Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Drumming Performances of the 2010s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 10:38
^ i don't get the hype about MGŁA. They aren't very original at all.

Looks like  you already joined the dark side if your avatar is any indication of your true intent :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 10:43
LOL

I definitely agree about MGLA. Darkside is also not the mind-blowing sort of a drummer. But I enjoy watching him play anyways.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 00:42
Nick D'Virgillio for Big Big Train and some Spock's Beard (also Martin Orford's solo albums but that was pre 2010's) . Big Big Train - Judas Unrepentant stands out massively.

Marco Minnemann certainly on a technical level of superiority for the Raven That Refused To Sing.

A much overlooked band is Tin Spirits and their drummer Douglas Mussard is right on the nose perfect if feel and timing are the most important things.

Also great drumming on Animals as Leaders , Mastodon, Haken and the like.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:50
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

This comes to mind instantly, though I look at this more as a stellar band effort.

Simon Phillips .. (to save space)

Hi,

My only complaint is the bunch of drummers that have an incredible amount of toms and everything else all over, and don't use more than half of it, and everyone thinks they are great drummers. Or worse, 90% of their drumming is on the snare drum, 5% on the 4th beat (or otherwise), and the last 5% is how they still are doing beat on the snare when the music is softer. That's talent for you ... not listening or even knowing what the music is about.

In this sense, folks like Bonzo will always look better than any of these ... He had the touch that made LZ special, and it was obvious as the stuff done AFTER he passed away was alright with his son, but lacked the touch and feel that we all knew and grew up on! The same with Moonie ... and his use of cymbals and breaks, that defied drumming at the time ... no one can do him, still! 

Simon is an experienced player. He has played enough stuff to be able to define the spots here and there very well and fill them well, even with Hiromi ... something that I imagine is not easy since she can go off at any moment and the drummer and Mr. Jackson have to be there with it!!! Another drummer that does this super well would be Steve Gadd, and listening to him play with Kate Bush is a treat ... a couple of songs that you could say has no rhyme or meter, and he's able to color the touches beautifully, and not have to worry about staying on beat or touch ... that is really rare and special in drumming, but the time keepers we are showing in this thread would not know what to do in these situations. Another drummer that also has a fine touch is Ian Mosley in Marillion, who I think colors their music very well.

A lot was said about Bill Bruford, but he made a comment on his book that was important that no drummers pay attention to ... what to do when it is quiet and there is some silence. I would even suggest that many of the drummers listed here don't know either! 

Edited by moshkito - November 14 2021 at 07:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 07:25
I haven't seen them listed yet (unless I missed it) ... Craig Blundell from Steven Wilson and Steve Hackett, and Danny Carey from Tool.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 14:13

Ingranaggi Della Valle's drummer Shanti Colucci at times reminds me of Bill Bruford.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 16:28

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:26
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Ingranaggi Della Valle's drummer Shanti Colucci at times reminds me of Bill Bruford.

Funny, I called him "the new Bill Bruford" in my review of their debut album, In hoc signo back in 2013!
Never felt it the same when Warm Spaced Blue came out, though...

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:33
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

This comes to mind instantly, though I look at this more as a stellar band effort.

Simon Phillips .. (to save space)

A lot was said about Bill Bruford, but he made a comment on his book that was important that no drummers pay attention to ... what to do when it is quiet and there is some silence. I would even suggest that many of the drummers listed here don't know either! 

I've been waiting for others to chime in with this complaint. Why can't the use and allowance of space be a part of a drummer's talent? Steve Jansen being another master of this, IMO (but not in the 2010s). The drummer for Portland's eclectic band, The Mercury Tree, Connor Reilly, seems to possess some of this, as well. 

Drew Fisher
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:49
^If space is a criteria, the following meet that - Sanguine Hum, Izz, and Echolyn.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:54
I like Marco Minniman when he jams with Paul Gilbert
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 13:26
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^If space is a criteria, the following meet that - Sanguine Hum, Izz, and Echolyn.

Yes! Thank you! I really love Paul Mallyon's work. Greg DiMiceli is great, too! Mark Heron from Oceansize was definitely a favorite from the Naughties.

Edited by BrufordFreak - November 20 2021 at 13:28
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 08:50
I gotta admit (Mike) that the more I watch these closeup videos of extreme/tech/doom/black metal drummers, they're pretty impressive. Hard to discount the incredibly intricate work they do with their feet: I never knew they had multiple pedals per foot to "express" with! Skill, creative/artistry are definitely way more involved in their play than I ever knew/thought. Makes it kind of hard to compare these drummers with the "space-meisters" like Bruford, Jansen, Heron, Mallyon, and Coluzzi. It's like they're different breeds playing totally different instruments (in totally different universes).  
Drew Fisher
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:48
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I gotta admit (Mike) that the more I watch these closeup videos of extreme/tech/doom/black metal drummers, they're pretty impressive. Hard to discount the incredibly intricate work they do with their feet: I never knew they had multiple pedals per foot to "express" with! Skill, creative/artistry are definitely way more involved in their play than I ever knew/thought. Makes it kind of hard to compare these drummers with the "space-meisters" like Bruford, Jansen, Heron, Mallyon, and Coluzzi. It's like they're different breeds playing totally different instruments (in totally different universes).  

Yeah, i think the extreme nature of metal alienates many so that they don't bother to explore the true genius embedded in much of it. It's the modern version of the drumming Olympics! Of course Bruford and jazz giants paved the way for the modern era of tech proggy extreme metal. In my book it's all good!

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 19:01
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Yeah, i think the extreme nature of metal alienates many so that they don't bother to explore the true genius embedded in much of it. It's the modern version of the drumming Olympics! Of course Bruford and jazz giants paved the way for the modern era of tech proggy extreme metal. In my book it's all good!

A sports comparison seems warranted here: Tennis in the old days when the players were solo entities with wooden racquets and simple equipment compared to today's players with their modern composite rackets, hi-tech conditioning programs, and entourages of support teams. Respect for all eras!

Drew Fisher
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 22:15
^ You both are right, to an extent. Whilst, the technical and strategic "things" also improve as the competitions become more serious. You can easily observe this in football (soccer, for the Americans) and basketball (NBA is a great example). It is also getting "sicker". I agree with you about not comparing the eras, but technically they can be compared. Maradona (R.I.P.) could never play so "wizardly" in today's football. In today's football, the defenders use some strategies that prevent a "prodigy" to dribble past the defenders one by one. I mean, it can still be done but is extremely difficult unlike Maradona's time. As, another defender is already ready to encounter him if he could "beat" one of the defenders. And he keeps a fixed distance, and acts as fast as a bullet if the opponent succeeds to "eliminate" his teammate. This was both a technical and a strategic innovation, and a tactical "change". The defensive strategies and physical training methods improved a lot, and seems to be still improving. But, such a talent and character like Maradona would still be one of the best or perhaps the best footballer of this time still. He just would have to adapt his playing to today's football.

I still think, comparing jazz drummers with extreme/technical drummers as improper. It is like comparing sportsmen from different branches.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 22 2021 at 01:40
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:01
As usual, I'm here to shill for my boy Kenny Grohowski. I've heard him work in contexts from straight up jazz through jazz-fusion, improv, extreme metal and avant-prog and he feels completely right in all of them. I've put a few examples below.

Jazzin' with Rez Abbasi:

View from inside the drum booth at a Rez Abbasi session:

Extreme metal with an avant twist, as part of Imperial Triumphant:

Avant-prog with John Zorn's Simulacrum trio:

Bottom line, when I hear him play it hits me in my soul. 
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:08
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I still think, comparing jazz drummers with extreme/technical drummers as improper. It is like comparing sportsmen from different branches.

I beg to differ. The reason they are compared is because jazz drumming methodologies are integral in many of the techniques used in the more progressive styles of tech / extreme metal. If you don't hear jazz drumming in Cynic, Atheist or Gorguts then you're not listening very carefully.

Obviously metal is a huge universe at the moment and you can compare different bands to almost any style of music out there as it's all been incorporated (or so it seems).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:16
^ The "surpassing" and "competing" notions of yours. I only disagree with that. Or let me give a better example again from football (soccer). A creative midfielder who lacks speed/endurance but has better technical abilities than his teammates can be likened to a jazz drummer. A very technical but less creative footballer, and this time a striker, who has amazing speed/endurance can be likened to a technical/extreme metal drummer. I'm not stereotyping. There are many metal drummers that are more creative than some jazz drummers. But, in my humble opinion (I really don't like to prove anything here, this is just a nice talk with you) extreme drummers generally lack the creativity and versatility that the jazz drummers possess. I love watching drummers. If they are exceptionally talented. Be it jazz, rock, metal or whatever. I also love how some drummers use their technical skills only to enrich the music, and not showcasing them. I used to think that John Bonham was a regular, mediocre drummer; and I watched one of his solos and was blown away. His beats/hits are also very nuanced.

One thing to add... A real artist/craftsman can be awesome in a myriad of genres. But, one should utterly dedicate his/her life to his/her art/craft. Especially if you plan to do stuff that require lots of physical endurance, your "talent" would never be enough. You always have to stay fit. Even a piano virtuoso should keep his/her fingers "fit" by lots of exercises a day. The Turkish piano virtuoso Fazıl Say said that, if he doesn't play the piano for a couple of days, it takes weeks to compensate for it and be able to play the same again. I had a jazz bassist bandmate. He once said that pop basses are extremely difficult to learn. But once you master 10-20 pop songs, the rest is a piece of cake.

Music is a deep ocean. One has to be a shark! Star

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 22 2021 at 07:32
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:35
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ The "surpassing" and "competing" notions of yours. I only disagree with that. Or let me give a better example again from football (soccer). A creative midfielder who lacks speed/endurance but has better technical abilities than his teammates can be likened to a jazz drummer. A very technical but less creative footballer, and this time a striker, who has amazing speed/endurance can be likened to a technical/extreme metal drummer. I'm not stereotyping. There are many metal drummers that are more creative than some jazz drummers. But, in my humble opinion (I really don't like to prove anything here, this is just a nice talk with you) extreme drummers generally lack the creativity and versatility that the jazz drummers possess. I love watching drummers. If they are exceptionally talented. Be it jazz, rock, metal or whatever. I also love how some drummers use their technical skills only to enrich the music, and not showcasing them. I used to think that John Bonham was a regular, mediocre drummer; and I watched one of his solos and was blown away. His beats/hits are also very nuanced.

One thing to add... A real artist/craftsman can be awesome in a myriad of genres. But, one should utterly dedicate his/her life to his/her art/craft. Especially if you plan to do stuff that require lots of physical endurance, your "talent" would never be enough. You always have to stay fit. Even a piano virtuoso should keep his/her fingers "fit" by lots of exercises a day. The Turkish piano virtuoso Fazıl Say said that, if he doesn't play the piano for a couple of days, it takes weeks to compensate for it and be able to play the same again. I had a jazz bassist bandmate. He once said that pop basses are extremely difficult to learn. But once you master 10-20 pop songs, the rest is a piece of cake.

Music is a deep ocean. One has to be a shark! Star

OK, i get your drift. Many tech metal drummers are also in other bands. Glad you added the word "generally" because extreme metal can indeed become one-dimensional but then again that's the point. I personally don't feel music is competitive in nature. Some of us just have a need for speed and tech extreme metal can scratch that itch like nobody's business!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>