Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES Albums 1980-1989

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite YES album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [52.54%]
7 [11.86%]
10 [16.95%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.08%]
6 [10.17%]
2 [3.39%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 13:59
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 14:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Paul,    this poll needs a 'none of the above'  choice for those of us who think GFTO was the last decent lp they made.

Wink
There are many here who would disagree with you, bearing in mind how many votes the Drama album has picked up so far. Wink

there is no 90s equivalent for Drama. 
Yes, you're absolutely right! The Ladder (1999) and Talk (1994) are far superior to the Drama album. Big smile

LOL Talk is one of Yes' worst albums. At least make a play for Keys to Ascension, buddy!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 15:14
^ The Talk album was recommended to me by someone else here, although when I say "someone else", I don't literally mean the "someone_else" who posted just above your post. Smile

Keys to Ascension is a good album too though. Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 06:15

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

90125 for me, with ABWH a close second.

Drama will win it. It still does bugger all for me, though.

what does "It still does bugger all for me, though" mean? 

English colloquialism, dear chap. It means it doesn’t float my boat. I don’t get that buzz 
and high from listening to it. I really do not like it.

I was guessing that, but i still asked. 

I loved Drama instantly. 
I could never get into ABWH though, not years ago, not these days. 
I like ABWH but the drum sound puts me off these days.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 06:19

^ Yes, The Quest IS the best YES album ever by a country mile, 

I actually find that quite sad.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 06:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

well put, I agree. 

Unless, possibly, he is joking. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 00:13
From the studio albums, I guess it should be Drama, just because of Machine Messiah. But since An Evening of Yes Music is included, it's got to be it. I mean, it's got a great selection of most of their best 70's songs, plus the better ones from ABWH... and just look at the line-up... better than anything else from the 80's line-ups.
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 08:55
Been away for a while trading in my old broken down knee for a newer model. But I noticed upon my return, how Prog Archives has become Sports Archive. Hence the Wimbledon between two Prog enthusiasts over YES albums. Kind of reminds me oh so long ago, if one can remember that far back, when the world was introduced to video games with Pong. Perish the thought we embraced that as high tech at the time. But I so enjoy the banter here, because it’s among Prog aficionados who are passionate about their music. And go to bat for albums and bands (and often each other) that have rocked their worlds. So glad they can come here to have a meeting of the minds. To share a thought, make a comical remark about a fellow member’s comment and at times to butt heads. But never take it too seriously. Prog - on!
People! Prog-on!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 10:53
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

Been away for a while trading in my old broken down knee for a newer model. But I noticed upon my return, how Prog Archives has become Sports Archive. Hence the Wimbledon between two Prog enthusiasts over YES albums. Kind of reminds me oh so long ago, if one can remember that far back, when the world was introduced to video games with Pong. Perish the thought we embraced that as high tech at the time. But I so enjoy the banter here, because it’s among Prog aficionados who are passionate about their music. And go to bat for albums and bands (and often each other) that have rocked their worlds. So glad they can come here to have a meeting of the minds. To share a thought, make a comical remark about a fellow member’s comment and at times to butt heads. But never take it too seriously. Prog - on!
People! Prog-on!!

It's Good to See You again, in the words of Neil Young, and in the words of the Mamas & Papas, I hope you're Getting Better Every Day. Heart Time and a Word will tell if your painful knee operation is successful. Let's hope you'll soon be climbing up and down The Ladder again. Yes, you're right about there being no shortage of Drama here, but it's generally good-natured Talk and doesn't usually come Close to the Edge of outright hostility, despite a Magnification of tensions when there are one or two Fragile egos at stake. At the end of the day though, we're all one Union here, united by our love of Prog-Rock, so it's more like Heaven & Earth than heaven & hell. Anyway, it's time for me to Fly from Here again to continue with The Quest of discovering more great music - including the latest magnificent YES album.  Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 05 2021 at 10:55
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 11:14
voted for Yesshows!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 21:10
Toss up between Big Generator and ABWH
CJSrans View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CJSrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 01:42
Drama and Big Generator
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 15:19
I think I'm going to start a new poll:
Would you watch a reality show starring Cristi & Psychedelic Paul? Big smile Clown

For the purposes of this poll:

Drama,
Big Generator,
AWBH
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 15:22
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

Would you watch a reality show starring Cristi & Psychedelic Paul? Big smile Clown

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 15:22
What's all the Drama about?
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 15:35

Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

Ouch LOL
It was just a thought...
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 16:43
To my ears, "Drama" is like if Yes decided to make a Rush album.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 03:47
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

That's (more or less) true, sure sounds like it at times, although i doubt they tried to do that LOL.
I've just seen your post. Thumbs Up

Edited by Cristi - November 30 2023 at 03:54
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 03:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I remember when my brother first heard the beginning of Machine Messiah he thought it sounded like Led Zeppelin. LOL Other than that track I don't think most of it is that heavy although for Yes it was at least until Trevor Rabin came aboard. 

I suppose I'll follow the herd on this one and vote for Drama although Yesshows and Big Generator would be my other choices. 90125 is great but maybe is a bit too much in the Foreigner/Journey sound and not enough "typical" Yes (at least for my taste and that's no knock on those or any of the "arena" rock bands).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 03:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

But not any more. The Quest has now been surpassed by an even better album, although some would say that wasn't hard to do. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>