Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capital letters rant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 10:44
I stick to reserving all caps for band names that are abbreviations (e.g. PFM), acronyms (e.g. ABBA) or short names with digits (e.g. UB40), otherwise I stick to the conventional capitalisation for proper nouns. That way everything is much easier to read.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 15:00
Another reason digital suxs!! Don't let digital create cancel culture in music......

CAN phucking rule!!!!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 15:07
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

xAxVxLxExGxBxMxAxOxFxFxFxAxSxSxSxSxIxTxIxMxIxWxOxAxMxNxDxUxTxRxOxAxBxCxWxAxPxWxAxExIxIxPxPxOxHxFxFxFx

101 letters

The title of this South African brutal death metal band stands for:

Oops, its meaning is atrocious. Look it up at your own peril.

You have way too many x's in that.
It's actually...

XAVLEGBMAOFFFASSSSITIMIWOAMNDUTROABCWAPWAEIIPPOHFFFX

And yes...Atrocious is a good description, although it's shock for shock value only IMO.
It takes little imagination to create such stuff.

I reviewed their album a way back. BOOOOOOOORING (in all caps)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 15:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Another reason digital suxs!! Don't let digital create cancel culture in music......

Can phucking rule!!!!

That sums it up neatly. Tongue
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 16:32
ni
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 17:03
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

ni

ni hao!

你好

Sounds like Lewian needs to learn a Chinese language!

No capital or lowercase letters.

In fact NO letters at all!

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 17:52
ni

As you pointed out when reviewing their albums, "emphatically lower case".
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 18:27

ni

As you pointed out when reviewing their albums, "emphatically lower case".

ni hao means hello in mandarin chinese!

as i've learned through learning the three jurisdictions of LAW, capitalization changes intrinsic jurisdiction over the name presented

as for stylizing band names, doesn't really bother me

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 04:41
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

There's absolutely no defense for all-capitals--  my God, even posties Ui don't use all-caps! ... that said, how about the NeBeLNeST font where only consonants are capitalized ~

This is a bit off-topic, but some of the newsgroups I used to hang out in while in college (late 1980s into early 1990s, before the WWW became what it is today) made use of similar forms of capitalization for entire posts. I think sometimes it was meant to mock something (as this happened more often in flame groups), but it seemed some of the goofier posters just liked the way it looked. I even wrote a script in an ancient programming language called Rexx (on a VM/CMS mainframe) that did this to blocks of text using a random number generator (didn't have to write this, was just a call to a subroutine package).

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 04:58
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

ni

ni hao!

你好

Sounds like Lewian needs to learn a Chinese language!

No capital or lowercase letters.

In fact NO letters at all!

I always wanted to do that but I'm too stupid for it. Ouch
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 05:05
^ not a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of time and dedication.

Mandarin Chinese is quite logical and easier than you think once you recognize radicals.

The hardest part is memorizing all the characters and the tones.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 10:53

Mandarin Chinese is quite logical and easier than you think once you recognize radicals.

Ohh yes, tones is a biggy. I traveled to China for work for a previous company, of course 'knee-how' was first thing I learned. I picked up quite a bit of Mandarin during my trips, none of it stuck though. Fascinating culture, and all the food I ate was nothing short of spectacular.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:05
Roast Pork EGG Fu Yung rules.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ohh yes, tones is a biggy. I traveled to China for work for a previous company, of course 'knee-how' was first thing I learned. I picked up quite a bit of Mandarin during my trips, none of it stuck though. Fascinating culture, and all the food I ate was nothing short of spectacular.

I've studied Mandarin a bit but am by no means an expert. On the positive side, there are no capital letters! No plurals and the grammar is fairly straight forward. If i had more time i would love to explore the language and culture more but only so many hours in a puppy day :D

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:24
^I studied Mandarin at university, although because of clashes with my major, I had to drop it. But it was far more simple and logical than I was expecting. The hardest part is definitely getting the four tones correct. (One word can have four different meanings depending on the intonation.)
Even learning the characters was easier than I expected.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:26

Of course you're right; in fact stupidity was a stupid word to use there Tongue, but my memory is really bad.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:33
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

^I studied Mandarin at university, although because of clashes with my major, I had to drop it. But it was far more simple and logical than I was expecting. The hardest part is definitely getting the four tones correct. (One word can have four different meanings depending on the intonation.)
Even learning the characters was easier than I expected.

Exactly. Once you learn the radicals (components of the characters) it IS logical indeed.

The one annoying problem with characters though is that you can't use a dictionary until you learn all the radicals and recognize which ones are primary!

At least Mandarin has 4 tones. Some Chinese languages like Cantonese have 6!!!!

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 16:06
Interesting (or not) side note, MUSEA Records CD issues had a habit of capitalizing peoples’ LAST NAMES in the liner notes. So you can read about Christian VANDER or Frederic L’EPÉE or Kirt RUST or Gilbert GANDIL etc. Since then I’ve made a point of saying their last names more loudly.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 25 2021 at 16:07
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 18:45
It's a little annoying sometimes, but I usually don't really care. I look at the pictures more than the text.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12