Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possibly Underrated Bassists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 04:17
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Underrated is maybe not the best terminology for this type of thing. Perhaps under appreciated or deserving more attention would be more apt? Anyways, let's not split hairs:

I mistakenly titled the thread, but tried to rectify it in the OP:

"So, I thought it might be nice to show some love for some possibly underappreciated bassists out there."

Nice list of players that you had, BTW!
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 07:30
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Fabio Pignatelli of Goblin & Goblin Rebirth. The very definition of underrated. This man has recorded some of my favorite basslines.

Pignatelli is a monster , one of my all-time faves . Clap
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 07:42
I'd like to mention Klaus-Peter Matziol of Eloy, Jon Camp of Renaissance, Hansford Rowe of Pierre Moerlen's Gong, and all (?) Magma bassists.  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:17
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

[QUOTE=verslibre]Fabio Pignatelli of Goblin & Goblin Rebirth. The very definition of underrated. This man has recorded some of my favorite basslines.

We are brothers-in-arms! Clap

Edited by verslibre - July 29 2023 at 15:04
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:18
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'd like to mention Klaus-Peter Matziol of Eloy

Yes!! I can't believe I forgot to mention KPM. Eloy would not be the same without him. Clap
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 23:25
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Underrated is maybe not the best terminology for this type of thing. Perhaps under appreciated or deserving more attention would be more apt? Anyways, let's not split hairs:

I mistakenly titled the thread, but tried to rectify it in the OP:

"So, I thought it might be nice to show some love for some possibly underappreciated bassists out there."

Nice list of players that you had, BTW!

Sorry, I missed this and yes you did tweak the terminology
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 23:56
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Jon Camp of RENAISSANCE, perhaps?  listening to the live 1976 Nottingham show which is on the new Scheherazade remaster release.  strong work there.  he was an early guest on SPACE PIRATE RADIO as well.

Definitely Jon Camp!  He was one of the 1970s "Rickenbacker Masters" including Squire, Rutherford, Ray Bennett (Flash), Gary Strater (Starcastle) and a few others I can't recall this late at night! 

Speaking of which, I'm quite remiss in not nominating my friend, bassist Ray Bennett of Flash!  He was a flat-mate of Chris Squire in London, and they seemed to cross-pollenate each other's style!  Here, dig! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 08:27
The late, great Neil Pepper of Galahad.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 13:37
Peter Cetera
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 14:57
Tony Reeves, of Greenslade fame, though I think he's more underradared than underrated.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 20:23
^yep saw him playing with Coloseum way back about 18 years ago. Dave Greenslade was there as well as Jon, Barbara and Chris Farlowe. Great memories and a very sadly missed band.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 20:27
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Peter Cetera

someone with an interesting career arch going from top jazz fusion bassist to 80's power pop purveyor.
Fercandio46 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fercandio46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2023 at 23:57
Beyond the great figure of Chris Square (perhaps giving him his personal stamp more than mere virtuosity made him more remembered) I have seen that they have named great bassists... King Crimson always had great singers/bassists, and Jon Camp by Renaissance stood out both live and in the studio. And we must not forget Bert Ruiter, who was in Focus 3 and Hamburguer Concerto. But I always thought of Mike Rutherford...we all love Génesis, some some albums more than others, but when listening to the instrumental passages, you recognize which part was composed by Gabriel, which Banks and which Rutherford. Since the recording of The Lamb... at Headley Grange, when they had to compose alone after Gabriel's absence, they grew a lot in their role as writers, and although we could already hear a masterful Rutherford in Fountain of Salmacis, Get'Em Out by Friday, (the bass lines there are superb) is perhaps when they were less, that he began to play more and already in A trick of the tail the bass comes out with its boots on point and we can hear all its rhythm in Squonk and Robbery , Assault & Battery. In that quiet earth also exemplifies the rapid scales of which he was capable, which also had the curious ability to provide a "meaning" to the composition.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2023 at 00:00
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Fabio Pignatelli of Goblin & Goblin Rebirth. The very definition of underrated. This man has recorded some of my favorite basslines.

Totally agree here. Thumbs Up

Pete Trewavas of Marillion is great IMO. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2023 at 05:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Peter Cetera

someone with an interesting career arch going from top jazz fusion bassist to 80's power pop purveyor.

yeah, the death of Terry Kath... But I do love that there are close a hundred shows with him, some with great quality.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2023 at 05:17
Back when even the "ballad types" had great bass... This is FULL of counter-melodies.

"Something In This City Changes People"

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2023 at 13:58
Rinus Geeritsen : Golden Earring
Phil Lynott : Thin Lizzy
John Glasscock : Jethro Tull
Klaus-Peter Matziol : Eloy
Ian Patrick Djivas : PFM
Ralph Armstrong : Jean Luc Ponty Band

Edited by mellotronwave - September 10 2023 at 14:03
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2023 at 15:06
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

My apologies if this topic has been touched on prior to this...

I was just listening to Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry and it struck me how really solid the playing of Joe DiBiase is.
So, I thought it might be nice to show some love for some possibly underappreciated bassists out there.
I'm interested in seeing your selections and who I've overlooked!

Bit late to the show (always behind the beat, like bassist should), I'd say _me_.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2023 at 15:51
Dave Meros (Spock's Beard)

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 05:35
Surprised that Richard Sinclair hasn't been mentioned for his work with Caravan, Hatfield & The North and Camel (often while singing lead vocals as well).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>