Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Drumming Performances of the 2010s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Drumming Performances of the 2010s?
    Posted: November 09 2021 at 17:18
In further review of the 2010s, what drumming performances from 20teens album releases really stand out for you? I definitely think of several of Antoine Fafard's album releases--the ones with Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, Gary Husband, Todd Sucherman, and Gavin Harrison--stand out for me pretty immediately. Any for you?

Edited by BrufordFreak - November 09 2021 at 17:19
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 17:26
When it comes to top drumming performances in the 2010s, the world of technical death metal is the pinnacle of percussive prowess.

Bands like Gorguts, Beyond Creation, Obscura, Gorod, Gigan, Pyrrhon, Portal, Nile and Ad Nauseum just to name a few blow everything else out of the water.

Haven 't even heard any jazz-fusion that can compete personally.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 17:31
For what I listen to would have to be Gavin Harrison, Mike Portnoy and Piotr Kozieradzki.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 18:44
Marco Minnemann... solo, The Aristocrats, Steven Wilson, Dewa Budjana, and many others. All superb.

Virgil Donati or Simon Phillips next in line.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 09 2021 at 19:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 19:13
Virgil Donati is definitely up there. Master of jazz and prog metal!

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 21:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

When it comes to top drumming performances in the 2010s, the world of technical death metal is the pinnacle of percussive prowess.

Bands like Gorguts, Beyond Creation, Obscura, Gorod, Gigan, Pyrrhon, Portal, Nile and Ad Nauseum just to name a few blow everything else out of the water.

Yep. Put Aaron Kitcher on top of that list. Its unfortunate his drumming is accompanied by Infant Annihilator lyrics.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 06:53
Tony Royster Jr.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 06:57
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Marco Minnemann... solo, The Aristocrats, Steven Wilson, Dewa Budjana, and many others. All superb.

Virgil Donati or Simon Phillips next in line.
Yes. Marco is a great drummer.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 07:30
Harrison
Mastelotto
Portnoy
Blundell
D'Virgilio

Take your pick. All five of the above are inhuman examples of greatness and true heirs to Peart, Collins, Palmer and Bruford.
The Prog Corner
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 08:52
Does anybody have any specific songs that you can point to as examples of each drummer's prowess?

Drew Fisher
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 09:09
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Does anybody have any specific songs that you can point to as examples of each drummer's prowess?

I could literally list hundreds of death metal drummers.

This video demonstrates some of the best and their techniques.

There's a second part if you want to explore further.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 09:30
John Longstreth of GORGUTS (2009-14) often makes the top of the list for tech death drummers. Pretty much every song is mind-blowing. This is just the first track on COLORED SANDS which was a prog metal masterpiece to many.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - November 10 2021 at 09:35

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 12:21

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I could literally list hundreds of death metal drummers.

This video demonstrates some of the best and their techniques.

There's a second part if you want to explore further.

AWESOME! Thanks, Mike!

Drew Fisher
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 13:05

I'm not normally a fan of extreme drumming. My favourite extreme metal drummer is Nicholas Barker. His compositional abilities surpassed nearly all his rivals IMO. I used past tense, as I think he was in his prime in Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir. His Lock Up stuff is still cool though.

Puppy must know this guy (see the video), but it might interest others here. I think Dominator's style is not that dynamic, but his fills are like those of a fantasy anime character. Haha. 

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 13:21
Your internet broken?

Marco

Virgil

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 13:31

I vehemently disagree with this statement BTW. Not everything is speed and endurance in music. These are not sprinters, but musicians. Here's a good example for you. This guy is unimaginably good.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 15:27
^ not sure what you're disagreeing about. Of course that guy is good and many other non-metal drummers are excellent however tech death metal drummers are basically jazz drummers on steroids. Whether it suits your personal tastes or not, speed is a defining characteristic of top drumming performances along with creativity, compositional fortitude and emotional connectivity. As someone who pretty much consumes all genres of music, i'm quite familiar with most styles of drumming. As good as the guy you presented is, he's no Billy Cobham!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 15:58

^ not sure what you're disagreeing about. Of course that guy is good and many other non-metal drummers are excellent however tech death metal drummers are basically jazz drummers on steroids. Whether it suits your personal tastes or not, speed is a defining characteristic of top drumming performances along with creativity, compositional fortitude and emotional connectivity. As someone who pretty much consumes all genres of music, i'm quite familiar with most styles of drumming. As good as the guy you presented is, he's no Billy Cobham!

I disagree about the competition thing. This is actually funny. You also said that Malmsteen surpassed Van Halen. I "challenged" you, you admitted defeat. And then around a year later, you said the same thing. Really, this is ridiculous. Being on steroids does not equal technical prowess or superiority. Anyway, I believe this is your perception. Neither have I desire to change it, nor do I see a point in trying that.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 10 2021 at 16:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 16:23
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I disagree about the competition thing. This is actually funny. You also said that Malmsteen surpassed Van Halen. I "challenged" you, you admitted defeat. And then around a year later, you said the same thing. Really, this is ridiculous. Being on steroids does not equal technical prowess or superiority. Anyway, I believe this is your perception. Neither have I desire to change it, nor do I see a point in trying that.

TOP means TOP. Malmsteen's musical vocabulary blows Van Halen's away. When did you challenge me? Don't remember that. You obviously don't listen to a lot of tech death metal to even know what i'm talking about so why are you even commenting?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 16:31

You obviously don't listen to a lot of tech death metal to even know what i'm talking about so why are you even commenting?

Oh, believe me I've listened to lots of extreme/technical metal drummers. I also can play the drums, can do blast beats too. I wouldn't otherwise comment like this. The fact that you don't remember my challenging your "top dog status" doesn't mean it didn't happen. You can check out VH's R.I.P. thread for that. I'm too lazy to do that now. Comparing VH with YJM is... not OK. Then, Quentin Tarantino surpassed Woody Allen. LOL Anyway, have a good night. 

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 10 2021 at 16:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>