Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Drumming Performances of the 2010s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 08:50
^Great discussion, Mike and Özgür! Thanks! Just the kind of civil, on-target commentary I was hoping to generate with this thread. 

I agree that I'm not trying to make this out to be a competition--I appreciate the skills and styles of so many artists (including athletes)--I'm just trying to expand my awareness of what artists are out there that I might be missing.

Also, Özgür: Yes, that physical dedication component is super important. I know from many, many examples in athletics and health care that even a seemingly insignificant absence from one's craft of a day or two can significantly affect one's fine tuned timing and skill levels. Dedication is key. Great point.

Edited by BrufordFreak - November 22 2021 at 08:51
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 09:03
^ Thank you Drew. It was my pleasure. I also am learning lots of things from this forum. Let's all keep it that way. Also be thankful to yourself. Your intentions to create this thread were already clear. I would be sorry if I happened to be an a****le here. Ying Yang
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 04:13
Another great young drummer I wanna mention: Michael Mitchell.

Not just because he has got the killer chops (which he has for sure) but because, like the proper jazzman he is, he’s all about listening to and interacting with the other players. Check out the dialogue between him and pianist Greg Spero around half way into this Spirit Fingers track:

It would be interesting to hear him in an extreme metal context. Here he is with Cameron Graves, which seems about as close to that as you’ll get in jazz fusion:

Special thanks to Mirakaze, who just recently turned me on to Cameron Graves.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 05 2021 at 07:06
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 06:57
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

A sports comparison seems warranted here: Tennis in the old days when the players were solo entities with wooden racquets and simple equipment compared to today's players with their modern composite rackets, hi-tech conditioning programs, and entourages of support teams. Respect for all eras!

Hi,

Even better ... the strings and the tension. Nowadays everyone has them at 80 PSI or better since the rackets are strong and all that. In the old days, McEnroe had his strings on the Wilson (wood) rackets at about 50 PSI so the ball would "die" when it touched it and he could get the ball to spin even more when he placed it over there in that spot, which made him one of the best "spot" players ever. And using the spin on the serve was even tougher on the opposition. But it changed when Lendl came along with strings about 70 PSI or more and he was blowing holes in John's rackets!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 14:15
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ i love it all however when i feel like a machine gun attitude adjustment is in order, NOTHING satisfies more than extreme tech death / black metal or proggy deathcore :)

This black metal guy has attracted lots of attention in the recent years. I think he is fun to watch. Should I join the Darkside? LOL

I REALLY enjoyed that! He makes it look so smooth and effortless--and sensical! Such economy of motion. Does he even sweat?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2022 at 03:38
^ Cool, Drew! (I used to be Shadowyzard, BTW.)

Hahah. He can play in such an outfit without being out of breath, so you must be right. Darkside is a good drummer. He definitely has style and creativity. 
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 10:25
Sick & fun!

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 12:51
Must include a mention here for Eric Harland's performance on Dave Holland's Prism (2013) album!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 15:11
Matt Lynch.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 23:15
^My favorite track on the album.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 04:36
John Stanier - Battles

Edited by Lewian - April 15 2023 at 04:37
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 04:39
Foals have great drumming if we allow for non-prog.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 04:41
You may prefer younger and less established artists in this thread but the three drummers live performances of King Crimson were outstanding.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 04:43
Both non-prog and old in the 2010s, sorry. Rest in Peace Tony Allen!

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 04:47
And another legend who is no longer with us. Cry
Jaki Liebezeit still did very creative and fun things in the 2010s.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 04:54
And something more recent...Schnellertollermeier. Meier is the drummer.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 05:11
OK just one more... hard to stop... Charles Hayward, phantastically creative drummer, lots of very varied stuff around (I decided against his 30 minutes snare drum roll video Cool).
Not really young anymore either, but who cares?

Edited by Lewian - April 15 2023 at 05:11
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 08:06
I totally respect metal drummers for their technical ability and precision which is unparalleled. 

However, musically I prefer fusion drummers. They seem to be able to vary swing feel, being on top of or behind the beat, and all those musical nuances like no one else. 

There is a reason Devin Townsend gets different drummers on different songs including metal monsters like Samus but most often leans on Morgan Agren.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2023 at 22:07
Hi,

Marc Layton-Bennett on the Jaki Liebezeit Tribute show, makes a lot of these drummers look ... not very good. Maybe it is that Marc is playing with Jah Wobble that makes the difference? ....
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 02:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>