Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to write prog reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to write prog reviews
    Posted: November 11 2021 at 21:10
What is the best way to write a prog review without mentioning every single song? Is there a way to do this? I have written some reviews on here but I don't have a specific formula I follow. I would rather have some kind of template to go by rather than winging it. Any suggestions? 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 00:03
For me, a template is possibly one of the worst ways to write a review, although I know some people favour it, as it can make it easier. Personally, I favour the winging it. I don’t know how I’m going to write about an album until I start writing about it, sometimes. Every album is different, and to attempt to review every album in the same way just wouldn’t work for me. Some albums almost demand a different approach. But every reviewer is also different, so really you just need to find what works best for you. I don’t think there is an objectively best way to write a review that will be best for every album.

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 00:15
There are a few points I always keep in mind when writing a new review:

-For the first paragraph, make sure you have a good hook to draw the reader in. Don't just say, for example, "Dream Theater formed in 1985. They have 15 studio albums". Try to look into the history of the album you're reviewing and glean something from it, i.e. writing/recording process, the vision the artist was going for, how the album fits in their larger discography, etc. Just something that will make for an intro that's not dry. For example, in my latest review where I discussed Tori Amos' new album, I talked about how the scenery of Cornwall, England and the COVID-19 lockdown affected her mindset when writing the new record.

-As for the other paragraphs, I'd suggest coming up with a subject beforehand to use as the skeletal outline for the paragraph as a whole. For instance, did the production stand out in any way? Are the lyrics thought-provoking? Were there any lineup changes, and how did they affect the chemistry of the group? Obviously you can combine subjects together in a paragraph as long as they still flow well, but it'll be much easier to discuss individual tracks and space them out if you put them in the context of a greater subject. For example:

"What I appreciated about this record was the crisp, clear production. [Track title] was a perfect example of this, with excellent clean guitar sections and slick keyboard parts".

Finally, in regards to a closing paragraph, I'd suggest wrapping things up by succinctly reiterating a few parts from each previous paragraph. For instance, if you made a point in the first paragraph about the record not being innovative or reinventing the wheel, briefly bring it back up in the conclusion so the first and final paragraphs can be tied together. 

Here's a review I posted recently that ticks off those boxes: http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=2607372

Sorry if I rambled a bit (I love discussing reviewing, lol), and I hope this helped!
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 00:18
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

For me, a template is possibly one of the worst ways to write a review, although I know some people favour it, as it can make it easier. Personally, I favour the winging it. I don’t know how I’m going to write about an album until I start writing about it, sometimes. Every album is different, and to attempt to review every album in the same way just wouldn’t work for me. Some albums almost demand a different approach. But every reviewer is also different, so really you just need to find what works best for you. I don’t think there is an objectively best way to write a review that will be best for every album.

To be fair, there's a lot of truth to this too. Eventually you do settle into your own style once you do enough reviews; my 2009-2013 reviews (which were under a different account) look absolutely nothing like the ones I write now, so an evolution in writing style does generally happen over time. Plus, I've done some weird experimental stuff like writing "poem reviews" LOL 

Edited by Necrotica - November 12 2021 at 00:59
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 06:01
Personally I DO prefer a template or maybe a better word is Format. But the content is completely dependent on the music.

See here for an example.

Edited by JD - November 12 2021 at 06:02
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 06:54
Hi,

I don't know how to write a review, and I have to admit that I am not specially attuned to wanting to know. 

I write from my feelings about the piece of music, and how it hit me on the right, on the left, on the front and on the back, and it really has nothing to do with a format or an idea ... it's a true and honest reaction.

I think I have done only one review where I mention all the songs, and a lot of it had to do with a series of postings about that album, that was really sad and so completely out of TIME AND PLACE that the ability of anyone to "get" and "understand" the time and the place, and the reactions of the music in the album, is very difficult for folks some 40 or more years later ... they do not have the perspective that created the music. It's like saying that what had become the "psychedelic" thing that became "progressive" real quick, was just a bunch of low class street musicians playing a bunch of nothing songs. 

IT IS NOT TRUE!

And there is a reason why Neil Young screams ... because some folks in America were already in denial that anything happened and that it was all just a bunch of stoned crazies with nothing better to do than say something!

My take is, JUST BE HONEST AND YOURSELF, but specify and qualify your statements, so that the audience knows where you come from (hopefully!).

All in all, it's the same thing as literature ... hundreds of years come and go, and the whole thing continues and no one writes the way someone else did!

Got the hint?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:53
If each song is unrelated to an overall theme and is standalone, then (IMO) it's acceptable to make comments on individual tracks. But it's still good practice to give your overall impression of the entire album. Is it easy listening? Dense? Verbose? Dark? Uplifting? Boring? Cliche'? Is it like other albums the band has done? Is it a quality production, or does it lack in recording, mixing, etc. How would you answer someone succinctly if they asked you "What's your overall impression of the album?" Having done that, you can pick out a few tracks that are highlights or interesting in some respect. I rarely feel the need to comment on each and every track. That feels too forced and mechanical to me.

And above all, please, PLEASE do not give a blow-by-blow account of the music (e.g. the song starts with guitar, then at 1:37 the drums start. Then the bass comes in at 1:54, with the guitar strumming an E-major diminished 7th..) Technically, it's all correct, but it communicates nothing about the music.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 13:08
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

If each song is unrelated to an overall theme and is standalone, then (IMO) it's acceptable to make comments on individual tracks. But it's still good practice to give your overall impression of the entire album. 
Then the bass comes in at 1:54, with the guitar strumming an E-major diminished 7th..) Technically, it's all correct, but it communicates nothing about the music.

Hi,

Thx ... although I don't like to do "concept albums", since in my own silly idea, most of these the whole thing is so loose and out of touch with literary (or other disciplines) reality of "concept" that the whole thing falls off the flat earth of the pop/rock era.

I'm not sure there is a single "concept album" that I would consider doing a review on, and that includes The Wall, which is also a bunch of vignettes and bits and pieces that ended up in one more album since some of the bits and pieces were already in the original The Wall, before it was cut down so it would fit on 2 LP's! The story and start in TFC is a part of The Wall, and its story makes sense within it. Separated, it just shows that RW was making another album just out of spite for the other folks! It has nice stuff, but it did not need to have any connection to TW in some of its bits at the start and in some lyrics. 

I suppose that some "concept albums" that are all music (and no lyrics) might be easier to accept and work on since it would be similar to classical music, when story goes that this is about such and such and Mahler's 3rd was for his wife ... and she still left without listening, I bet! (Or better ... she liked country music!)

The comment about the note or chord is another of my silly comments about DD and his stuff, which is not very good, and is just another "favorite" and tomorrow another Iron Maiden or Dream Theater! Reminds me of Ry Cooder's comments to an author of a book on some of his songs ... "You can't publish this! It's all wrong. You don't even mention the different TUNINGS!" Guess what probably happened with Mr. RF when DD did KC?

Edited by moshkito - November 15 2021 at 09:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 19:02
Thanks for the tips! 
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 03:08
Every reviewer has their own style (and thank God for that). When I started reviewing music I just wrote what came into my head, and my early reviews are really not that great as a result of that. Then I started to think about what I like to read when I read a music review, and I came to the conclusion that I like structured, objective, to some extent researched, and overall desriptions of the music that a release features (which means I seldom do song by song reviews as they often bore me to tears). I´m personally not interested in reading reviews which are highly subjective (although all reviews of course feature subjective opinions). I try to keep my reviews from being too long, and again that´s because I don´t have the patience to read through long reviews myself.

...so the conclusion is I write reviews the way I like to read them, and I think that´s valid advise for anyone who wants to write music reviews.

Edited by UMUR - November 13 2021 at 03:09
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 21:27
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

...so the conclusion is I write reviews the way I like to read them, and I think that´s valid advise for anyone who wants to write music reviews.

Hi,

I kinda like this some, however, it sticks with me a little since I keep thinking of some of the great writers in the 20th century and how they never really read their own stuff. Hemingway was one and used to say that it was all gone and water under the bridge. Henry Miller was another, that said that its time and place is long gone. I can imagine Picasso on that one ... I don't think he worried about what it looked like or felt like ... he just did and that was that! 

I agree that some objectivity is required when READING reviews, since all of them will be different, but in the end, this is a difficult thing to discuss ... since the review, essentially, is about you ... not the music or the album, if it were properly dissected and discussed.
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 09:13
Hi,

Slightly off topic, but I thought I would add this. I AM, at this time more than half way through on a book on improvisation in the arts. And it includes writing, of which, I am probably more familiar than some of the others except acting in theater and film, and directing it.

I like to say, weirdly, that I don't write. I merely translate the pictures in my head, and I never worry about their "meaning" whatsoever, until I am finished. Let's say that this is a sort of channeling, but pausing it, or stopping it to take a bathroom break, or change a nappie, or some other __________ (anything) is the one thing that stops me ... why? The "movie" kinda gets interrupted and it is rather difficult to get it back on track. Getting it back on track is not hard ... however ... it is a factor of how well you were involved in it, since the deeper you were with it, the easier it would be to continue it if it was possible. IF, your dreaming, or otherwise is kinda slapp happy, then this will not continue and you end up with hundreds of bits that you don't know how to use. This is the issue with the majority of "musicians" that are afraid to invest time and effort in a true meditation and improvisation, because they do not know that they can play without knowing the circle of twenty thousands, or the chords and notes ... it just states (to me!!!) that they are not listening to the material itself and are concentrating on the knowledge of their keys and hands in order to play something. 

YOU GOTTA LET GO!

Music, and most of the arts for me, is a visual medium. It explodes into everything and anything that you can imagine. Thus, the trick for me, is to grab as much as possible before there is none left. This is normally not an issue, as lately I have been writing NOVELS and they seem to pick up and continue just fine the next night or in a couple of days. Originally I thought this weird, and off, but in the end, the continuity of the material is not suffering and the characters seem to walk their life just fine ... it's like nothing is missing and nothing has been lost. Needless to say I was surprised, but I have been working on my attention in dreams for almost 50 years, and I am not surprised that this happens. WHAT is surprising, is that I am so "free and easy" in these things and they they have a natural continuity that is considered off and unusual.

In the world of acting/directing, one of the things we tell actors is that they have to learn to TRUST THEMSELVES, and what this means is that they have to learn their lines and not be afraid that they will miss a line when the time comes, and they can adjust if they need to. This is something dreams do naturally, anyway, even though we do not notice it, mostly because we like to say we don't remember anything, specially when what the person is telling us is that they don't like some of their dreams and they scare them! It's almost like saying that your body does not have an inner life that you can easily see and look at ... which to me is very weird!

Thus, writing for me, is something that "happens" when it does, and I don't worry about it. There are times when the continuity or something else is not working and that means it's time to go play a little tennis, have a smoke, read the paper, go watch I Hate Lucy ... or a football game! To me, this merely states that your "conduit" to that space is not open, and you should not "force it". You have to trust that it will come back to you at another time, although in my case it does but as a part of something else!

My biggest suggestion is to take notes and write down as much as possible when the "muse" is there. You won't get a "2nd chance" (so to speak) for that moment can only happen in that moment. Some folks (specially here) like to say that they have to listen to something so many times, and all this tells me, is that it has to run through all their filters until one inch of that album is finally reaching some semblance of appreciation at which point it gets very few points anyway.

All music, just like all arts, come to me (or I go to it) unknowingly and unexpectedly. I have never, for some bizarre reason taken on something just because someone said so, as it tended to interfere with my own seeing of it. So my older sister at UCSB had to read one Castaneda book (Tales of Power) and she didn't like it ... boom, I picked it up and read everything in the next couple of years and stuck to it all the to THE ART OF DREAMING  ... one of the best books on the subject, albeit its telling style gets on your nerves a bit ... it feels like we have to re-read the Book of the Dead again, and repeat all the passages, doors and dragons each and every time! But it is excellent.

Again, writing something, a review or not, for me, is a matter of vision, and appreciation for something that the "album" gave me ... and that can not be a comparative something or other ... see the difference? It has more to do with your appreciation than it does with anything you know or don't know!

Hope this helps ... it's a lot.

www.pedrosena.com
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2021 at 16:54
I have depended on reviews posted on Progarchives for years. If it's a Prog band I am interested in I will usually check out YT , but I always go back to Progarchives to read reviews. I often compare reviews and I find the reviews very helpful. I feel privileged to have Progarchives as a resource. It's a very important website and especially for researching the history of obscure bands. Progarchives is my main source for that and the reviews are usually great! Very informative! There are so many members who offer vital/detailed information on the most obscure bands. One example being when I wanted to dive deeper into RIO and I couldn't believe the amazing recommendations I got from members of this website. Such in depth knowledge on obscure bands that released only one album. I discovered Julverne on Progarchives! This place is amazing!

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - December 25 2021 at 16:56
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2021 at 17:03
 ^ Clap

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2021 at 17:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What is the best way to write a prog review without mentioning every single song? Is there a way to do this? I have written some reviews on here but I don't have a specific formula I follow. I would rather have some kind of template to go by rather than winging it. Any suggestions? 

Describe the good stuff, ignore the rest.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2021 at 23:50
Thank you all for your contributions to the thread. I'm reading and taking notes as I've only been reviewing records for a little over two months and it's always good to read from people who have been at it for a while Geek
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 07:26
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I have depended on reviews posted on Progarchives for years. If it's a Prog band I am interested in I will usually check out YT , but I always go back to Progarchives to read reviews. I often compare reviews and I find the reviews very helpful. I feel privileged to have Progarchives as a resource. 

Hi,

I was into the music some 20 to 25 years before PA, so my not thinking that PA is not the chicken or the egg, it still is one of my favorite places to be with and a part of.

However, my tastes in music. just like all the arts, have never been formulated based on one place, time, or anything that we can summarize in a set of words. I suppose that having lived in three cultures (born in Portugal, off to Brazil in 1959, and then off to America in 1965) takes its toll, and immediately, you become aware of the different touches and tastes. I'm not a great fan of top ten, because I heard a lot of music in Brazil and also in Portugal that is far superior and more interesting than the "hits" that we constantly mention. 

And this would be the main reason why I tend to not enjoy dealing with what I can "fanboys" that will post every time on the same three bands, but never have anything to say of substance about any other band! I am not sure that they can sit and listen to something else! At least that's what being in three different places, makes you feel like ... but the one thing you learn quickly is how pushed and controlled, so much of the "hits" is by the very same controlling record companies that the world of "progressive" was fighting against to be able to do their own thing. The whole thing is now about the top 5 in "progressive" and screw the rest, although in a few cases, I was opposed to the top this or that having the same band 5 times which took away something like over 35 other bands out of the 100 ... and many folks adjusted several of their posts which was far out and neat for me ... you finally got to see some "bottom 100" as Guy Guden liked to say, but without the farts!

Writing, if you are a literature, or arts involved/related person, you know what it means to be yourself, and the review has to be about what you see, and don't see. As such PA CAN BE A GOOD SOURCE, but ultimately the review should be about you and your listening experience, not the fact that another Rickey was used for a bass guitar and it was well played, since this is the "ultimate" bass guitar for "progressive" music ... you know what I mean!

There are some outstanding reviewers in PA ... sadly, these are mixed with some bits that should not be allowed in the reviews and it makes the listing for ITCOTCK so huge as ... forget it ... not checking it!= after you read 3 of them and one is a sorry excuse for a review and its out of time and place!

You write a review because it means something to you ... you gotta remember that ... because simply writing a review gets really boring after a while and it shows!

Edited by moshkito - December 26 2021 at 07:28
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply