Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70's Prog from Argentina near YES level?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blood Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70's Prog from Argentina near YES level?
    Posted: November 14 2021 at 12:07
Hey guys! Lately I've been learning Spanish and of course listening to and translating music is a very helpful activity. So I spiraled down many rabbit holes but found that the 70's prog scene from Argentina does it for me best. Have you guys listened to bands like Crucis and Invisible?

I'm way into Charly Garcia and failing to find documentaries about him in English has lead to me creating my own and I'd really appreciate it if you gave my mini-doc a chance and learn the interesting story of Charly's stab at symphonic prog with his supergroup called La Máquina De Hacer Pájaros.

I think it's a really fascinating short story, with the involvement of a military uprising and a bit of drama, I also added just a snippet of my friends and I covering the song, "Bubulina."

I'd really appreciate it if you guys check it out and let me know what prog from South America you are into!

https://youtu.be/zDgBcKkEjuo
Music is my gospel and I preach with my picking hand. -Harry Chapin. Not prog but still cool. Haha

I make mini-docs on lesser-known classic prog acts.
http://SeansMusicHunt.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 12:20
Hey,

My South American albums

Mutantes (BRA) - Tudo Foi Feito Pelo Sol (1974)

Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho (BRA) - Paêbirú (1975) 
Terreno Baldio (BRA) - Terreno Baldio (1976)
Bacamarte (BRA) - Depois Do Fim (1983)

Crucis (ARG) - Los Delirios del Mariscal (1976)

MIA (ARG) - Cornonstipicum (1978)
Agnus (ARG) - Pinturas Y Expresiones (1980) 

Los Jaivas (Chile) - Alturas de Machu Pichu (1981)

Flor De Loto (Peru) - Flor De Loto (2005)  

Best

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 12:30
MIA  - Cornonstipicum (1978) is indeed one of Argentina's most accomplished prog masterpieces of the 70s in my world.

The previous two albums are well worth the time as well but the third is on another level.

MIA Cornonstipicum album cover

Edited by siLLy puPPy - November 14 2021 at 12:52

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 12:34
Thirded for MIA. That's a classic.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 12:50
Try this (if you haven't yet):

Band: Espíritu
Album: Crisálida
Year: 1975
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 12:53
Plenty I love from South America, but my favourite from Argentina is Bubu's Anabelas. As a three track album, I have said various times that I find it far better than Yes' Close to the Edge. To me it is one of the very great albums in PA.

Edited by Logan - November 14 2021 at 12:54
Just a fanboy passin' through.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 13:01
For sure in addition to M.I.A.

Bubu

La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros

Alas

El Reloj

Arco Iris

Sui Generis

Pez

Invisible

Spinetta

Vox Dei

Crucis

there are many more i haven't heard

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 13:11
Rayuela's self-titled and only album is excellent. Its sub-genre is Jazz Rock/Fusion though, on this site. Pleasant and easy to get into, whilst also being top-quality prog.

I can't remember listening to a symphonic prog band from Argentina. 

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 14 2021 at 13:19
Blood Wake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blood Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 13:29
Lots of great bands listed here! I know of MIA but haven't actually listened yet.... Heard most the others listed though. Glad someone mentioned Pez. What a rad band!!
Music is my gospel and I preach with my picking hand. -Harry Chapin. Not prog but still cool. Haha

I make mini-docs on lesser-known classic prog acts.
http://SeansMusicHunt.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 13:36
Bubu’s “Anabelas” is hard to beat for Argentinian symphonic prog. It’s easily one of the greatest prog albums from the classic ‘70s era, and probably is only not so well known because of its country of origin. If you’ve not heard Anabelas, you really need to do so.

I’d also recommend Akenathon:

And, from the same label, Lenin:

Qüassi:

Rodrigo San Martin has many different bands, as well as a solo career, and is well worth seeking out. You may not like everything he does, but there’s bound to be something you’ll like.

Other Argentine bands I like are Áuryn, Defórmica, Gardenia, Montenegro, Vlad Tepes and Vólkova, but a lot of those won’t scratch your itch.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 13:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Plenty I love from South America, but my favourite from Argentina is Bubu's Anabelas. As a three track album, I have said various times that I find it far better than Yes' Close to the Edge. To me it is one of the very great albums in PA.

Absolutely this! It’s easily one of the very great albums in PA for me, too. So much so, that I’ve never been able to bring myself to listen to the newer Bubu releases, because I know I will surely only be disappointed…..

Have you been braver than me, Greg? What’s your opinion?

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Absolutely this! It’s easily one of the very great albums in PA for me, too. So much so, that I’ve never been able to bring myself to listen to the newer Bubu releases, because I know I will surely only be disappointed…..

I actually heard this album a lot, but can't remember if I listened to it. I'll do it soon (enough).
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 07:31
I understand that you are paying attention to Spanish lyrics. Give a try to Alejandro Matos
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 08:08
the Invisible albums are great! Also loving Pablo "El Enterrador"--though it's an 80s album and a Genesis imitator, not Yes.

Don't know much of the others--have heard snippets of Crucis, La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros, El Reloj, Sui Generis, and Bubu--and, of course, Nexus and Factor Burzaco/Carolina Restuccia. Looking forward to checking out more from the bands suggested here. Great thread!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 08:08
Great!! I´m Argentinean and I recommend you

Bauer - Astronauta Olvidado 
Nexus - Perpetuum Karma 
Agnus - Pinturas y Expresiones
Amagrama - Ciclotimia
Pescado Rabioso - Artaud
Spinetta Jade - Alma de Diamante
Arco Iris - Agitor Lucens V
Jinetes Negros - Tawa Sariwa
Invisible - El Jardían de los Presentes
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 09:21
Nobody mentioned R-U Kaiser from Chile?

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 09:30
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Well, if they’re from Chile, why would anyone mention them in a discussion about Argentine prog? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 🙄

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 10:16

Have you been braver than me, Greg? What’s your opinion?

I have heard it, but not many times and not for a while. I was very reluctant to listen to it, I think that it's a very good album and an excellent return but I didn't warm up to it as much as I might have hoped. I really like the opening track and various other music off it and I recognise the quality of it all but the production/ mixing sounds a bit too slick to my ears and it is going for more heavy rock approach than jazzy approach (bass and drums rather than the more acoustic approach of Anabelas) which makes it less enjoyable to me. With Anabelas, I loved that fusion of western art more academic classical music, jazz and rock, as well as the contrast of elegant and quirky (rather circus like at times). This does sound like a follow-up to Anabelas, and I imagine these pieces had been thought about for many years, but while I think the compositions are very good and the execution is well-done, ultimately I would have preferred some different instrumentation, a lighter-touch at times and a rather different production over-all (it sounds modern in a way that I kind of wish it didn't).

So, mostly very good stuff, just not quite my thing over-all. Had this been made in 1979, I think I would hold it in much higher regard, but then I think some of the choices then would have suited my ears better.

What it reminded me of in part was Kotebel's Omphalos.

Well, if they’re from Chile, why would anyone mention them in a discussion about Argentine prog? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 🙄

The OP does say at the end of the post

Originally posted by Blood Wake Blood Wake wrote:

I'd really appreciate it if you guys check it out and let me know what prog from South America you are into!

I was thinking about making a list from South America generally.

Edited by Logan - November 15 2021 at 10:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 10:36
^ I appreciate your thoughts on Bubu’s newer material. I won’t be in a rush to hear it, still, but I am more inclined to listen to it now. While it’s obviously going to be somewhat incomparable to Anabelas, it doesn’t sound as bad as I feared it might.

As for the SA part of the OP, I admit I missed that line somehow, or perhaps just forgot about it.

There’s definitely a LOT of SA music I listen to, so including more than just Argentine bands would take me some time. Then again, I guess the OP was looking to keep around the symphonic prog sound, so that would definitely narrow down my list(s) somewhat.

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 12:45

Re-read the OP's post...

"I'd really appreciate it if you guys check it out and let me know what prog from South America you are into!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>