Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Drumming Performances of the 2010s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 16:44
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Does anybody have any specific songs that you can point to as examples of each drummer's prowess?

This comes to mind instantly, though I look at this more as a stellar band effort.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 17:09
It would be helpful if the OP would give feedback to the examples given. Then we could refine our top drumming performances.

Also, someone mentioned Billy Cobham. Don't recall anything he did in the last decade. Is he as good as Art Blakey?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 17:27
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

You obviously don't listen to a lot of tech death metal to even know what i'm talking about so why are you even commenting?

Oh, believe me I've listened to lots of extreme/technical metal drummers. I also can play the drums, can do blast beats too. I wouldn't otherwise comment like this. The fact that you don't remember my challenging your "top dog status" doesn't mean it didn't happen. You can check out VH's R.I.P. thread for that. I'm too lazy to do that now. Comparing VH with YJM is... not OK. Then, Quentin Tarantino surpassed Woody Allen. LOL Anyway, have a good night. 

I don't spend enough time in the forum to care about such challenges to be honest.

I also don't really care who thinks who's better than who etc

Music isn't a contest but if we are ranking artists as supposedly being in the top of their respective game then we do have to tick off a few characteristics of their craft in order to gauge their overall abilities.

Not sure what you're talking about but when i say Malmsteem is a better guitarist is solely from a technical point of view. I find VH much more interesting to actually listen to actually and there are dozens of guitarists who are better in every possible way than both of them!

Top drumming is a perception. What do we mean by TOP DRUMMING PERFORMANCES? In my world that includes not only creativity, innovation, compositional ingenuity and a firm command of textures, timbres, tones and rhythmic nuances but also includes speed and the ability to navigate through fields of time signature changes.

If you or anybody else on the other hand interprets TOP DRUMMING PERFORMANCES as the most interesting to them or some other interpretation, then so be it.

IMHO, tech death is unsurpassed in not ONLY speed but in myriad attributes.

That does not mean in any way that non-metal drummers are not excellent or talented!

And of course these observations have ZERO to do with enjoyability regarding personal taste.

Jazz and jazz-fusion bands are indeed talented ( as are prog bands ) but i personally haven't heard anything that exceeds the all-encompassing technicalities of tech death and even proggy black metal.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 18:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

It would be helpful if the OP would give feedback to the examples given. Then we could refine our top drumming performances.

Also, someone mentioned Billy Cobham. Don't recall anything he did in the last decade. Is he as good as Art Blakey?

Reading some reviews of his albums since 2010, he's lost it and taken the great fall into mediocrity.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 19:33

That's fine. Speed doesn't impress me like it did when I was a teen. In fact, overreliance on speed can make things quite boring.

'Sides, no tech/death metal drummer is better than this guy. Wink

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 19:35
I won't post the original video. The title itself is inappropriate unedited. Fortunately this is an instrumental take. The bands lyrics are beyond the most vile thing I have heard previously, regardless of their alleged satirical intent. But the drummer is just insane. So here is a reaction video of it.
And no, I won't recommend any of their other videos. Search at your own risk.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 20:52
^ that was sick! Never heard of them but dude was indeed an impressive beast!

OK, i take it back. THIS is the best drummer EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 00:56

You obviously don't listen to a lot of tech death metal to even know what i'm talking about so why are you even commenting?

Oh, believe me I've listened to lots of extreme/technical metal drummers. I also can play the drums, can do blast beats too. I wouldn't otherwise comment like this. The fact that you don't remember my challenging your "top dog status" doesn't mean it didn't happen. You can check out VH's R.I.P. thread for that. I'm too lazy to do that now. Comparing VH with YJM is... not OK. Then, Quentin Tarantino surpassed Woody Allen. LOL Anyway, have a good night. 

I don't spend enough time in the forum to care about such challenges to be honest.

I also don't really care who thinks who's better than who etc

Music isn't a contest but if we are ranking artists as supposedly being in the top of their respective game then we do have to tick off a few characteristics of their craft in order to gauge their overall abilities.

Not sure what you're talking about but when i say Malmsteem is a better guitarist is solely from a technical point of view. I find VH much more interesting to actually listen to actually and there are dozens of guitarists who are better in every possible way than both of them!

Top drumming is a perception. What do we mean by TOP DRUMMING PERFORMANCES? In my world that includes not only creativity, innovation, compositional ingenuity and a firm command of textures, timbres, tones and rhythmic nuances but also includes speed and the ability to navigate through fields of time signature changes.

If you or anybody else on the other hand interprets TOP DRUMMING PERFORMANCES as the most interesting to them or some other interpretation, then so be it.

That does not mean in any way that non-metal drummers are not excellent or talented!

And of course these observations have ZERO to do with enjoyability regarding personal taste.

Jazz and jazz-fusion bands are indeed talented ( as are prog bands ) but i personally haven't heard anything that exceeds the all-encompassing technicalities of tech death and even proggy black metal.

You said YJM surpassed EVH in creativity and technique. And this was not a "humble opinion" of yours. You insisted on it around a year later, as I said. Sorry but, you're like comparing Usain Bolt with Lionel Messi. Speed is a good thing. I love speed. But when speed is combined with endurance, you generally lose versatility and creativity. This is the case with most extreme metal drummers.

You're not exerting "humble opinions" here, either.

Anyway, discussing with you is a real bore. Go on believing that you "surpassed" me.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 11 2021 at 01:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 01:24

This is mostly because most musicians are not interested in competing with technical death metal musicians. I prefer creativity with taste. I wouldn't want to be a prophet, either. And you can add lots of other "sick" things to those examples.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 11 2021 at 01:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 02:52
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I won't post the original video. The title itself is inappropriate unedited. Fortunately this is an instrumental take. The bands lyrics are beyond the most vile thing I have heard previously, regardless of their alleged satirical intent. But the drummer is just insane. So here is a reaction video of it.

I once watched a guy whose beats are like "lines" more than "dots". But he was an obscure drummer. Nice to see someone like him got some recognition with a similar drumming. Hahah, sick indeed. But, boring.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 11 2021 at 03:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 03:11
Here's one of the extreme drumming examples that I find exciting. The drummer (Nicholas Barker) is not seen in the video due to the lighting. Perhaps they didn't want to show his humungous body. LOL

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 07:49
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

This (from siLLy puPPy)
"Top drumming is a perception. What do we mean by TOP DRUMMING PERFORMANCES? In my world that includes not only creativity, innovation, compositional ingenuity and a firm command of textures, timbres, tones and rhythmic nuances but also includes speed and the ability to navigate through fields of time signature changes. 

If you or anybody else on the other hand interprets TOP DRUMMING PERFORMANCES as the most interesting to them or some other interpretation, then so be it." 

I'm loving and really appreciating the split-screen drumming videos--very educational/instructional (for me)--especially that Tommy Lang vid. I never knew that kind of array existed for the feet! Incredible!! I used to be so amazed by church organ players with their active feet on the bass pedals and all the stop-gap switches to manipulate, but I'm gaining a whole new appreciation for modern drummers. Which leads me to respond to the following comment with the question, can Billy Cobham or Art Blakey with single bass pedals be compared to these modern sets? Or, better yet, could the Virgil Donatis and Marco Minnemans and Aaron Kitcher and John Longstreth gain recognition with just a snare and hi-hat (as many of the old jazz drummers did)?

Or Awk, the B.C.E. Greek warship cockswain! 

Anyway, as to the OP: I'm really hoping you guys can link me up to certain songs or albums on which the drumming really caught your ear.

Thanks!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 08:01

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I once watched a guy whose beats are like "lines" more than "dots". But he was an obscure drummer. Nice to see someone like him got some recognition with a similar drumming. Hahah, sick indeed. But, boring.

I LOVED this video--felt EXACTLY the same as the "drum teacher" watching Aaron. That was not only amazing but beautiful! This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Wow! that was impressive! "Sick" technical skills employed in an artistic way! AWESOME!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 08:22
^ Yes it is very impressive. One of the best I've ever seen. These boundries had been pushed to this degree many years before, but this guy plays like perfectly. The sub-genre doesn't appeal to me though. It is kinda boring. Like a person yelling manically, and then apoligizing depressively in turns.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 11 2021 at 08:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 08:28

^ Yes it is very impressive. One of the best I've ever seen. These boundries had been pushed to this degree many years before, but this guy plays like perfectly. The sub-genre doesn't appeal to me though. It is kinda boring. Like a person yelling manically, and then apoligizing depressively in turns.

How many times do you have to shout to the world that you don't like extreme metal? I think everyone has gotten the point by now.

Some of us LOOOOOOOVE these extreme manic musical expressions. Me included Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 08:34
^ Not many more times, I guess. I'm bored. Star
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 09:24

How many times do you have to shout to the world that you don't like extreme metal? I think everyone has gotten the point by now.

Some of us LOOOOOOOVE these extreme manic musical expressions. Me included Wink

BTW, I didn't mean "extreme metal" there. The sorts with lots of "breakdowns". (like being violent and then apologetic - manic/depressive.) I can like some extreme metal like Lock Up, Krisiun, old Behemoth etc. I prefer drummers that play more dynamically though. Like Nick Barker, Inferno, Max Kolesne etc. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 09:48
^ i love it all however when i feel like a machine gun attitude adjustment is in order, NOTHING satisfies more than extreme tech death / black metal or proggy deathcore :)

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 09:53
Anyway...getting back to the OP request

JD Beck and Domi have been a YouTube sensation the last couple years. I thought their album was supposed to be out this year, but have not seen notice of it yet.

Drummer JD Beck was I believe 16 years old when these videos where released.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 10:20

^ i love it all however when i feel like a machine gun attitude adjustment is in order, NOTHING satisfies more than extreme tech death / black metal or proggy deathcore :)

This black metal guy has attracted lots of attention in the recent years. I think he is fun to watch. Should I join the Darkside? LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>