Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd's prog period

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:38
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Ummagumma ---> Animals is probably their core prog period, and possibly also including Saucerful.

Exactly what I think.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:40
Saucerful to The Wall

their debut, although never a favorite of mine, was pretty groundbreaking and unique when it came out. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:45
Saucerful to Final Cut.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 18:07
First album up to "Dark Side of the Moon" are the albums I like, what genre they are is up to someone beside myself.

Edited by Easy Money - November 05 2021 at 18:10
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 00:20
As a self confessed Floyd nutter I classify The Wall & Final Cut albums as rock operas - as they have elements in common with works such as Tommy and Quadrophenia.  The DG led era is more AOR. Whereas Piper is pure psychedelia. 

Everything else is pretty much prog. [Just my opinion.]
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 07:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Those first couple albums are pretty clearly rooted in Psych rock, plus handing them the "prog" qualification would screw up the general consensus that In The Court Of The Crimson King was pretty much prog's album length debut (Zappa would disagree of course, and he's welcome to, because he rules, but I still would call ITCOTCK ground zero for the movement). So I'm fine saying the Syd stuff's not prog. Atom Heart Mother definitely seems to fit the bill with that sidelong title track and its orchestral sweep. I'd definitely say The Wall is prog, but I'd say the same thing about Tommy and Quadrophenia from The Who. Not every song needs to fit the bill on an individual basis for the album as a unit to qualify. ELP has Lucky Man on it for example. About The Final Cut... I don't love it, but it probably qualifies. It's certainly not pop, that's for darn sure. I haven't listened to the rest enough to say one way or the other, but I know enough to say they seem to have elements remaining which fit the bill, not to mention so much neo-prog pulls from that spacey, slow, synth laden, shimmering guitar lead aesthetic that you could argue the Floyd sound itself had become prog, regardless of song structures or lyrics.

I didn't really want to get into the what is the first prog album discussion on here because it's not really relevant to the discussion at hand. However, since you brought it up I think it's very debatable that "court" was the first. You also had Days of future passed and several others. Frank Zappa probably wouldn't not disagree because I doubt he would consider himself prog. I'm not sure how else I would label Uncle Meat though. I'm also not sure what else I would call the More soundtrack or ummagumma but to be a bit more strict about definitions I chose AHM as the starting point for PF. Anyway, we can argue until the cows come home(no pun intended ;)) about what is or what isn't prog. For me The Wall is more art rock than prog. If art rock is part of prog then ok. I admit prog can be a wide umbrella.

I can see that I suppose. My art rock meter tends to go off on stuff like Peter Gabriel's Melt, David Bowie's Berlin Trilogy and Scary Monsters, and even King Crimson's 80s stuff. So I could see an argument for The Wall as a move into art rock, though I think theft that it's a massive double concept album with an intense narrative story is a pretty prog move on its face.

Yeah there are definitely arguments to be made for ITCOTCK not being the first prog album, but it's like arguing Black Sabbath isn't the first metal album. There's probably enough evidence to make a good argument, but it really goes against the popular interpretation of the history of rock and roll, and kind of downplays the massive importance of those two records. ITCOTCK may not actually be the first prog album, but it sure feels like it.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 08:37
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Their whole discography. Prog is a wide umbrella. Where there may be debate is when they transitioned from one subgenre to the next. 

You are a wise Aardvark indeed.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 13:22

With Rush it is generally accepted that their prog period was between 1976-1981(2112 to Moving Pictures).
Okay, I'm game. Where do you "generally" get your information for such a broad statement as this? Can you name a source? As far as I'm concerned (and it must be stated that this is merely my humble opinion), Rush's prog period easily started with Fly By Night and even more easily ended with Grace Under Pressure.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 13:36
They had a prog period.....?

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 14:33
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

With Rush it is generally accepted that their prog period was between 1976-1981(2112 to Moving Pictures).
Okay, I'm game. Where do you "generally" get your information for such a broad statement as this? Can you name a source? As far as I'm concerned (and it must be stated that this is merely my humble opinion), Rush's prog period easily started with Fly By Night and even more easily ended with Grace Under Pressure.

Yes, everyone has their own opinion. I'm basing mine on just the things I have seen on prog websites and maybe the rush forum. FBN and COS had some very proggish moments on it (By tor and the snow dog is actually the only real prog track on FBN) and so did 2112 but the 2112 suite was the most prog sounding thing they have done up to that point. On the other end, Signals seems to be the beginning of the new wave period. Still, very proggish but different. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 29 2021 at 21:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12