Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The weirdest album you've ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The weirdest album you've ever heard
    Posted: November 16 2021 at 21:47
That's right, here we go. And by "weirdest" I mean a work so outlandish and bizarre that you just couldn't believe what you were hearing at the time. Mine is definitely Area's "Caution Radiation Area".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6XBZ86tOE

Zona - Caution Radiation Zona (LP+CD) Cramp | eBay

Edited by Argentinfonico - November 16 2021 at 21:49
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 21:57
Cardiacs - Sign Of God
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 22:06
Someone made thread about this in the past but always cool to reexplore WEIRD!!!!

I made a list on Rate Your Music of the 70 weirdest albums i could think of at the time.

I think i've discovered weirder since then. Might be time to update and add more!

Oh, that Area album is definitely there!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 22:37
There was this weird italian prog album someone sent me a link to years ago which featured a straight up opera singer paired with really dissonant pianos and murky production... can't recall the name... ariel something maybe?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 22:55
Hi,

I'm not sure that some things are as weird as we think. In most cases, the stuff is so different and exploratory that to consider it weird, is rather peculiar. 

I don't think, for example, that AD2's material, or Can's for that matter in those days is "weird" ... both those albums listed are prime examples of what IMPROVISATION can help create and a lot of it is really far out and stretches the idea that the Anglo-American music is the only one that can create good things. It might also be noticed that it was thought that those bands did not want to do things with the Anglo-American ideas or concepts ... so it is no surprise that "we" think they are weird.

THEY ARE NOT WEIRD, and I think these lists are way off the top, when (specially) so much of it is played and enjoyed in so many places. Some of the material, played at the right time, in the right place, is NEVER weird next to good material ... what might make it weird is you or I playing something that belongs in the top ten next to it, at which effort I would say that the person playing those things has no taste in music, and is making a bad point about the arts. 

The arts are really about experiments and change and have been for a long time, so us considering things weird simply because they do not conform to something that we think is the right way to do things, is not a very progressive thought whatsoever!

I can not say, that I have EVER, really found a weird album, and I pretty much got "all of them" since the early 70's. I did think that the early material from The Third Ear Band was weird until I realized its context ... it's not weird at all and much more intelligent than we are capable of listening! And the same could be said for many of the early "Harvest" cereal box ingredient bands. The Edgar Broughton Band was not weird. It was one of the most intelligent bands around. Lol Coxhill was not weird. He was experimental. 

Context is every thing ... so someone playing Einsturzende Neubauten right next to a top ten song, would make it seem weird, but that stuff has not been weird for a long time. It's different, but not weird.

Edited by moshkito - November 16 2021 at 22:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 23:02
Trout Mask Replica

I don't seek out obscure and weird albums, but this one is impossible not to be aware of.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 23:43
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Someone made thread about this in the past but always cool to reexplore WEIRD!!!!

I made a list on Rate Your Music of the 70 weirdest albums i could think of at the time.

I think i've discovered weirder since then. Might be time to update and add more!

Oh, that Area album is definitely there!

Thanks, that was fun to read through!  I need to explore some of that! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 00:43
I'm keeping a list of my own on RateYourMusic; probably there's some overlap with Silly Puppy's list. Mine's not really in any kind of order, but at the top spot lies the self-titled album by the Feminist Improvising Group, which is the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 03:41
I have listened to so much experimental music through the years that there's not much that seems really weird to me these days. I remember the first BIG music "WTF??" moment in my life was when my grandfather played Stockhausen's Gesang der Juenglinge to me. I think I was 15 or so and I didn't get it at all, but these days I do. (My grandfather was big into classical music and after finding out that I got into rock that was more progressive than what he'd pick up on the radio, and failing to get enthusiasm rather than just respect out of me for Bach and Mozart, he thought he could try Stockhausen Big smile - in the next attempt he scored a proper success with Stravinsky and Bartok.)

Maybe as a consequence of that I wasn't that surprised anymore when I heard, not much later, sides 3 and 4 of Tago Mago, and Kollaps bei Einstuerzende Neubauten (meaning that I accepted that such stuff was around and had a certain fun factor, but it took some more time to seriously appreciate it), and from then on pretty much anything went.

Still I didn't miss the weirdness of Trout Mask Replica and Caution Radiation Area (which means quite something), even though they came to me much later. To many people probably all of Art Zoyd is weird, but I always felt quite at home with them, however they did catch me be surprise doing an album called  "Pure Noise" that sounds just as what it says on the tin.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 04:03
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Trout Mask Replica

I don't seek out obscure and weird albums, but this one is impossible not to be aware of.

I concur ^
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 05:42
Area Palea. I have two of their albums, and they are certainly in that category.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 05:51
The band's name was BERZERKER, and the album was in MP3 format. It was one of my friends' random albums. I have doubts if it was a real official album, or someone did some tricky recording using that band's name. All I can say is that, anyone who listens to it loudly might go berserk. I, for one, cannot dare it.
camelisawesome View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camelisawesome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 05:57
SizeMy weirdest album would have to be the first time I heard Dark Side of the Moon. I love it now, but when I came home from the store and put it on, it honestly creeped me out a little!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 06:14
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Trout Mask Replica

This is an obvious go to for weirdness.

I also offer - Förträngt Hushållsarbete - Offret om att Älska...

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 06:25
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm keeping a list of my own on RateYourMusic; probably there's some overlap with Silly Puppy's list. Mine's not really in any kind of order, but at the top spot lies the self-titled album by the Feminist Improvising Group, which is the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title.

Which of course features two of the members of Henry Cow, the wonderful Lindsay Cooper & Georgie Born.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - November 17 2021 at 06:26
Ian

FXM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FXM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 06:58
The solo album by Demetrio Stratos (the vocalist from the Italian AREA) "Cantare La Voce" was a WTF moment for me!!

"Beauborg" by Vangelis was another odd one. In the late 70's I bought his "Albedo 0.39" and "Spiral" albums and loved them. Then he released "Beauborg" I rushed out to buy it expecting something similar but was in for a shock. At the time I hated it but maybe now I would love it if I still had the album.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 07:01
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 07:20
I found Koenji Hyakkei's Angherr Shisspa quite weird for Zeuhl standards, which means something. (MDK, which was the first Zeuhl album I heard, came over as fairly normal in comparison.)

Edited by Lewian - November 17 2021 at 07:20
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 07:27
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

"Beauborg" by Vangelis was another odd one. In the late 70's I bought his "Albedo 0.39" and "Spiral" albums and loved them. Then he released "Beauborg" I rushed out to buy it expecting something similar but was in for a shock. At the time I hated it but maybe now I would love it if I still had the album.

I had the same reaction to Beauborg, I still don't love it.
Ian

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 07:56
This one is extremely weird:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>