Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Magma Studio Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Magma studio album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [20.00%]
2 [6.67%]
9 [30.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
3 [10.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Magma Studio Album
    Posted: November 12 2021 at 08:14
Choose your favourite Magma studio album. I had to slightly alter some album titles; the system could not handle "ẁ" respectively "Ẁ" in "Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kommandöh" and "Ẁurdah Ïtah" and "ǧ" and "ƶ" in "Šlaǧ Tanƶ".

Edited by BaldFriede - November 12 2021 at 08:26

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 08:16
The debut.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 08:17
I cannot vote! I don't hate Magma, for sure. I listened to some of their songs many many years ago and found them interesting. I have to get into them sometime.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 08:34
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I cannot vote! I don't hate Magma, for sure. I listened to some of their songs many many years ago and found them interesting. I have to get into them sometime.

They are best watched live; I highly recommend this video:

There is no studio version of "Theusz Hamtaahk", by the way.

Edited by BaldFriede - November 12 2021 at 08:35

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 08:35
^ Gonna watch it soon. Thanks.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 08:38
It pains me to vote for what I think will eventually the winner, but I have to go with MDK.  I'd rather have given some love to a more obscure album, but I just can't deny the power of the original MDK.  If it had been an option, I could have happily voted for Theusz Hamtaahk aka Trilogie au Trianon, since I think that has the best rendition of MDK on record.  Philippe Bussonnet on bass - WOWZERS! 

I'd flown to Paris from NYC to attend the Trianon shows, and was there for all 3 nights.  On the 1st night, the guy sitting next to me had flown up from Santiago Chile just for the Trianon shows, so I wasn't the only nutcase obsessive in the crowd.  The guys sitting in front of us had driven over from Germany, and I heard a lot of English with various UK accents, so it was a really international affair.  It wasn't the 1st time that I saw Magma.  The year before, I'd flown over from New York to see them in Verviers, Belgium.  Nor was it the last time, since I later saw them twice in New York City.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:12
MDK. Attahk and 1001° aren't far behind that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:27
Although I very much like all five or six first albums, I'll vote for the debut. Afterwards, it remained high quality, but those first albums are enough for me...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:35
There was an earlier poll asking for a ranking of all Magma albums we had, and I mentioned that it feels like something of a random ordering because they are all at high standard and I can't really come up with an order that wouldn't be different on the next day. I tend to honour MDK (also in the recent France poll), but here I'll go for Köhntarkösz, the very strong and worthy successor. I love the Jannick Top era most.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 09:55
Kobaïa still for me, but I like to love them all.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 11:52
I just find Magma completely unlistenable, I'm afraid.

I'd rather listen to an hour of people farting.

Edited by Hercules - November 12 2021 at 11:52
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 12:34
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Me too!

But I'll settle for belching.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 12:46
I pretty much love them all, but for me nothing beats their five first masterworks (not counting Christian Vander's Tristan et Iseult, but its almost up there as well)

Voted for St/Kobaïa as always.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 13:48
I"ll be a basic bitch and go MDK 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 15:00
For me it is a tough choice between "K. A" and "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré". I just love the repeated "Hallelujah" in "K.A", and "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré" sounds like a black mass to me. I also prefer "Mëkanïk Kommandöh" to "Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kommandöh"; it is in my opinion a better version of the composition.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 15:57

So, Camel. 
Got it!

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

For me it is a tough choice between "K. A" and "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré". I just love the repeated "Hallelujah" in "K.A", and "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré" sounds like a black mass to me. I also prefer "Mëkanïk Kommandöh" to "Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kommandöh"; it is in my opinion a better version of the composition.

I went with Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré. It is the only studio album where Hhaï appears, which is the piece that made Magma click for me seeing them live. All of the other parts show up on other albums, but the quality of the recording and contiguous arrangements really make the album an amazing work of art.

I think a lot of people have a certain expectation of what Magma is supposed to be that isn't met with the album that 90% of them start with, including me; which was MDK. The original recording really didn't convey the thematic power they were aiming for. Seeing it live, even on one of the videos, really delivers the power. Especially in the context of the Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy. I would honestly steer anyone looking for recommendations toward, as you have done earlier, the live albums or videos.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:38
It's hard to choose a favorite,  since they have so much great music. I voted for Mëkanïk Dëstruktïw Kommandöh, because it was the first album I heard from them, so it has a special place in my heart.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 20:18
The great Kohntarkosz. I'm more into the live stuff but it's all good.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 20:36
MDK > Kohntarkosz > KA > ER
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 06:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Me too!

But I'll settle for belching.

LOL
I love that song. Also love the album cover with the sunglasses fashioned out of safety pins. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>