to forum folks not reading the OP. I have done it myself.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 17:39
Riverside
Haken
Wobbler
This Winter Machine
The Tangent
Moon Safari
(I'd like to include Mostly Autumn, but their debut was 1998. Same with Big Big Train, who debuted in 1994. IQ, Pendragon and Arena are all wonderful, but far too old.)
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 21:51
I'd go with:
Steven Wilson
Big Big Train
The Tangent
Transatlantic
Karmakanic
Moon Safari
Beardfish
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 00:54
Steven Wilson, Neal Morse and Transatlantic shouldn't count in my view because they have all released music before or are made up entirely of musicians who have.

Frost*
Moon Safari
Beardfish
Riverside
Ciccada
The Watch

Also considered:

Haken
Lost World
Hourglass
Voyager
Thieves' Kitchen
Jordsjų
Barock Project
Tiger Moth Tales
Antique Seeking Nuns / Sanguine Hum
Kotebel
Karfagen / Sunchild
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 08:36

Y'all should respect the date set by the OP. It's kind of a middle finger to the person who asked the question, and BLATANTLY doing it is just rude. The OP said 1/1/2001. IQ, Opeth, etc., obviously don't count because they had earlier debuts.

Fair point, but this criticism can't apply to those posts that were made before the OP edited his post to include a cut off date.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 08:51
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Fair point, but this criticism can't apply to those posts that were made before the OP edited his post to include a cut off date.
You are correct. My edited post explained the years I was asking for. However, even after editing... some still picked bands/artists that didn't met the criteria. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 09:15
From a strictly PA, semi-empirical (eye testing without taking the time to count) perspective, using the years in question, 200 total rating and 4 star average, the answer seems to be...I don't think their really is a big 6. These are the closest that meet the criteria who started making albums after 2001.

Riverside
Wobbler
Haken
Steven Wilson

As noted above, it's hard to consider Wilson as his work with PT started way before 2001. But technically he qualifies.

If you throw out the 2001 band genesis requirement it would be something like.

Big Big Train
Riverside
Wobbler
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Steven Wilson

From my personal perspective, I am not sure that anything that dominates my listening falls into a "big" anything category.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 09:34
^The term big was not to be taken literally and your choices were to be your own, not PA's. Thanks for your effort. 
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 10:06
The Mars Volta
Riverside
Leprous
Haken
Wobbler
Mastodon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123