Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possibly Underrated Bassists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possibly Underrated Bassists?
    Posted: November 12 2021 at 16:03
My apologies if this topic has been touched on prior to this...

I was just listening to Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry and it struck me how really solid the playing of Joe DiBiase is.
So, I thought it might be nice to show some love for some possibly underappreciated bassists out there.
I'm interested in seeing your selections and who I've overlooked!
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 16:06
Randy Coven!!! Not possibly, but definitely extremely underrated. R.I.P. BTW. He passed away several years ago. 
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 16:49
Another player that comes to my mind is the late, great Charles Tumahai (Be Bop Deluxe).
In the pocket, or wandering 'round, that man could play!!!
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 17:23
Bryan Beller. The Aristocrats, Mike Keneally, solo, Joe Satriani, and others. Fierce player with a killer groove.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 17:43
I don’t know if Francis Moze is exactly underrated, but I do feel he is overlooked and overshadowed by other bassists, particularly in Magma. Yeah, maybe he is underrated in comparison to Top and Paganotti and Bussonet. And I like Moze for his Gong work. I don’t know what the general consensus would be for people who know Moze work on how highly they would regard him on bass, and I don’t recall reading disparaging comments about him, but, yes, he does get overshadowed. Maybe he is less showy generally, but I doubt many would not consider him to be competent. I can’t really judge it well from a technical standpoint or have much data to say how people feel about him. But possibly underrated, oh yes, I do think so, and I strongly suspect he is most probably underrated by some. Or should that be Moze probably?

Edited by Logan - November 12 2021 at 17:48
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 17:59
What springs directly to mind is Helmut Koellen of Triumvirat, who sadly left us on May 3rd, 1977. Unfairly in the shadow of big name players like Chris Squire and Greg Lake, Helmut was also very good at vocals, and six and twelve string guitar, as well! It is his prowess on the Rickenbacker bass guitar, though, that I find the most appealing of all. As a musician/singer/songwriter, the "soul" of Triumvirat, it must be said, but rarely mentioned in magazines or books devoted to bass players. I do what I can to generate interest in this "from the heart" musician. RIP, Helmut Koellen.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:26
I don't know that Greg Lake was ever discussed as a great bass player. Now don't get me wrong. I think He WAS ! But he was thought of more as a singer and acoustic guitar player in my opinion. But I always pipe up during bass discussions to say "Just listen to it". Forget the keys and the drums and even the singing. Focus on that bass play. He was an incredible bassist.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:37
Helmut Hattler.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:50
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

My apologies if this topic has been touched on prior to this...

I was just listening to Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry and it struck me how really solid the playing of Joe DiBiase is.

"Monument" alone elevates Joe DiBiase above the run-of-the-mill. Great bass player. Perfect for Fates.

Another player that comes to my mind is the late, great Charles Tumahai (Be Bop Deluxe). In the pocket, or wandering 'round, that man could play!!!

Indeed. He does not get enough cred.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I don't know that Greg Lake was ever discussed as a great bass player. Now don't get me wrong. I think He WAS !

Don't worry, Greg Lake was an excellent bassist. I rate John Wetton above him, but both were excellent bassists whose vocals and songs got more attention.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:58
The late Marcel Jacob of Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force and Talisman fame. This video collects some solo bass compositions (and straight-up solos). Some beautiful music here.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 20:02
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

What springs directly to mind is Helmut Koellen of Triumvirat, who sadly left us on May 3rd, 1977. Unfairly in the shadow of big name players like Chris Squire and Greg Lake, Helmut was also very good at vocals, and six and twelve string guitar, as well! It is his prowess on the Rickenbacker bass guitar, though, that I find the most appealing of all. As a musician/singer/songwriter, the "soul" of Triumvirat, it must be said, but rarely mentioned in magazines or books devoted to bass players. I do what I can to generate interest in this "from the heart" musician. RIP, Helmut Koellen.

Fantastic, Doug!!  Right on the money, he was amazing (I can say that as I saw them live). 

I'd suggest a couple:

a)  Mike Howlett, of Gong - check out his work on Gong's "You" LP 

b)  Lothar Meid, of Amon Duul II - great work on "Wolf City" and others, RIP! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 22:59
Thomas Miller of Symphony X was always one of my underrated favorites. While I like the band's current bassist Michael Lepond, something about Miller's work on Divine Wings of Tragedy is just on another level.
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 02:30
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Fantastic, Doug!!  Right on the money, he was amazing (I can say that as I saw them live). 

I'd suggest a couple:

a)  Mike Howlett, of Gong - check out his work on Gong's "You" LP 

b)  Lothar Meid, of Amon Duul II - great work on "Wolf City" and others, RIP! 

Thanks so much, Chuck!  How lucky you were to have seen Helmut live.
         That Gong bassist is new to me, will check him out; Lothar Meid was great in AD 2 and also the debut album of Klaus Doldinger's Passport! 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 02:56

Another player that comes to my mind is the late, great Charles Tumahai (Be Bop Deluxe).
In the pocket, or wandering 'round, that man could play!!!

Good call, brilliant bass player. ClapClapClapClapClap
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 06:12
John G.Perry (Caravan, Quantum Jump, Ant Phillips, Aviator and solo) 
Mick Karn (Japan and solo)
John Jowitt (Arena, IQ, Drifting Sun, Rain)
Lee Pomeroy (Wakeman, Hackett and sessions galore)
Paul Webb (Talk Talk)
Ralphe Armstrong (Ponty, sessions) 
Percy Jones (Brand X, sessions)
Fabio Zuffanti (Finisterre, La Maschera di Cera) 

I have many more....

Edited by tszirmay - November 13 2021 at 06:12
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 06:13
Rarely do I ever hear Hadrien Feraud name mentioned.  First bass player in John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 09:43
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

John G.Perry (Caravan, Quantum Jump, Ant Phillips, Aviator and solo) 
Mick Karn (Japan and solo)
John Jowitt (Arena, IQ, Drifting Sun, Rain)
Lee Pomeroy (Wakeman, Hackett and sessions galore)
Paul Webb (Talk Talk)
Ralphe Armstrong (Ponty, sessions) 
Percy Jones (Brand X, sessions)
Fabio Zuffanti (Finisterre, La Maschera di Cera)

Percy Jones is not underrated. One can make a case for any of the others.

I noticed "new bassist" John Jowitt immediately when I first heard IQ's Ever. Glad I was able to see Arena and see the Jowster get his bass on. Clap

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 09:49
Fabio Pignatelli of Goblin & Goblin Rebirth. The very definition of underrated. This man has recorded some of my favorite basslines.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 10:35
Another name not often mentioned even thou a little more known that some is Richard Bona.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>