Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 18:36
Every artist has a finite amount of great material within them and we're lucky to enjoy it in our lifetime.

As to SteveG's comment regarding his Tull allegiance, from my review for Rock Island :

Here's the thing: sometimes appreciation of an artist is almost absolute. High points and low, blatant sellouts, uninspired contract-fulfillers and what-were-they-thinking moments, it's all of interest to the diehard fan.  Not because followers are blind, deaf or gullible, but because they want to hear any new work by a band proven over years to produce quality music--   music a true devotee will probably dig.'

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 05:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Every artist has a finite amount of great material within them and we're lucky to enjoy it in our lifetime.

As to SteveG's comment regarding his Tull allegiance, from my review for Rock Island :

Here's the thing: sometimes appreciation of an artist is almost absolute. High points and low,
blatant sellouts, uninspired contract-fulfillers and what-were-they-thinking moments, it's all of
interest to the diehard fan.  Not because followers are blind, deaf or gullible, but because they
want to hear any new work by a band proven over years to produce quality music--   music a true devotee will probably
dig.'

Right on the money David. And that was a good review, btw. To paraphrase a quote I saw in another thread "I'm a fan of my team. Even when they're losing, I'm still a fan."
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Owen D View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Owen D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 00:29
This is an edited and shortened version of my review which appears on DPRP net

Link- https://www.dprp.net/reviews/2022/001

The Zealot Gene contains an interesting amalgam of styles that will probably please and frustrate Tull fans in equal measures. Any Tull aficionado expecting a consistent, hard rock experience will be somewhat disappointed. Any Tull fans who want a re-tread of the progressive complexity of a Passion Play might feel a bit underwhelmed.

However, Tull fans who enjoyed the light and shade of albums such as Minstrel In the Gallery, or the melodic beauty of Secret Language of Birds, might appreciate the way in which some of The Zealot Gene explores the gentler side of Anderson's compositions. If you like prog that is full of melody, but on occasions also mixes that approach with the bite and gusto of a rock act, you will probably enjoy much here.

In this respect, whilst never achieving the peaks of the best-regarded Tull albums, The Zealot Gene offers something appealing, that fans from a wide variety of Tull eras might value and enjoy. It is by turns quirky, charming, and endearingly idiosyncratic.

Anderson's vocals are surprisingly strong, although some listeners might find that his now-limited vocal range ensures that the vocal parts have a similar tonal quality. Several techniques are used to good effect to give the vocals an extra dimension.

Anderson's flute flurries are superlative. Whilst numerous flute passages have the pureness of tone associated with players such as Bjorn Json Lindh, there are many occasions where Anderson blows his flute with snorting aggression.
Some of the most exciting flute-trilling occurs during the interchange between Opahle and Anderson in the unusually structured and enigmatic Barren Beth, Wild Desert John.

Mine is the Mountain contains some of the best instrumental sections of the album. John O’ Hara's measured piano introduction provides a perfect entry point for Anderson's haunting flute line. At the mid-point of the tune, the group have an opportunity to stretch out. This exciting passage ends all too soon, but the band interplay is quite brilliant.

The Zealot Gene is a fine album and is a welcome addition to Jethro Tull’s catalogue.

Edited by Owen D - January 11 2022 at 00:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12