Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where are the Links ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where are the Links ??
    Posted: November 05 2021 at 21:39
Hey you guys

I visit your site occasionally. Was actually freaking out the other day when I first saw news of the Porcupine Tree reunion...and was clicking on many different prog sites....just to soak in the amazing, wonderful news from many different sources.

So when I came here and after reading your take on the PT reunion, I stayed on the site, looked around and was reading some reviews, checking various albums, etc. And on the bottom of the reviews for each of the albums, there were links to hear songs from the album. Either youtube or bandcamp for the most part. That was a couple days ago, when I spent half the day bouncing off the walls thanks to the PT reunion.

So when i come back today to look around, I was in the mood for hearing some new prog and...where are the links ? Am I doing something wrong ?...because every album I looked at today, on the first page and/or clicking on artists, I saw none. Zero. I'm not the most patient guy in the world and...lol.. was really getting PO'd because I know they must be there...but how could I see youtube/bandcamp (and others) links the other day...at the bottom of every artist and now......not one ? Help out this impatient new guy, will ya please ? :)

Edited by Alexmontrose - November 05 2021 at 21:50
Alexmontrose View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 22:47
Could have been another site where I saw the links, might have mixed this one and that one. Thought it was this one. Anyway....thanks so much to the 26 people so far who have read this post...and couldn't be bothered to reply. What a bunch of helpful, considerate people on my first registered day here. Geeezuz.

Cya.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2021 at 22:50
Originally posted by Alexmontrose Alexmontrose wrote:

Could have been another site where I saw the links, might have mixed this one and that one. Thought it was this one. Anyway....thanks so much to the 26 people so far who have read this post...and couldn't be bothered to reply. What a bunch of helpful, considerate people on my first registered day here. Geeezuz.

Cya.

Welcome to PA by the way!!  Don't be a stranger, this place is the best forum for prog I've found.

Also, it is great to see another Chicago guy on PA!  Check out the Chicago fusion band "Kick the Cat" for a taste of some Brand-X like blazing fusion.  

Edited by cstack3 - November 05 2021 at 22:52
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 02:49

Cya.

People from all over the world post here. It's still morning where I live, i still have not finished my coffee. 
And i've just seen your posts.

There are no listening links on PA. There used to be. In 2006 there were even some song downloads. LOL
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 06:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Cya.

People from all over the world post here. It's still morning where I live, i still have not finished my coffee. 
And i've just seen your posts.

There are no listening links on PA. There used to be. In 2006 there were even some song downloads. LOL

It's morning here too, no coffee yet :) ...and I've just seen your post. And apparently so have have another 126 people/views. And you are the first person to chime in with an answer. Unreal.

But...doesn't matter really. This place is full of info, variety of music/genres and sub genres. Great for the Prog lover. But nothing to hear, listen to ? That's a deal breaker. And BTW....when I said where are the links, I didn't mean links on PA, for listening on PA. I meant links to other sites, youtube, bandcamp, etc where you could listen to the artist you are reading about on PA. Those links, I thought, were listed under artist or album reviews on PA. Unless I am losing it. But I would not have added this site to my PC's toolbar if there was no way to hear anything. So maybe I am losing it  Wacko

Edited by Alexmontrose - November 06 2021 at 06:49
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 06:37

Cya.
If you did see some links they may have been in one of the other posts about the PT reunion e.g. Is Porcupine Tree Returning? - Progressive Rock Music Forum - Page 2 (progarchives.com). Other than that there aren't any links like you described, although some artists have links to YT pages.

btw - you posted this in the early hours of the morning for the UK. There are a lot of UK members here so it's not that surprising that some haven't replied yet. 

Edited by chopper - November 06 2021 at 06:40
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 07:35
I was one of those who clicked on this topic within its first half hour while on my phone waiting for my wife in an aisle of the grocery store. Logging in on my phone and posting would have been hard to do, and I didn't know what you were talking about. A lot of those views are likely bots, and people often don't post unless they have something relevant to say. I usually like to research a bit to figure out where things are coming from.

It can take a wile to get a response and I do think that was really quick to complain (this forum has slowed down over the years), but then you do mention not being the most patient of people. One is not entitled to a response, and hopefully one is grateful to those who do try to respond.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 07:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was one of those who clicked on this topic within its first half hour while on my phone waiting for my wife in an aisle of the grocery store. Logging in on my phone and posting would have been hard to do, and I didn't know what you were talking about. A lot of those views are likely bots, and people often don't post unless they have something relevant to say. I usually like to research a bit to figure out where things are coming from.

It can take a wile to get a response and I do think that was really quick to complain (this forum has slowed down over the years), but then you do mention not being the most patient of people. One is not entitled to a response, and hopefully one is grateful to those who do try to respond.

Don't think it was quick to complain as you and I sound very different. If someone asks a question, many, most people are nice enough to answer. Pretty much every person where I'm from. But online, people just look and leave, depending on the site, subject, etc, etc. It doesn't register the same way as it does in person. Like this person is standing right in front of me, waiting for an answer to his question. Online...it's ehhhh, I don't feel like answering that one..even though I was trying to find out from some of the regulars here.

There was already 126 views when I saw Chopper...who was nice enough to answer.

But you might be right about the bots...might account for some of the views. And I do understand not wanting to answer on your phone too. Also....I did the research, tried to find the links before I posted.

Edited by Alexmontrose - November 06 2021 at 07:56
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 08:12
Most hits are bots I think. Better to look at the logged registered users online. I meant that I try to research often before responding, unless I have a ready answer. I have received complaints when I have tried to address a question before putting lots of time into the research.

Sometimes that might take a long time to look into before I feel I have anything useful to say and sometimes I feel I have nothing useful/ relevant to add. Some of us are not that involved with the site outside of this board and various would not have felt they had an answer to your issue. If more had responded it might just amounted to "I don't know, sorry". Not very satisfying.

I find it very different talking to people in person than online. Sometimes it might take me over an hour to research and write a response, but I would rarely take up that much time pondering and monologuing with someone face-to-face. I used to belong to a discussion board that also had an attached IRQ chat function. Both served different functions. The IRQ was quick group chat with real-time quick responses, and at the message board people put more thought and time into their messages/ responses.

One needs to be patient probably if one is to enjoy this discussion forum. The Just For Fun section can be faster paced.

Edited by Logan - November 06 2021 at 08:16
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 08:54
Well I admitted, more or less, to my "ignorance" about the site not having links to hear music. That's just lacking the knowledge (ignorance) and familiarity with your site. Then again, I'm pretty sure I saw links under some artists. So far...it's a mystery..though I think Chopper might be right in that I was clicking from here and linking to other sites that did have listening links, etc....so not sure. Tried to retrace my steps...but to no avail.

But the real ignorance, as far as I'm concerned, is having this sprawling music site, catering to all things Prog....and not having ways, means to hear music. That's just insane. Especially for such a long running, very established prog site like this.

If I was an admin, as apparently you are.....it would be something I would look into. Like yesterday. People don't want to just look at food. They want to eat it. You get my point. People want to hear the music they are reading about. If you can't find the ways to get links on your site...then you should find ways to direct people to places/sites where they can hear. At the very least bring this issue up to the other admins.
You know....write to them online....where you are more comfortable :)

Edited by Alexmontrose - November 06 2021 at 09:16
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 09:15
^ This is why I usually take my time in research and pondering when answering peoples questions. I think we are having some misunderstanding. More comfortable online, did I say that? I find face-to-face more comfortable but find the two experiences very different.

M@x is the site owner and has control over various things. He is not easy to reach often. We have this forum Help us improve the site (click) where you can present your case.

We do have youtube posts to go with artists on the pages (there have been some technical issues with that and with users uploading them which the site owner is aware of) and we have links at the bio pages to the band websites (bandcamp ones would be useful etc.) I don't think its hard to google other media.

We used to have streaming mp3s (acting as band song samples) hosted here but those were removed for legal reasons.

Edited by Logan - November 06 2021 at 09:16
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 09:29

I find it very different talking to people in person than online. Sometimes it might take me over an hour to research and write a response, but I would rarely take up that much time pondering and monologuing with someone face-to-face.

Yes..you did say that, at least in the sense where you seem to be more comfortable spending the time online, instead of talking it over face to face. Understandable...depending on the person, situation. I'm sure you have talked to your friends, face to face for hours on end about music.

Edited by Alexmontrose - November 06 2021 at 09:40
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 09:51
I spend lot of time from home as I work from home and have a special needs child, but I love face-to-face with friendly people since I like having the other cues (body language, expression, gestures, tone). It can feel warmer. I used to enjoy writing more than I now do and I liked forum writing because I enjoyed writing. Been years since I would spend many hours talking with friends about music. But this has gone a bit weirdly personal. Sorry if you find this site and forum disappointing. I do suggest that if you care enough, then present your suggestions in Help Us Improve the Site. People like me and collabs are all volunteers and there is only so much we can do to improve the site.

Edited by Logan - November 06 2021 at 09:54
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 09:52
I found him!!!

Edited by Easy Money - November 06 2021 at 09:52
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 10:19

I spend lot of time from home as I work from home and have a special needs child, but I love face-to-face with friendly people since I like having the other cues (body language, expression, gestures, tone). It can feel warmer. I used to enjoy writing more than I now do and I liked forum writing because I enjoyed writing. Been years since I would spend many hours talking with friends about music. But this has gone a bit weirdly personal. Sorry if you find this site and forum disappointing. I do suggest that if you care enough, then present your suggestions in Help Us Improve the Site. People like me and collabs are all volunteers and there is only so much we can do to improve the site.

LOL....weirdly personal. Okay Logan (is that too personal ?)

To me, this just conversation. I spend 99.9% of my online music time on another site. Where we review, write, spend hours talking about music and have a great time. For you, that's something in the past. For me, it's ongoing. Because I am just as passionate about music now as I was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

As I've said......I feel the site should find ways to let the reader hear music from the artist. Countless other sites do it...not sure why it's such a problem here. Don't really need to write to the admin either. I have to explain to someone on a music site that the readers would like to hear music ?? Back to my food analogy, the people who sample foods in grocery stores....you get to eat the food, the samples....you don't just look at it.

Anyway....thanks for your responses.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 10:33

But the real ignorance, as far as I'm concerned, is having this sprawling music site, catering to all things Prog....and not having ways, means to hear music. That's just insane. Especially for such a long running, very established prog site like this.

There used to be MP3s you could listen to but they were removed for copyright reasons. There are loads of places you can listen to prog if you want to - YouTube, radio stations, band web sites, Bandcamp and S*o*i*y. I've never found it an issue. I often hear a band mentioned here that I've not heard before and there are nearly always ways to listen to them.

Edited by chopper - November 06 2021 at 10:35
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 10:46
Weirdly personal in that I felt rather uncomfortable giving out personal info with someone I don't feel I yet know at all here (or feel I have developed a rapport with) but I decided to give some personal background as I felt it related to your comment. As for calling me Logan, I much prefer to go by the more personal given name, Greg.

Like I said, we have youtube embeds (mentioned there have been some problems), we have links to band websites, we used to have streaming mp3s as I mentioned before but those were removed due to legal reasons. I'm not exactly sure what you are proposing. We also have the forum where we can provide links in topics (within certain parameters) of course.

Porcupine Tree is not an act I'm much interested in, but looking at the band page, I do see that it doesn't have youtube vids. If I look at Magma it does. The owner has been alerted to problems regarding this. Steven Wilson used to post at this forum sometimes, and maybe he asked that his music not be included here (like song embeds).

I used to love discussion forums by the way, mostly as a way of creative writing and firing up my brain for my work, but I have largely lost interest, and it's become more habit. Right now it's harder than usual as I gave up nicotine recently and that makes it very hard to concentrate.

if you don't mind me asking, Alex, which site do you most frequent?

Edited by Logan - November 06 2021 at 11:07
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexmontrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 15:13
Totally sympathize with you on the nicotine, I recently started smoking again, after giving it up for 8 and half years.

I'm not even sure what you considered personal, it was just regular conversation, back and forth for me. The other site I think I was mistaking this one for had links for every artist I saw, usually three or four, that took you directly to the player/site so you could hear songs from X band. So it must be something with this site where it's either not a priority, legal stuff or the bands say no. Hard to understand that...when there are so many other sites that have them....as Chopper mentioned. Of course I know about those sites, pretty much hear whatever I want...but this site has so much prog minutia...I wanted to check out many bands here. Just too bad can't listen at the same time. That would make this one of THE go to places.

Anyway.....the site I mentioned, where I'm a regular, is RYM.

Edited by Alexmontrose - November 06 2021 at 15:29
 Post Reply Post Reply