8 [22.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.78%]
1 [2.78%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager
    Posted: November 06 2021 at 15:55
I think this one rivals the classic seven and I probably like it better than In search of the lost chord or every good boy. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 06 2021 at 17:19
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 16:01
I don't care for it

I only listen to their classic 66-72 work. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 16:12
The first Moody Blues studio  album I bought on vinyl and almost as good as the classic seven. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 16:14
Pass. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 16:15
I voted other.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 16:28
Almost
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 16:28
The Moody Blues were never a band I rated highly; generally a good listen, but not really exceptional, to my ears. I think this album is good, but it is not really an album I turn back to that much. Happy though to hear a track coming by on the radio, if/when that happens.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 17:18
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I voted other.

And what would that other be? Wink
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 20:54
I just don't get it when Moody Blues are well past their peak and you have so many better present day bands you could be listening to in Spock's Beard, Big Big Train, Marillion and others.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2021 at 20:55
An album that I enjoy a lot, But certainly does not match the seven classic ones.

Edited by Manuel - November 07 2021 at 06:57
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 01:47
I kept getting all of the Moody’s albums because of the hype of the ‘classic seven’. Get an album, play if for a while, always find some excellent tracks on every album, never hearing a great album. Justin Hayward is one of my fav singers so what was the problem? Sometimes it was the lyrics, sometimes the production. Rinse and repeat.

The Moody’s for me always seemed like a singles band trying for the big statement. With LDV, they ease up on the lyrical statement, give each of the 3 singers room plenty of room, and they have a well balanced, excellent album. My favorite of the Moody’s. This is definitely not the popular opinion, but as all opinions YMMV.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 07:43
Patrick Moraz added energy to the Moodies just like he did to Yes. Its a very good album---although I am not the biggest fan of the Moodies.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 07:47
Great album. Days Of Future Past, Question Of Balance and this one are my favorites.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 10:17
Almost as good
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 13:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I voted other.

And what would that other be? Wink

It's good music to listen to while eating soft pretzels and random sausages.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2022 at 10:10
This album single-handedly made me a fan. I only heard (and bought) the "core seven" after enjoying this one.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2022 at 20:47

I think this one rivals the classic seven and I probably like it better than In search of the lost chord or every good boy. 

I don't think we could be further apart on this.

"In Search of the Lost Chord" is my favorite Moodies album and one of my favorite albums of all time, with "Every Good Boy..." coming in second out of the Moodies albums.

I am always a bit baffled by LDV being considered anywhere near as good as any of the "core seven", and I even prefer "Octave" to it.

I do rate "Talking Out of Turn" highly but other than that (and perhaps "In My World") I just can't listen to the rest of the album.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2022 at 22:16
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

I don't think we could be further apart on this.

"In Search of the Lost Chord" is my favorite Moodies album and one of my favorite albums of all time, with "Every Good Boy..." coming in second out of the Moodies albums.

I am always a bit baffled by LDV being considered anywhere near as good as any of the "core seven", and I even prefer "Octave" to it.

I do rate "Talking Out of Turn" highly but other than that (and perhaps "In My World") I just can't listen to the rest of the album.
Same. In The Threshold Of A Dream is another fine early Moody Blues album. Octave contains a couple of good Moody Blues songs but that's about it. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2022 at 23:20
to me it's ok to good.  I voted good.  Cannot compare to the classic 7, though personally I don't much like "On the Threshold".  I seem to be in the minority there.  I think Octave thru Other Side of Life are all more or less equal.  If pushed to pick a favourite from the post big 7 I would choose "The Present".  
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2022 at 19:00
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Octave contains a couple of good Moody Blues songs but that's about it. 

One thing "Octave" does have in its favor IMHO is the presence of Mike Pinder (for the last time). I always thought that Pinders mellotron was one of the foundations of the best Moodies recordings, along with Justin Haywards voice and guitar.

In fact, I rate "On the Day We Meet Again" one of my all time favorite Moodies tracks partly for the superb introduction and the way it combines Pinders mellotron with Haywards twelve string. Simply sublime to my ears.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>