Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poetic album titles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 15:19
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

This part is a little Wacko if you ask me. I'm not sure I'm totally on board with it.
Where the hell did the testosterone and the rest of this come from? A lyric in the songs? It certainly can't be ascertained from the album title.

I don't know where siLLypuPPy got all his explanation from. I know the lyrics quite well, and I don't think it's from there. But on the cover is written:
"The fusion of Hydrogen nuclei to form Helium nuclei is the basic exothermic reaction in the sun and stars, and hence is the prime energy source in the univers."
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 20:00
The first thing that came to my mind from this thread was Tales from Topographic Oceans... though it's actually more because of the names of the songs than the name of the album itself.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 23:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The first thing that came to my mind from this thread was Tales from Topographic Oceans... though it's actually more because of the names of the songs than the name of the album itself.

Edit:
I find the title quite poetic itself: topographic kind of oceans? and tales from oceans? - that seems rather mysterious to me.

Edited by David_D - November 11 2021 at 09:49
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 23:38
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I've always liked "The Way of All Flesh" by Gojira, especially given its context in the album. The whole album is about the cycles of life and death, and how we're supposed to accept the inevitability of passing away someday, hence death being "the way of all flesh". Powerful concept, and a great title to accompany it.

I can add to your description, which I in fact find very beautiful and a great anlysis, that the title, and maybe the whole album concept, is very probably inspired by Ancient Chinese philosophy, as it was thinking much of the term "the way of...", and other of the elements you mentioned - "the way of..." has been very much present in Kung Fu, as well.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2021 at 23:45
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I'm surely not an expert on poetry, but I came to think of Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971) as a very poetic album title, "grey" representing melancholy and "pink" representing psychedelia - both are of course very present in the music and lyrics, for not to mention the cover!
Can you think of another album title like that?

of course there is a naughty allusion in the album title again

I think, you're very probably right in that, even I might not agree with "naughty". Smile
Anyway, there are certainly erotic references in the song Love to Love You, but I wonder if they're male homosexual.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 00:17
Bubblemath - Such Fine Particles of the Universe
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 02:32
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I don't know if it's "poetic", but Edit Peptide is a palindrome.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 07:54
Le cœur à l'envers (meaning "The Heart Inside Out").
D'épreuves d'amour (meaning "Of Trials of Love").

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 08:19
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

thought the same thing...but I do love the title....its so prog.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 11:54
King Crimson - "Starless and Bible Black"
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 12:39
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

It looks very poetic to me, too.
Can you maybe tell some more about it?
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 17:43
When Dream and Day Unite by Dream Theater
Stardust We Are by Flower Kings
In the Wake of Poseidon by King Crimson
The Unfortunate Cup of Tea by Horslips
Last Autumn's Dream by Jade Warrior
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 17:52

...as well as "Three of a Perfect Pair"
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 18:54

It's from a Dylan Thomas radio drama- "Under Milk Wood". Later adapted to stage and a 1972 film starring Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor, Glynis Johns, and Peter O'Toole

“It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobbledstreets silent and the hunched courters'-and-rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.”

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 11 2021 at 18:59
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 21:36

It was written by the lyricist of that LP, Richard Palmer-James.

Richard Palmer-James

Richard Jeffrey Charles Palmer
Profile:
English guitarist and lyricist. Born 11 June 1947, in Bournemouth, England. 
In the 1970s lyricist for King Crimson on albums “Larks’ Tongues In Aspic” (1973), “Starless And Bible Black” (1974) and “Red” (1974). 
Prior to writing for King Crimson, he had played in various Bournemouth bands: The Corvettes, The Palmer-James Group (formed with Alec James), Tedrad and Ginger Man, all of which also included John Wetton on bass and vocals. He was a founding member of Supertramp in 1969; he performed and wrote the lyrics for their self-titled debut album under the name Richard Palmer and co-wrote the lyrics of the song “Goldrush”, a song that had existed since his early days in the band and finally been recorded on their 2002 album, “Slow Motion”. 
In the 80's he joined briefly the German band Munich.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 21:46
Selling England By The Pound
In Search Of The Lost Chord
Ashes Are Burning
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 22:47
I surely wished, some of you guys could be more informative about all these titles. 

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 23:06
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I don't know if it's "poetic", but Edit Peptide is a palindrome.

It sounds like the ending line of a poem.

"...and as soon as it began, it all blew away
like such fine particles of the universe."

I'm just spitballing here.

Also "Starless and Bible Black" is an actual line from a published poem for those interested.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 00:29
The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack

cleverly made up from the band members has that feeling of the memoirs of a jaded eastern European chap who has seen it all , done it all and is ready for an extended rest.

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 00:49
Thought I'd add a non-prog example (though arguably VERY proggy in its own genre) with To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar. The title is a reference to To Kill a Mockingbird, and is basically a metaphor about how even something as beautiful and pure as a butterfly can be used and abused for someone else's benefit. And this theme is explored extensively throughout the album, which has complex lyrics revolving around materialism, oppression, self-care, and self-love. Still one of the best hip-hop records I've ever heard because of how thought-provoking it is. Not to mention how rooted in jazz the album is!

Edited by Necrotica - November 12 2021 at 00:51
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>