Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Byrne Progs On

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Byrne Progs On
    Posted: November 07 2021 at 15:10
One of the most progressive tunes I've heard from David Byrne. Reminds me of a cross between Peter Gabriel and King Crimson.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 15:26
Hey cool, I like this. Haven't followed David Byrne after his last album with Eno, which I found rather underwhelming.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 17:07
The song is from the T Heads album "Fear of Music". Fripp played on the original version.

Edited by Easy Money - November 07 2021 at 18:47
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 17:30
I think that tune actually inspired King Crimson & Gabriel’s 80s direction. Fear of Music came out in 1979.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 18:59
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

The song is from the T Heads album "Fear of Music". Fripp played on the original version.
Yes it is but I had no idea Robert played on the original. I was a kinda sorta TH fan but only from the periphery and not really until Speaking in Tongues. Hearing this live version some 40 years on mades me want to go back and explore their catalogue in closer detail. Maybe it's time to get into an 80' revival groove.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 20:26
I saw the TV show last week it was a great performance. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2021 at 20:38
Not bad at all. Quite entertaining.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 00:41
Inspired by some (purportedly meaningless) Dadaist poetry apparently
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 03:23
I don't know what it is, but I just don't like David Byrne/Talking Heads very much. It just radiates smugness or something like that - and I'm not feeling it. I enjoy tons of stuff that he is obviously inspired by and even bands and artists that he has inspired.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 11:18
Always appreciated Byrne for including Fripp and Eno on Fear of Music's I Zimbra, a precursor to Discipline. And there were a couple of really good singles he came up with while still with the 'Heads (can't recall their names) that I don't think ever made it onto CD. A true deep thinker, and thanks for bringing him up.

Edited by Rednight - November 08 2021 at 11:51
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply