Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did Yes "drop the ball" when Bruford left?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Did Yes "drop the ball" when Bruford left?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.14%]
35 [83.33%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Yes "drop the ball" when Bruford left?
    Posted: November 05 2021 at 16:31
This is another one that just popped in my head. Being that I haven't done any polls in such a long time I figured it's not a big deal if I did two in a row(more or less). Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 05 2021 at 16:32
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 16:34
No 
They lost a great drummer, but no... 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 16:41
What does that even mean? Are they some sort of sports team?
Are you asking if they chose the wrong drummer as a replacement?

Of course not. And it's not like the music took a left turn off a cliff or anything.
Well...at least not until some of their later albums. Wink
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 16:54
"Drop the ball" as in go off course or lose momentum. "Drop the ball" was the first metaphor or description I thought of. I apologize if that's vague or not clear to non native English speakers or whoever. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 05 2021 at 16:54
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:04
I know that there are more than two genders, but giving four alternatives to Yes and No must be something of a record. FOUR! I'm tempted to vote "Other", but I'll vote "Yes" because they still were Yes afterwards. Tongue

(I know you don't share my humour, so in fact I vote No, honestly. Bruford was a big loss though.)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:15
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I know that there are more than two genders, but giving four alternatives to Yes and No must be something of a record. FOUR! I'm tempted to vote "Other", but I'll vote "Yes" because they still were Yes afterwards. Tongue

(I know you don't share my humour, so in fact I vote No, honestly. Bruford was a big loss though.)

Come on. You guys should know I'm not a fan of binary polls by now. Plus sometimes I think just yes and no doesn't cut it but I wanted to include those as well. 
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:20
Tales is a controversial album for a lot of people, but I don't think Bruford is the reason. Personally, I think TFTO is a very good album (even if not as good as Fragile and CTTE especially), but even if I didn't rate it, as I said, I don't think lack of Bruford would be the reason. And aside from that, they bounced back with Relayer which I think is their 2nd best album and GFTO which is a minor classic as well. So no, I think he's one of the best drummers ever and two of their top 3 albums were with him on the band but the band had more than enough talent to survive his departure and he was very well replaced with Alan White. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:24
You know, now I'm really confused, so maybe I should vote "maybe"... Ermm
Maybe not... or not really...? Is there a direction? An other?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:43
I vote for option #5 because Tales was a temporary drop (not because of the drumming by the way). Options #2 and #4 are valid as well - for me.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:44
Another joke poll, DMAFKC? LOL

We already know the answer is: NO.

Reason #1. Bruford left of his own accord to join King Crimson.

Reasons #2-7+. TfTO, Relayer, GftO, Tormato, Drama, 90125, etc.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:49
If the albums they made after Bruford left were "dropping the ball" then that's fine with me.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 17:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If the albums they made after Bruford left were "dropping the ball" then that's fine with me.

If dropping the ball means getting "The Gates of Delirium," "Sound Chaser," "Awaken," "Parallels," "On the Silent Wings of Freedom," "Machine Messiah," and "Tempus Fugit," I'm all for it!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 18:08
Absolutely not. They went on to their most elaborate album, for better or worse, and then their best after that.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 18:12
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Absolutely not. They went on to their most elaborate album, for better or worse, and then their best after that.

This is what I was hoping at least one person would say. Which one do you consider their best though? Relayer? Most seem to consider their prime period to be TYA to CTTE and especially close to the edge so it was with that common opinion in mind that prompted me to start this poll.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 18:18
although Bruford is probably my fav drummer--Alan White is an amazing versatile drummer and added an earthiness and heaviness to the sound which opened up a lot of new directions for the band--can't imagine Bill on Relayer. One of their best albums. 
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 18:23
Definitely no. They lost a great drummer, one of my favourites, but no way.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 19:42
No, they dropped the ball when they let Patrick Moraz go and re-hired Rick Wakeman: a backward-looking decision based entirely on commerce. A lot of good music would follow, but nothing as challenging as Relayer: the last truly "progressive" Yes album...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 20:11
^ Come on, we would never have had Awaken as we know it if Wakeman didn't come back, and I can't imagine the version with Moraz could have ended up any better. However, no, they didn't drop the ball nor anything when Bruford left, and I find it a rather odd question given how they were still going strong until Tormato.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 20:32
I don't know what the difference between yes and no and other is, so I'm going to vote for buy one get one free.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 20:43
ONLY if Bruford was a ball

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>