1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
3 [6.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll: It's a Family Affair
    Posted: November 14 2021 at 20:54

Interactive Poll: It’s a Family Affair

We’re coming upon the holiday season and that typically that means family gatherings. Here, in the U.S., we have Thanksgiving happening in a week and a half. A time to overindulge in food, watch (American) football, and gather with relatives you may not want to see but do because you are thankful for them.

I haven’t done that in recent years as most of my relatives are a few thousand miles away, so I have either gathered with friends or spent time with my son. But, in the spirit of the holidays, this edition of the interactive poll is for collaborations of family members making music.

In rock music, examples include the Kinks and the Davies brothers, Oasis and the Gallagher brothers, the Breeders and Deal sisters. Some are harmonious. Others, like in real life, end in squabbles. But some darn good music gets made in the process.

So, the rules:

1. Think of up to three suggestions to share with your forum-mates for consideration.

2. No artists on P.A.

3. For this  poll, the performance/recording must include family members (e.g., siblings, parent and child, married couples, cousins, and so on). Yes, I do realize that some friends are more family than your actual family, but not for this poll.

4. Make your final nomination by Monday Nov. 22.

5. Voting starts after all nominees are placed in the poll.

6. Vote for up to three of your favorites except for your own.

7. Have fun!

[Playlist to come.]

Edited by mathman0806 - November 30 2021 at 05:07
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 20:56

First up from me. Married couple Susan Tedeschi (vocals and guitar) and Derek Trucks (guitar) lead the 12-piece Tedeschi Trucks Band. Both have had long solo careers leading their respective bands as well as Derek playing in the Allman Brothers Band, but decided to merge their bands to record and tour together, while raising their two children. Very solid blues rock with shades of Southern rock and Memphis soul. A Grammy-winning act, they are not unknown, but probably not in the wheelhouse of prog listener. This is a live rendition of a song from their third studio album, Let Me Get By, a great listen for a Sunday morning.

Tedeschi Trucks Band – I Want More

Second is a little-known band 90’s band from Pennsylvania. A trio consisting of siblings Beth Sorrentino (vocals, keyboards), Jay Sorrentino (bass), and high school friend Ken Heitmueller (drums).  Their first indie released album was well regarded and got them major label deal. They released their second on Warner Bros. and then got dropped before the release of their third album which was released digitally over ten years later. This is from the second album.

Suddenly, Tammy! – Get Off the Ground

Finally, we have one of the ‘pioneers’ of grunge. Brothers Van Connor (bass guitar) and Gus Lee Connor (guitar) formed the Screaming Trees with vocalist Mark Lanegan and drummer Mark Pickerel. In my opinion, their sound wasn’t quite grunge as they incorporated psychedelic and folk into their music. They lasted through seven studio albums and this is from their final (and IMO best) album, Dust. (Edit to add: There was an eighth studio album that was unreleased until 12 years after their breakup. I haven't heard it.)

The Screaming Trees – Halo of Ashes

Edited by mathman0806 - November 14 2021 at 21:02
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 02:44
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

3. For this  poll, the performance/recording must include family members (e.g., siblings, parent and child, married couples, cousins, and so on). 

Oh... Do we have to present a marriage certificate or is it enough that we suspect them to f**k each other?

Interesting entry for a poll, though. I'm not that keen and busy with studying (family) relations between band members - I'm generally not that interested in the private life of artists/band members - but I'm sure to find something after getting into some genealogical trees... Wink

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 02:53
that's a tough one, I don't know much about this, I'll do some research and come up with something. Embarrassed Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 05:08
If this seems too difficult for a poll, I can change it up tonight.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 05:12

no need and after all it's barely posted.
Challenge accepted Tongue
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 09:17

Oh no, that was certainly not the intent of my message. I actually have some candidates and a couple of them are couples. I'm just not sure if they're married...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 10:47
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Oh no, that was certainly not the intent of my message. I actually have some candidates and a couple of them are couples. I'm just not sure if they're married...

I can accept common law marriages. 😌
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 10:50
so is it couples, siblings or relatives? 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:01
So, this poll is not as difficult as it sounds.  The thing I'm having a hard time with is keeping my posts down to less than three because there are so many bands out there that would fit into this poll quite easily.  I got my choices down to four, anyway, and I can't decide which one to cut out, so I'll post the four of them and you can pick which ones you want to listen to, but I'll tell you now that they are all very powerful tracks worth listening to.  Sorry that I couldn't keep it down to three, but there were more that I could have easily posted, and I'll just hope that someone else will do that.

As always, comments are welcome.  I will try to do the same, but I can't promise anything at the moment.

I'll start out with one that should be obvious.  This is the song that convinced me in the first place that I should listen to more music from these brothers.  That chorus is so powerful.

The Avett Brothers - "And It Spread"

Next is a family band that is quite well known in Canada (as they come from Nova Scotia), but not so well anywhere else unfortunately.  I don't think they are together as a band anymore, but these siblings were quite talented, and you can hear that in this song, which was written by Bruce Cockburn.  The vocals are by one of the sisters, and man, she puts some powerful emotion behind her voice here.

The Rankins - "One Day I Walk"

It wouldn't be possible to have this poll without the next duo consisting of Jack and Meg White, former husband and wife team.  This track is a hard blues track that shows off the talents of both of them, but especially Jack's amazing guitar skills (just listen to those killer solos on this one).  I don't know why they get dissed so much, but hopefully this one will impress the doubters that haven't given them a real chance.  This one should be a classic.

The White Stripes - "Ball and Biscuit"

And finally, one that might not be known so well here.  This band was formed in 1980 by identical twin brothers Jay and Michael Aston.  In 1997, they split up because of a rift between them.  This powerful and surprisingly emotional song comes from 1990 from the album of the same name.

Gene Loves Jezebel - "Kiss of Life"

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

According to rule #3, the answer is "Yes".  LOL

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:07
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

According to rule #3, the answer is "Yes".  LOL

ok then LOLThumbs Up
I'll come up with a couple of songs tomorrow. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:15
Like my friend suitkees I tend to not bother much about family relations between band members, still it's an original and interesting topic. What did I do to find a nomination? I thought of a band that I love and haven't yet used in any of these polls, and then I looked them up on Wikipedia, and this is showing:
Hood are an English indie rock band from Leeds, formed in 1991. The band consists of brothers Chris and Richard Adams, and friends (including, at times, Craig Tattersall and Andrew Johnson of The Remote Viewer, and Nicola Hodgkinson of Empress).
Bingo!
Hood - The Cliff Edge Of Workaday Morality

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:19
@Mike: I can't see the Rankins video. Searching on youtube doesn't find me another one, just this. Not sure whether that's a valid substitution.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:31
Sly and the Family Stone "Family Affair"   Almost everybody in the band was related.

Edited by Easy Money - November 15 2021 at 11:58
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 12:28
Got two off the top of my head, just have to relax a little and let another drop by (and make selections of the ones I can think of).  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 12:49
Brothers Theo & Valentin Ceccaldi in Freaks 

Brothers James & Richard Larcombe in Admirals Hard

Spouses Janel Leppin & Anthony Pirog as Janel & Anthony

Theo & Valentin Ceccaldi are also in In Love With the French brutal avant jazz trio

Admirals Hard features members of Cardiacs, Knifeworld, North Sea Radio Orchestra, Guapo, Stars In Battledress, William D Drake, Gong and Mediaeval Baebes. I saw them play live in a small pub in Islington London supporting Knifeworld, Spratleys Japs & Guapo in fantastic weekend of music. Room full of people singing along to sea shanties.

Anthony Pirog is a great solo artist and a member of Messthetics (with the Fugazi rhythm section), his wife Janel is an avant garde experimental cellist.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - November 15 2021 at 13:18
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:02
No need for a marriage certificate for my first suggestion: they're brothers. And everybody knows them... well, at least a couple of songs of them: the South African born Dutch brothers Rob and Ferdi Bolland, also known under their band name Bolland & Bolland.
They had some minor hits in the 70s in the Netherlands, a bigger one in the early 80s with a song you all probably know from the cover by Status Quo later that decade: You're In The Army Now. But they preferred to stick to writing and producing for others. You may know them also from the hits they wrote (and produced) for Falco: Rock Me Amadeus, Jeanny...
Anyway, here's one of their 70s pop tunes - quite decent, if you ask me.

Bolland & Bolland - The Last Apache:

Edited by suitkees - November 15 2021 at 14:49

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:31
An ice breaker/joke for a start. Some yodelling from Switzerland. It's a 100% family affair! LoL

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:41
I am very tempted to do the Shaggs, a trio of sisters who I nominated before and have mentioned two songs by.

Board of Canada is a duo of brothers (use different last names)

Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

The Unthanks I have brought up in a covers poll before. It consists of two sisters named Rachel and Becky Unthank.

The Unthanks - Mount the Air

I'm vacillating between a number of other choices as my third suggestion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>