Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The weirdest album you've ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 13:19
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

by "weirdest" I mean a work so outlandish and bizarre that you just couldn't believe what you were hearing at the time. 

So maybe it would be better with more tolerating word than "weirdest".
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 13:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is pretty strange too, but I like it, like it, Yes I do! Thumbs Up
Christopher Lee - My Way
can you explain what is weird here? 
thank you Paul for never giving a damn for a simple answer. Ouch

Crist, what's the point? Shocked
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 13:42
Well I remember listening to some of Stockhausen´s works, and finding them pretty damn weird.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 14:48
For me, it was Fantomas' Delirium Cordia.  

Trout Mask Replica is definitely another candidate.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 22:00
Mr Bungle has crafted some of the weirdest music to be heard.

Just check out this track from the über-weird DISCO VOLANTE album.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 07:48
Hi,

I always thought that some of the electronic stuff that was being considered "classical music" and experimental in the 60's was far more weird than just about anything we list here. The hard part of that was that a lot of "classical music" was mired in interpretations that were out of town, and the album covers were ... really out of this planet, and giving us ideas that in my book had nothing to do with the music itself. So someone puts together a requiem, and the album is full of skeletons and little demons and fires and what not, and I'm not sure this is good for any music. Today (TODAY), most bands like to show off that side because it makes them cool with a large segment of the buying public!

In all honesty,, while I did not dislike anything on that era of electronic material, for my tastes much of it was devoid of personality, something that I got to see first hand in the late 70's and early 80's on my days at UCSB, when almost all the music students thought that great composition meant just changing one note here or there so it would not sound conventional ... I don't think they "felt" their music whatsoever, which is usually the main thing that we get attracted to in it!

Some of the albums listed here, are hard to describe and even discuss. The ones I do not care for are the ones that have nothing better to do than turn it all into a song ... that just takes the cake! But there are things that I'm not sure are actually weird, and in a different sort of way it has a "story" that we can sit and follow, and while it may not be preferable or pretty, it is, nevertheless, interesting. I find things like White Noise's great album interesting and very strong, and then hearing Cottonwood Hill later, even more so, and in many ways, Cottonwood Hill is no where near weird, if that state of mind is more common that we give it credit for ... and I think we just think it is weird just because it sounds crazy, but to me, a person's mind is NOT CRAZY ... different maybe, but not crazy. I have played that to two ladies in my time, and they both said that sometimes it was more confused during various times, and even more difficult to express, and one of them said that it was rather far out that someone could actually express some of that, something that even literature has a really hard time to do ... too slow for the events! Sound recordings, are much "faster" and can pick up the events better.

The one thing to remember ... almost 100 years ago, people screamed and left the theater when a gun pointed itself to the camera and shot. A lot of folks did not like it and there were attempts to even shut down some theaters, and the new "this or that" was evil. Guess what we are doing? We're merely saying it is weird, because of this or that ... or maybe we don't understand it, or know about it. But, all in all, for me, the human mind and spirit is not weird, and has been what the ARTS are all about for millennia, thus seeing things like this, regardless of title (some bands love to flatulate themselves in their titles!) is not crazy or stupid ... sometimes it is even silly, and White Noise's album even gives us a few fun songs, and it makes you wonder how this and that go together in the same room ... well, I think we can safely say, it's the same person. Some of them do not compromise, or confuse you, but I wonder about that when the cover of the album has a picture of the band! 

Edited by moshkito - November 21 2021 at 07:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:30
Thank you to all those who are participating. Some have questioned the word "weirdest", as if I were discriminating or minimising the merit of the albums named. I think it is clear that the list that will be put together here will be made with respect for each musician involved and that it is simply about remembering our most curious experience, the one that has taken us completely out of our comfort zone and into lands where even fear appeared in the form of strange and unknown melodies for us. A hug to all of you!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 10:19
I always thought the band Makkiwhipdies was pretty strange. I wasn't able to upload their music from youtube here(for whatever reason)but you can listen to them on youtube. Their album "his name is nnnnnn"(even the title is stranage) isn't annoyingly weird or disturbing it's more like weird in a fun way but I it's definitely stranger than most bands in that style(instrumental symph prog?).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 21 2021 at 10:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 11:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I always thought the band Makkiwhipdies was pretty strange. I wasn't able to upload their music from youtube here(for whatever reason)but you can listen to them on youtube. Their album "his name is nnnnnn"(even the title is stranage) isn't annoyingly weird or disturbing it's more like weird in a fun way but I it's definitely stranger than most bands in that style(instrumental symph prog?).

Released on Bandcamp under the name David Cosgrove.
Entire album can be heard here...

http://https://davidcosgrove.bandcamp.com/album/makki1-makkiwhipdies-musical-extravaganza

Honestly, it sounds like it was highly influenced by The Residents only with a few more prog workouts

Edited by siLLy puPPy - November 21 2021 at 11:21

M00NMADNESSyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M00NMADNESSyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2022 at 15:13
pawn hearts by van der graaf generator is a pretty weird album and also one of my favourites
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2022 at 20:41
Gong - You ..is often described as weird. Perhaps the zany bits, the spacey more ambient sections with Gilli Smyth whispering Diana, and the flow of the album with one odd sounding piece into the next affects a number of people in that way.

Ron Geesin- Right Through ...Oddball ideas throughout the album may place it in the "music from the other side of the fence category.

Mort Garson- Black Mass/Lucifer....The music captures the vibe of the dark, mysterious, ritualistic side to the occult brilliantly. Even though it's synthesizer in 1971 ...it moves forward with the on going vibe of the supernatural throughout during the progression of the album's themes.

The Residents- Mark Of The Mole...The story enhanced by the music comes across oddballish..although they have been termed as Avant-garde...it's actually their own formula producing a certain style and sound within certain boundaries of experimental Avant-garde..perhaps not unlike Ron Geesin in a sense.

Jeff Grienke- Timbral Planes...An Electronic artist who was subjected to industrial sounds for years living in Western Pennsylvania and developing the affect of it through Electronic Music..

Throbbing Gristle- In The Shadow Of The Sun...This is from the same swamp in hell as Timbral Planes , but less constructed and more like improvised noise and definitely ritualistic. The guitar sounds like a vacuum cleaner and the keyboards are hellish. It's not musical at all. The voices which moan, weep, chant, and scream provide a 2 second delay /echo ..which causes the voices to sound off in the distance which has amazing similarities to the sound of a cult performing a ritual in the woods

Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2022 at 21:33
For weird, as well as pure self indulgence nothing fits the bill quite like the first three Lennon "solo" albums, Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins, Unfinished Music No. 2: Life with the Lions and  Wedding Album.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 10:24
Anything by Samla Mammas Manna
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 10:54
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

It will be released in 12112.

Geez, that's 10,091 years!

…well past the extinction of Homo sapiens sapiens, perhaps into the next version of Earth-based humans!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 12:17
wow, missed this thread during its first life

how weird!! LOL

That's right, here we go. And by "weirdest" I mean a work so outlandish and bizarre that you just couldn't believe what you were hearing at the time. Mine is definitely Area's "Caution Radiation Area".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6XBZ86tOE

Zona - Caution Radiation Zona (LP+CD) Cramp | eBay

I guess you've read my review about this album.Wink
It's fully explained and it will not be weird anymore once you've understood my explanations.Evil Smile

Thanks for the substancial  check to come in the mail Big smile

====================

Otherwise, from Zappa, only Gravy is "weird", the rest is bizarre or silly.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 08 2022 at 12:19
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 15:08
FZ 200 Motels
Lou Reed Metal music machine
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 00:27
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

wow, missed this thread during its first life

how weird!! LOL

That's right, here we go. And by "weirdest" I mean a work so outlandish and bizarre that you just couldn't believe what you were hearing at the time. Mine is definitely Area's "Caution Radiation Area".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6XBZ86tOE

Zona - Caution Radiation Zona (LP+CD) Cramp | eBay

I guess you've read my review about this album.Wink
It's fully explained and it will not be weird anymore once you've understood my explanations.Evil Smile

Thanks for the substancial  check to come in the mail Big smile

====================

Otherwise, from Zappa, only Gravy is "weird", the rest is bizarre or silly.

I think Civilization Phaze III is pretty weird in the vein of Lumpy Gravy.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2022 at 17:41
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 16:38
Try ... Die anarschistische Abendunterhaltung
from belgium
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 17:31
For a musical album, one dedicated to hogs is pretty weird.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - April 11 2022 at 17:31

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>