Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capital letters rant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capital letters rant
    Posted: November 14 2021 at 04:50
Some bands are by a number of people written in capital letters only. Sometimes even the bands themselves do that or their labels, meaning that when I buy their stuff in digital format, band names are capitalised. In my system I don't like this because it isn't consistent with the others, and actually more often than not, they're not consistently doing that themselves, so I have to edit the band name in order for my system to recognise that YES are actually Yes, CAN are Can, and MONO are Mono.

Is there anybody out there who'd like to defend capitalisation? Angry (As long as we're not talking about abbreviations such as PFM.)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 05:23
There's absolutely no defense for all-capitals--  my God, even posties Ui don't use all-caps! ... that said, how about the NeBeLNeST font where only consonants are capitalized ~

NeBeLNeST NeBeLNeST album cover
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 05:34
And a few bands stylize there name in all lowercase. No prog bands coming to mind right now, but there was a post punk band that went by lowercase.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 05:54
The band CAB adds an extra layer of confusion: the name is an abbreviation of the original lineup (Dennis Chambers, Tony MacAlpine & Bunny Brunel) and it's always fully capitalized, but the recurrent use of photos of taxicabs on their album covers leads me to believe that it's meant to be pronounced like the word "Cab".
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:02
YES, I know what you mean, but I'm in no RUSH to change. Wink
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:06
That makes me think of Komara (or KoMaRa or KOMARA depending on where you look). Made up of David Kollar, Pat Mastelotto, and Paolo Raineri.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:22
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

And a few bands stylize there name in all lowercase. No prog bands coming to mind right now, but there was a post punk band that went by lowercase.

black midi do the same thing.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:25
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Yes, I've seen this too, and it's no better.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:36
I capitalised my "Sorcerer" lest it might be confused with "Chronos". I'm not a deity FFS! LOL Chronos is even ambiguous per se.

As for the topic, I can understand YES, as the word sounds like a non-band name. CAN is also okay. It is also a modal verb. RUSH is not that okay. If I named a band (I did actually), I wouldn't use capital letters though.

There's dredg that doesn't use capitalisation. There are many more of course.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 14 2021 at 06:40
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Some bands are by a number of people written in capital letters only. Sometimes even the bands themselves do that or their labels, meaning that when I buy their stuff in digital format, band names are capitalised. In my system I don't like this because it isn't consistent with the others, and actually more often than not, they're not consistently doing that themselves, so I have to edit the band name in order for my system to recognise that YES are actually Yes, CAN are Can, and MONO are Mono.

Is there anybody out there who'd like to defend capitalisation? Angry (As long as we're not talking about abbreviations such as PFM.)
Exactly what 'System' are you talking about that is case sensitive?

BTW...
ABBA, AKT, ASIA, CIRCA:, FM, FROM.UZ, GTR, RPWL, TOOL, U2, UB40, UK, XTC, XYZ

Edited by JD - November 14 2021 at 06:45
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:54
I feel like the group EUPHORIUM_freakestra really combines the best of all worlds Tongue
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:57
I don’t think there’s anything we can do about it, so I just change it when needed. 
I guess is one of the things we have to deal with when we talk about the digital format. 
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:57
And don't forget iNFiNiEN, for mixed caps.

I really don't care how the bands capitalize their names, but I do frequently have to edit MP3 tags to make their name consistent from album to album so that they show up as the same artist. A recent case in point: Arti & Mestieri (on Universi Paralleli) vs Arti + Mesteri (on Tilt) vs Arti E Mestieri (in PA).

Let 'em do what they want. It's their name. And the folks that tag MP3 files will probably never be consistent.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 06:59

xAxVxLxExGxBxMxAxOxFxFxFxAxSxSxSxSxIxTxIxMxIxWxOxAxMxNxDxUxTxRxOxAxBxCxWxAxPxWxAxExIxIxPxPxOxHxFxFxFx

101 letters

The title of this South African brutal death metal band stands for:

Oops, its meaning is atrocious. Look it up at your own peril.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:07
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Let 'em do what they want. It's their name. And the folks that tag MP3 files will probably never be consistent.

If people had to go to prison for this, I bet this would end that practice. Tongue
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:12
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

xAxVxLxExGxBxMxAxOxFxFxFxAxSxSxSxSxIxTxIxMxIxWxOxAxMxNxDxUxTxRxOxAxBxCxWxAxPxWxAxExIxIxPxPxOxHxFxFxFx

101 letters

The title of this South African brutal death metal band stands for:

Oops, its meaning is atrocious. Look it up at your own peril.

You have way too many x's in that.
It's actually...

XAVLEGBMAOFFFASSSSITIMIWOAMNDUTROABCWAPWAEIIPPOHFFFX

And yes...Atrocious is a good description, although it's shock for shock value only IMO.
It takes little imagination to create such stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:14
^ The "x"s there are in their "official" band name. Google says so.

I agree of course. Not even a "shock" value for us, mature people. I presume. Childish...

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 14 2021 at 07:16
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:25
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

...so I have to edit the band name in order for my system to recognize that YES are actually Yes, CAN are Can, and MONO are Mono.

Hi,

I don't have an opinion as such on this ... each person/group/band will do what they feel they need to and we all accept that is Ok, and a part of their individuality.

In some cases there are some circumstances that make sense. In the case of YES, and CAN, I can see that the capitalization of the letters is probably a way to ensure that folks realize that it is a band and not just something else. Can, specially, would be a more interesting reason, since in those days, you bought large amounts of ________ and it was called a "can", at least here in the West Coast. 

PFM or BMS, is fine since they abbreviations of their actual name, but Mono, I can not imagine a reason for it, unless there already was a band named "Mono" somewhere else.

Not really sure how to even discuss this ... since reasons are not always visible although I think that YES/Yes is likely more obvious than the others.

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

FM, GTR, RPWL, XTC, XYZ

FM, GTR and RWPL (I think) are fine since they appear to be abbreviations. XTC is a definite odd one, but on par with the personality of the band. XYZ is one of those ... what? I think they named the band to simply state that the name did not mean a whole lot besides the music!

Edited by moshkito - November 14 2021 at 07:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:39
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ The "x"s there are in their "official" band name. Google says so.

I agree of course. Not even a "shock" value for us, mature people. I presume. Childish...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/5283430-XAVLEGBMAOFFFASSSSITIMIWOAMNDUTROABCWAPWAEIIPPOHFFFX
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:56
^ That should be in order not to "explode" the internet. The shortening thing. Lots of sources that I trust include the "x"es there. Again the "also known as" and the "aka" thing. I think both are correct. For the precise official name, we should ask their record label, if there's any.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>