Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The weirdest album you've ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:42
An Electric Storm - Wikipedia

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - November 17 2021 at 13:43

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:49
Scott johnson......Mind out of matter
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 15:15
The soundtrack album Music From the Body by Roger Waters and Ron Geesin. Weird.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 15:45
It will be released in 12112.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 17:35
WEEN's Pure Guava is a must for those seeking out the weirdest of weird!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 22:29
Originally posted by Progressive Enjoyer Progressive Enjoyer wrote:

Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music". It's really strange how he firstly cared little enough about any fans he may have amassed to just put out such an obnoxious album, & then be able to create something as competent as "Coney Island Baby" just a year later. 

Hi,

My understanding was that he made this as an obligation to fulfil some record company, and it was his finger to that company! As such, it was excellent, and weird, would not even apply. It was a matter of doing the worst possible.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 05:00
I think it all depends on your interpretation of 'weird' when you first encounter it.  Unfortunately, nothing sounds very weird to me now but as a teenager, I can list the albums I did find weird - but grew to love, for example:

Slapp Happy/Henry Cow - 'Desperate Straights' (creepy)
Faust - The Faust Tapes (creepy/out there/ etc.)
Pink Floyd - a 71 European bootleg I bought on a school trip (far out)

Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 08:11
In my very early teens two albums that my brother had that I found " difficult ".

Tago Mago by Can.

White Light White Heat by Velvrt Underground.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 08:18
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I think it all depends on your interpretation of 'weird' when you first encounter it.  Unfortunately, nothing sounds very weird to me now but as a teenager, I can list the albums I did find weird - but grew to love, for example:

Slapp Happy/Henry Cow - 'Desperate Straights' (creepy)
Faust - The Faust Tapes (creepy/out there/ etc.)
Pink Floyd - a 71 European bootleg I bought on a school trip (far out)

I'm the same. Nothing sounds weird to me now, just different.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 08:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music". It's really strange how he firstly cared little enough about any fans he may have amassed to just put out such an obnoxious album, & then be able to create something as competent as "Coney Island Baby" just a year later. 

Hi,

My understanding was that he made this as an obligation to fulfil some record company, and it was his finger to that company! As such, it was excellent, and weird, would not even apply. It was a matter of doing the worst possible.

Mike Oldfield's wonderfully weird but fully listenable Amarok was made for the same reason.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 09:15
Something by Igor Wakhevitch. Probably Les Fous de L'Or or Let's Start. He had a genuinely singular approach to music. 
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 09:48

Hi,

I think his attitude to the work wasn't entirely straightforward, and he also gave different views on it at different times, sometimes dismissive but other times not. Based on some later interviews I've read he was genuinely absorbed in the experimentation that gave rise to the album, and considered it a piece that had its own value and integrity. Of course given the nature of the thing, it could both be that and a raised finger to the record company at the same time.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 10:31
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

It will be released in 12112.

Geez, that's 10,091 years!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 10:32
On first listen (around the time I was 13 or so), I thought Rush's Caress of Steel was pretty damned weird when I got to The Necromancer and then Fountain of Lamneth. 

In more recent times, I was weirded out when I tried Trout Mask Replica. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 15:47
Anything Diamanda Galás immediately springs to mind...
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 15:47
Fun post / thread. I won't name one as 'most strange', but here are a few up there:

Metal Machine Music (Lou Reed)
A lotta stuff from (Magma)
Wafer of Darkness (Three Day Stubble)
Music, Martinis and Misanthropy (Boyd Rice & Friends)
Philosophy of the World (The Shaggs)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:26
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

In my very early teens two albums that my brother had that I found " difficult ".

Tago Mago by Can.

White Light White Heat by Velvrt Underground.

Hi,

Tago Mago, according to Holger in CAN's website a few years ago, was culled from at least 20 hours of IMPROVISATIONS, and according to him, a lot of it was taken without any look at the music and then just glued together.

There is no doubt in anyone's mind, that the two long cuts are improvisations, specially the kind of improvisations that most musicians are afraid of ... because it is obvious that there is no rhyme, or meter, to go by and everyone is on their own. 

The question is ... is an improvisation weird ... well to me it isn't and it is a factor of each person's ability to do something that normally would not be done, but in the case of CAN, it shows how well they were AWARE, and knew WHAT an "improvisation" was all about and had seen  enough samples on the street (Damo was picked up from busking on the streets!!!) and everywhere else, with many folks doing different things, and only Archie Patterson's EUROCK book is capable of giving us a really personal view of those days in his book, a collection of all the magazines he had put together from his first days. It is amazing that so many folks did this, and we completely IGNORE IT, and are even more afraid to say anything, since it means that what you might want to say has no relation whatsoever to the whole thing. 

In the Krock special, one of the bits that are crazy, but valid, is one of the members of FAUST going around with various sticks hitting some cement drums and machinery ... and calling it music. In the PA sandlotkidgrounds, we are not ready, and likely NEVER will be, to accept that as music and then help define it.

I have not heard the VU album in its entirety yet and am reserving judgement, but in my book, nothing that the VU ever did was weird ... it was very NY, and quite candid about its life, loves, and every thing else, including Andy meant nothing! I may have heard it before but did not "register" it in my mind and I will fix that before saying much about it.  However, I will state that VU is not weird, and probably, more than many, is actually very personal to each member's experience at a time when we were not exactly ready to face the raw nature of many of these comments, and even the literary/artistic side of this movement is very scary and strange for many of us. By comparison, Krock was much more open and really about the improvisations, and it did not concern itself with words for a long time. 

(PS: A book that has a lot of this, is Patti Smith's book about her time and specially Mapplethorpe. Highly recommended, and you can read a different book, almost leaving all that behind in Kin Gordon's book, which is more about the art scene, than it is about her band's music, except how her and her boyfriend/husband made the music.)

(PS2: You can see by the choices that many people here are not comfortable with improvisation at all ... FAUST, CAN and most of the Krock folks, do not fit into a weird thing at all ... they all are very well done extensions of the improvisational scene at the time. Might as well consider a recording of the old drum circles in a Grateful Dead concert, weird ... they were not weird ... they were neat events that brought a lot of folks together to enjoy a communal moment. A lot of Krock is about that, and eventually, AD2 rips into it with their first album!)

Edited by moshkito - November 20 2021 at 06:34
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:41
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is pretty strange too, but I like it, like it, Yes I do! Thumbs Up

Christopher Lee - My Way

can you explain what is weird here? 

thank you Paul for never giving a damn for a simple answer. Ouch
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:53

Christopher Lee - My Way

Hi,

I was thinking that Christopher Lee's screams when Peter Cushing was about to do him in, were always the best guitar solo EVER ... I'm not sure that Paul has imagined that before!

Edited by moshkito - November 20 2021 at 06:53
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:54

Christopher Lee - My Way

Hi,

I was thinking that Christopher Lee's screams when Peter Cushing was about to do him in, were always the best guitar solo EVER ... I'm not sure that Paul has imagined that before!

thank you for the pointless answer Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>