Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poetic album titles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poetic album titles?
    Posted: November 09 2021 at 23:09
I'm surely not an expert on poetry, but I came to think of Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971) as a very poetic album title, "grey" representing melancholy and "pink" representing psychedelia - both are of course very present in the music and lyrics, for not to mention the cover!
Can you think of another album title like that?

Edited by David_D - February 08 2023 at 04:15
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 02:24
I've always liked "The Way of All Flesh" by Gojira, especially given its context in the album. The whole album is about the cycles of life and death, and how we're supposed to accept the inevitability of passing away someday, hence death being "the way of all flesh". Powerful concept, and a great title to accompany it.
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 02:43
^Wow, very interesting, and you describe it very well.

Edited by David_D - November 10 2021 at 02:44
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 02:58
"We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other" (John Minton)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 06:12
The most obvious one to come to mind is...

In The Court of the Crimson King... (An Observation By King Crimson)

When spoken in a certain cadence and with emphasis on the consonants it could easily be part of a poem.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 06:18
Another obvous one to me is

Van Der Graaf Generator's

H To He, Who Am The Only One
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 06:58
Most of the Moody Blues early albums have quite a poetic title, like A Question of Balance, Every Good Child Deserves a Favor, Days of Future Past, etc.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 08:28
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Any idea about what the title says? 
Edit:
Or the meaning of it?

Edited by David_D - November 10 2021 at 09:02
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 08:34
Well I'm not a huge VDGG fan, but H and He are elements on the periodic table. (Hydrogen and Helium).
Not sure about the rest.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 09:34
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I'm surely not an expert on poetry, but I came to think of Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971) as a very poetic album title, "grey" representing melancholy and "pink" representing psychedelia - both are of course very present in the music and lyrics, for not to mention the cover!

of course there is a naughty allusion in the album title again

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 10:45
Stratosfear

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 10:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Hi,

That has always been a part of CARAVAN. Heck ... and if that's not enough ... there is "I want more" ... then "something that is good for your cold" ... well no reason to think there it is just fun!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 11:01
Anything by Fiona Apple but that might be cheating since apparently some of her album titles at least are part of poems she wrote.
Progressive Enjoyer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progressive Enjoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 11:03
Dark Side of the Moon perfectly describes the themes of which the album explores.
"You know what you are, you don't give a damn" Peter Gabriel
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 13:22
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I don't think there is anything naughty with the poetic title of Big smile

For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 14:09

Any idea about what the title says? 
Edit:
Or the meaning of it?

The fourth paragraph of this review by siLLy puPPy is the best explanation I've seen for this album's title:
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 14:17
Porcupine Tree's Up The Downstair imprisms an onomatopoeiaish meter, pun, and Escheresc visual.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 10 2021 at 14:18
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 14:20
thank you! progaardvark

siLLy puPPy wrote:

"H TO HE symbolizes the fusion of hydrogen to helium and the WHO AM THE ONLY ONE changes the chemical symbol He from helium to the subject pronoun "he." This represents the mindset that male humans are the next logical step in creation after the primary building blocks of matter and that a man who is filled with testosterone and damaged psychologically can usurp power and go on to do nasty things by placing himself as the center of the universe and therefore making it possible to justify ruthless actions no matter how brutal or cruel. As far as anti-war stances go occurring in music, it just doesn't get any more poetically perfect or musically masterful than this splendid album by Peter Hammill and the gang."

Edited by David_D - November 10 2021 at 15:06
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 14:21
This part is a little Wacko if you ask me. I'm not sure I'm totally on board with it.
Where the hell did the testosterone and the rest of this come from? A lyric in the songs? It certainly can't be ascertained from the album title.

(Quote @siLLy puPPy)
and that a man who is filled with testosterone and damaged psychologically can usurp power and go on to do nasty things by placing himself as the center of the universe and therefore making it possible to justify ruthless actions no matter how brutal or cruel.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 14:28

This part is a little Wacko if you ask me. I'm not sure I'm totally on board with it.
Where the hell did the testosterone and the rest of this come from? A lyric in the songs? It certainly can't be ascertained from the album title.

(Quote @siLLy puPPy)
and that a man who is filled with testosterone and damaged psychologically can usurp power and go on to do nasty things by placing himself as the center of the universe and therefore making it possible to justify ruthless actions no matter how brutal or cruel.

I like siLLy puPPy's take; however "H to He, Who Am the Only One” “H to He” in the title refers to the fusion of hydrogen nuclei to form helium nuclei, like the basic exothermic reaction between the sun and stars...would be more precise but less poetic than the puPPy mAN.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>