Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poetic album titles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 02:28
Thank you!, Necrotica, I'm really happy for your posts here, they truelly shine.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 05:01
I like 'Unfolded like Staircase  - Discipline. but Tyrannosaurus Rex must be the stand-out examples:

My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows

Prophets, Seers & Sages: The Angels of the Ages

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 06:17
This one ain't bad either: Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from the Status Quo.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 06:53
David Sylvian has a ton (not to mention his song titles!):
Secrets of the Beehive
Brilliant Trees
Snow Borne Sorrow
When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima
There's a Light that Enters Houses with no Other House in Sight

I happen to think "Unfolded Like Staircase" by Discipline is a fine example, too.

I really enjoy the following, which I also think is totally off kilter: "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch" by Frank Zappa
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:30
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

This part is a little Wacko if you ask me. I'm not sure I'm totally on board with it.
Where the hell did the testosterone and the rest of this come from? A lyric in the songs? It certainly can't be ascertained from the album title.

(Quote @siLLy puPPy)
and that a man who is filled with testosterone and damaged psychologically can usurp power and go on to do nasty things by placing himself as the center of the universe and therefore making it possible to justify ruthless actions no matter how brutal or cruel.

Dude, the frickin album cover displays a pair of testicles! Where the hell do you think the testosterone comes from LOL???

My analysis came from the cover art symbology primarily, but the song titles and lyrics do follow the overarching theme.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

This part is a little Wacko if you ask me. I'm not sure I'm totally on board with it.
Where the hell did the testosterone and the rest of this come from? A lyric in the songs? It certainly can't be ascertained from the album title.

(Quote @siLLy puPPy)
and that a man who is filled with testosterone and damaged psychologically can usurp power and go on to do nasty things by placing himself as the center of the universe and therefore making it possible to justify ruthless actions no matter how brutal or cruel.

Dude, the frickin album cover displays a pair of testicles! Where the hell do you think the testosterone comes from LOL???

My analysis came from the cover art symbology primarily, but the song titles and lyrics do follow the overarching theme.

You are definitely right with your comparison to David Bowie in your review. Bowie was a huge fan of Peter Hammill; he once called himself "poor man's Peter Hammill" in an interview. He also was at the reunion concert of VdGG on May 6th 2005.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:51
^ ah, thanks for that! I wasn't sure who copied who since they basically appeared on the music scene roughly about the same time in the late 60s

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 00:36
Oh right, Zappa.

"Weasels Ripped my Flesh"; "Burnt Weeny Sandwich"

So poetic. Poetry can be weird.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 06:42
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

(Quote @siLLy puPPy)

Ok, I see what you mean. Honestly, I didn't see the floating scale as testicles, but I can accept your interpretation.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 06:57

Ok, I see what you mean. Honestly, I didn't see the floating scale as testicles, but I can accept your interpretation.

Well, I don't see that, either.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 08:11
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Well, I don't see that, either.

Seriuosliy? That's the first think i noticed when i first encountered this album but then again i did spend a great deal of time in anatomy and biology classes Big smile

What i love about many of these older prog albums is that they crafted surreal cover art that has multiple meanings or at least can be perceived as having multiple meanings.

Van Der Graaf Generator H To He, Who Am The Only One album cover

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 09:11
Thick as a Brick.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 09:39
Thank you very much for your explanation, siLLy puPPy. With this anatomic picture, I  can see now what you mean.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 09:52
Mahavishnu Orchestra (USA) - Birds of Fire (1973)

This poetic title (and the name of the band) is related to the fact that John MacLaughlin, the English frontman of the band, was very much inspired by some Indian religion/philosophy or maybe an Indian version of Christianity - I know only a little about it but I can tell as much.

On the rear of the cover of this album is a beautiful poem by Sri Chinmoy and the first stanza says:

No more my heart shall sob or grieve.
My days and nights dissolve in God's own light.
Above the toil of life my soul 
Is a Bird of Fire winging the Infinite.

Edited by David_D - November 13 2021 at 16:23
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 11:46
Caravan - If I Cold Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You - not only poetic but witty too.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 12:17
Yello - You Gotta Say Yes to Another Excess

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 14:20
Judas Priest (UK) - Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)

I find this album title very poetic, and most of the song titles tell already what kind of sad destiny it's about:
Tyrant, Genocide, Island of Domination, Victim of Changes, Ripper
while lyrics of Genocide doesn't leave one with any doubt:

Mercenary battalions
Are poised to strike us down
Terminations conquest
Upon us now full grown
Save me, my heart's open wide
Help me, no question of pride
Save me, my people have died
Total genocide
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 08:01
Hi,

"You ... are no longer a vision, or a poem."

My own written some 30 years ago.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 08:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

"You ... are no longer a vision, or a poem."

My own written some 30 years ago.

Can you relate it to some music?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:09
Celeste's Principe Di Un Giorno ("Prince of One Day").
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>