Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The weirdest album you've ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:08
I thought Frank Zappa's Lumpy Gravy was a very strange album. When I first heard it I thought Tangerine Dream's Phaedra was pretty weird but apparently they have weirder ones. Also, believe it or not I thought the vvery first Genesis album From Genesis To Revelation  was rather weird when I first heard it. Side two of Pink Floyd's Ummagumma is another one. I'll have to think about it and list some others later. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:17
Current 93 - Nature Unveiled (1984) - a very disturbing, nightmarish album that I never want to hear again. It's the kind of unsettling album you'd play to clear the house of unwanted party guests at the end of a long evening. Evil Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 17 2021 at 08:20
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:19
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm keeping a list of my own on RateYourMusic; probably there's some overlap with Silly Puppy's list. Mine's not really in any kind of order, but at the top spot lies the self-titled album by the Feminist Improvising Group, which is the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title.

Which of course features two of the members of Henry Cow, the wonderful Lindsay Cooper & Georgie Born.

Speaking of Henry Cow, all their albums qualify but what's even weirder is Chris Cutler's CASSIBER.

This debut album is quite out there

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:25
Great band
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
sidc58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidc58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:28
Songs For Swinging Larvae by Renaldo and the Loaf. And anything by The Residents.
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:32
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

Songs For Swinging Larvae by Renaldo and the Loaf. And anything by The Residents.

Indeed. I've concluded that The Residents is the weirdest band ever. They pretty much nailed the weird vibe on every level. Can you imagine playing live in these freaking giant eyeball costumes? LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:41
This is pretty strange too, but I like it, like it, Yes I do! Thumbs Up

Christopher Lee - My Way

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 08:53
Here's another couple RYM lists you may find interesting.

The artists presented on this list are weird but mainly for image not necessarily music but there is some of that too.

v.e.r.y...W#E-I~R*D...b+a=n^d-s \m/ o_o \m/

2nD~C=O=M=i=N=G  v.e.r.y...W#E-I~R*D...b+a=n^d-s...2\m/ o_o \m/

The second one won't link for whatever reason

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/2nd_c_o_m_i_n_g-%EF%A3%BF-v_e_r_y_w_e-i_r_d_b_a_n_d-s_2m-o_o-m/

Edited by siLLy puPPy - November 17 2021 at 08:54

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 10:10
Weird but brilliant: the first time I heard Factor Burzaco.
Weird and a waste of my time: that's how I've always felt about Trout Mask Replica.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 10:23
What I used to think of weird, seems more normal to my ears these days. 

Anyway, I offer something new in this territory (released this year) that I really enjoyed: Fred Frith and Ikue Mori - A Mountain Doesn't Know It's Tall

Alas, no tracks on YouTube, but if you have access to Spotify...

I normally don't toot my own horn, but I have my own little project that occasionally dives into this territory. I offer you A Thousand Civilities:
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 10:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I have listened to so much experimental music through the years that there's not much that seems really weird to me these days. I remember the first BIG music "WTF??" moment in my life was when my grandfather played Stockhausen's Gesang der Juenglinge to me. I think I was 15 or so and I didn't get it at all, but these days I do. (My grandfather was big into classical music and after finding out that I got into rock that was more progressive than what he'd pick up on the radio, and failing to get enthusiasm rather than just respect out of me for Bach and Mozart, he thought he could try Stockhausen Big smile - in the next attempt he scored a proper success with Stravinsky and Bartok.)

Hi,

I think that this is the same for me, and the main difference. I was already a well versed 18 year old on classical music and had already heard Stockhausen, Heinemann (sp.), and seen some of it on the TV in a couple of movies to the point where it did not seem strange or weird. Heck, for that matter some Bernard Herrmann soundtracks were a bit weirder (the Sci-Fi ones) than the average music, mostly because of his odd selection of instruments and their use!!!! A very different kind of "weird" if we use the term correctly.

My take, still is, and I say it all the time, that the bigger issue for folks here on PA, is their lack of ability to listen and appreciate classical music and see its experimental periods ... all they are talking about is the 5 albums that did not sound like the ones they like, which makes it NOT A MUSIC STORY OR THREAD!

I might have thought this or that was weird, but already I was into theater and film, and pop music (specially) was to me sort of like High School Theater ... compared to the better stuff one level up, College, and then another level up, Professional!

It's just scary to have folks that do not listen to music regularly, create these things ... it is down right sad, and to me, most of those folks are not PROGRESSIVE MUSIC listeners whatsoever.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 10:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Christopher Lee - My Way

Hi,

His reading of many books and stories are really fine and worth having! Only thing missing is Peter Cushing doing the singing!!!

Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 10:41
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm keeping a list of my own on RateYourMusic; probably there's some overlap with Silly Puppy's list. Mine's not really in any kind of order, but at the top spot lies the self-titled album by the Feminist Improvising Group, which is the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title.

Which of course features two of the members of Henry Cow, the wonderful Lindsay Cooper & Georgie Born.

and Annemarie Roelofs!
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 10:42
There is a topic here that you may like to peruse if you've got nothing better to do.

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 11:45
Here a track from the CroMagnon album:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 11:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Christopher Lee - My Way

Hi,

His reading of many books and stories are really fine and worth having! Only thing missing is Peter Cushing doing the singing!!!

Tongue
That would've been even weirder. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 11:51

Christopher Lee - My Way

can you explain what is weird here? 
Progressive Enjoyer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progressive Enjoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 11:54
Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music". It's really strange how he firstly cared little enough about any fans he may have amassed to just put out such an obnoxious album, & then be able to create something as competent as "Coney Island Baby" just a year later. 
"You know what you are, you don't give a damn" Peter Gabriel
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 12:06
Bing Crosby Sings The Blues.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:26
Scott johnson...Rock Paper Scissors
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>