Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to define and classify "Progressive Rock"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to define and classify "Progressive Rock"?
    Posted: November 19 2021 at 00:39

The starting point for this blog is an article I wrote something about 11-12 years ago, and which was discussed on PA in the blog http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72615&FID=58 .

Even being quite an old thing, I think it still can be very useful in relation to get acquainted with different Prog definitions, and maybe as starting point for some new thoughts and discussions about this topic. My suggestion for a definition here is for Progressive Rock if understood as a meta-genre.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it!

HOW TO DEFINE AND CLASSIFY PROGRESSIVE ROCK?  (V4)

What can be regarded as a global Prog community often makes use of several, or even quite a lot, different sub-genres of Progressive Rock, but is it also possible to give some theoretical grounds for doing so?

By DAVID H, November 2010 (a bit of changes made Nov. 2021 - Jan. 2022)

The subject of what has to be considered as Progressive Rock has surely been not so little of a struggle in the history of the genre, and still seems to need a lot of more clarifying. It also seems to me as a rather large part of the debating has somehow had wrong starting point and because of that, has not been particular fruitful.

How so? Well, I think that many of the discussions made assumed Progressive Rock to be a certain music, and then the involved parts could not agree whether, for instance, a certain band, let us say Pink Floyd, played this kind of music. But in my opinion, we have to start with understanding Progressive Rock as first and foremost a word, a term, and then, depending on how we define this term, we can determine whether a certain band can be characterized as progressive or not.

What is it all about?

I better explain this further because, before trying to make a definition, it is a very good idea to have a quite clear notion of what all this defining business actually is about and what shall be the theoretical purpose of it. So, let us start to state that the concrete reality of the music world consists, among other things, of bands (or solo artists, but for convenience’s sake, let us just say bands), each playing in some way different music. Some parts of these bands have certain similarities and a part play even very similar kind of music. These similarities can be described and named, or labeled. As we surely know, many musicians for different reasons don’t like being labeled, but for fans and other persons interested in music, it can be very convenient to have terms to describe different kinds of music. And if these terms have to be useful in a good way, we need to define them more or less precisely.

To define them means to classify or to bring in, in our heads, some order and get a general view of the concrete reality of the very complex world of bands and different music; and it is, as already mentioned, like to invent some labels which we can use to describe the music being played. These labels can have different sizes, so they either can be small and only used in connection with those bands who play very similar kind of music -- in that case we talk about narrow definitions. Or they can be larger and used with less similar bands and then called broader definitions.

Making definitions, we also try to put focus on or demarcate a specific part of the concrete reality of the music world, and depending on whether our definitions are narrow or broad, the demarcated parts are smaller or bigger. When we have made a specific definition by clarifying which criteria shall be applied by using a certain term, for instance progressive rock, we can in principle more or less exactly decide which bands we are talking about; and then further find out what is specific about these bands and their music. So, as regards to the very beginning of this article, I will conclude here that all the discussions of the characteristics of Progressive Rock have to start with the question of the definition of the genre.

Two more aspects are needed to be mentioned in these initial considerations: 1. The question of the definitions in general, and concerning Prog-Rock in particular, is in my opinion to some extent a matter of, if not just taste, certainly some subjective preferences, especially as regards whether to use a more narrow or a broader way of defining – the latter one being very important for my approach. On the other hand, it cannot be said to be arbitrary, so one definition is as good as another. A good definition must possess inner obvious logic and coherence, just as some definitions can be more practical and have other advantages comparing with other definitions.

2. The process of defining can be very complex. When a definition is made, it has to be evaluated with that part of reality it is supposed to concern, which I guess in most cases leads to some need of improvement, evaluating again, and so on. In connection with music styles, the process must be still on-going due to the never ending changes of the music over the time. 

So, all of you theoretically minded friends welcome to a show that never ends.

Some definitions made/used in the past

Looking now at some definitions made/used in the past, the main books written in English, which have attempted to describe progressive rock as a genre, seem to be:

Edward Macan: Rocking the Classics: English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture. Oxford University Press 1997.

Paul Stump: The Music’s All that Matters: A History of Progressive Rock. Quartet Books 1997.

Bill Martin: Listening to the Future: The time of progressive rock, 1968-1978. Open Court 1998.

Jerry Lucky: The Progressive Rock Files. Collector’s Guide Publishing 2000.

To start with, Edward Macan, who indeed offers the most thorough analysis of his subject, in the matter of definition and as the title of the book suggests, Macan sticks to the tradition which limits progressive rock to being symphonic rock; that is “…mainly a classical/rock fusion with some folk and jazz elements included…” (p. 27).  It has to be added though that even as Macan considers Jazz-Rock and Folk-Rock as styles different from Progressive (Symphonic) Rock, he finds some parts of them to be related to the latter. This applies to a lesser extent to some of Heavy Metal, too, and avant-garde electronic music and Minimalism (pp. 126-143).

Paul Stump’s definition has rather different focus point than Macan’s and finds similarities among progressive bands in what he calls shared ideology: in their considering themselves as not just musicians but as artists “…driven by high Romantic notions of personal expression and originality, individual authenticity, honesty and similar praiseworthy universals.” (p. 10). The term Progressive contains also in Stump’s point of view the phenomenon that the music is in a state of permanent evolution. This way of regarding Progressive Rock allows Stump to apply much broader musical scope than Macan, including some bands playing Jazz-Rock, Folk-Rock, Avant-Prog, Space-Rock and even a bit of Electronic Rock. On the other hand, I would say it is more precise and can be altogether better to define Prog-Rock by means of music styles, like Macan does.

Bill Martin’s criteria for qualifying the genre results in an almost as broad musical scope as Stump’s, except from Electronic Rock. Also in a way similarly to Stump, he has some claims that the music has to be visionary and played “…by musicians who have consummate instrumental and compositional skills…” (p. 121) - that is, in fact, be virtuosos. Further, Martin considers Progressive Rock as in its core a phenomenon of English culture, which he, by the way, shares with Macan and Stump, and “…expressive of romantic and prophetic aspects of that culture.” (p. 121). Should the latter be used as criteria in the definition of Progressive Rock, it will of course limit the genre quite a lot.

The last of the here presented authors, Jerry Lucky, defines Prog-Rock by means of 10 strictly musical criteria (4th edition, p. 132, 133). They offer indeed a very precise definition as they are very specific, concerning the type of styles, compositions, arrangements and instruments used. Looking at his book as a whole, it is not quite obvious for me which styles Lucky will include under the banner of Progressive Rock. I’m afraid though, his 10 claims, if all or maybe even just most of them to be fulfilled, will exclude a quite large part of the experimental rock music.

The possibility of a definition as a meta-genre

Even as the four authors have quite a lot in common in their description of Progressive Rock, as it can be seen of my short account, their definitions of the genre are rather different. On the other hand, if they have to be compared to what quite often is considered as Progressive Rock in what might be called “the global Prog community”, one thing can in my opinion be concluded: their definitions are more narrow, and I think it is also the case with most books written on the genre; including maybe the latest in Charles Snider’s The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock (2007), even though this guide reviews other music than Snider defines as Prog-Rock, too.

Nevertheless, the broader “Prog community definition,” as, for instance, used but not really formulated in the co-founder of ProgArchives, Ronald Couture’s Essential Mini-Guide to Progressive Rock: Past & Present (2006), have obvious advantages: it includes more different music and makes “the Prog movement” wider and thus stronger. On that account, the interesting question needs to be answered: is it possible to formulate and argue for a broad definition of Progressive Rock?

Well, as it already could appear from my initial considerations, that is my conviction and what I will try to begin in this article. For that purpose, let us first have a look at the following styles: Symphonic Rock, Jazz-Rock, Folk-Rock, the more experimental Electronic Rock and Avant-Prog. What do they all have in common? You probably already know it: as their names suggest, they are all a synthesis of Rock and very pronounced elements from mainly one of some other main genres, namely Classical Music, Jazz, Folk and the electronic avant-garde or other avant-garde music, respectively. And should all these Rock styles be a part of Progressive Rock, must that kind of synthesis be one of the criteria of the definition. Krautrock, Zeuhl and the more avant-garde influenced part of Post-Rock can be characterized in the same way except from, they are typically more eclectic. 

So far so good, but at this point I guess there are a huge number of Prog aficionados who miss Progressive Metal and some Psychedelic Rock here. Well, that is no problem because the syntheses of Rock and the other main styles mentioned above give possibilities for these styles, too – Progressive Metal being mainly a synthesis of Heavy Metal and Symphonic Rock/Classical Music, while Progressive Psychedelic surely is a synthesis of Psychedelic Rock, but then, there are different possibilities: electronic avant-garde, Folk, Jazz and others.

Now we have got really a lot of different music to offer, but as a matter of fact, too much. That is because the criterion suggested so far includes all kinds of, for instance, Jazz-Rock, Folk-Rock and Space-Rock, and thus a lot of almost mainstream music, which an average Proghead does not seem to be interested in. Therefore, I will further suggest an additional criterion for some music to be labeled Progressive Rock, and that shall be that the music is rather complex or at least to some extent experimental in another way than argued so far.

OK, if we now in all have enough precise instruments to determine what kind of music we would like to have under our banner is of course a question that will have to be tested in practice. But I suppose everything looks rather OK for a start, except from one problem. Not so few bands play music which is very difficult, if at all, to fit into one of the styles/sub-genres mentioned so far because they are more eclectic and mix several different styles. Therefore, we need an additional sub-genre which can be named Eclectic Prog to label those kind of bands.

My proposal and sub-genres

Then, I can summarize:

I will propose that some music to be called Progressive Rock has to:

1. be a synthesis/fusion of Rock (significantly present) and at least one of other "main genres": Classical, Jazz, Folk or other traditional music , electronic avant-garde or other avant-garde, AND

2. be rather complex or at least to some extent experimental in another way than #1.

”electronic avant-garde” is here primarily Musique Concrete and Minimalism while ”other avant-garde” include Free and Avant-Jazz and Contemporary Classical.

Further, I propose following main sub-genres:

* Symphonic Prog, incl. Neo-Symphonic (Neo-Prog), and defined as Rock fused with Classical music from any  country in the entire world

* Progressive Jazz-Rock, incl. most of Canterbury

* Progressive Folk-Rock, defined as Rock fused with Traditional/Folk music from any country in the entire world

* Electronic Prog

* Avant-Prog/RIO and Zeuhl

* Psychedelic Prog, incl. Progressive Space-Rock

* Progressive Metal, defined as all the sub-genres of Metal which can be considered Progressive

* Eclectic Prog

* Krautrock

and finally

* Progressive Post-Rock, defined as the much Prog-influenced part of Post-Rock

and Prog is here of course short for Progressive Rock.

What have we then got?

I believe that Progressive Rock, defined in this way, depict quite well what mostly is understood by this term today, or, that it at least is worth to consider, if it not should be so. It is obviously not a single style but an umbrella for a number of different styles which have some similarities. The main point of this way of defining is for me to separate a large part of the experimental and more ambitious Rock music from the mainstream in order to strengthen its identity and help building it up as a broad cultural movement. Progressive Rock, again as defined here, has sure gained in popularity over the period of the last 20 years, but I think it is important to support or at least respect each other across the different sub-genres instead of not so rarely almost fighting each other. Those are the main ideas behind this article and some ideas I find very worthy to work for, and I hope some of you do, too.

Edit, October 2023:

I have to admit though that I don't find this definition to be good today, and think of RateYourMusic's as much better. It's also today the most used definition of Progressive Rock. It includes following sub-genres:

Avant-Prog, incl. Brutal Prog, RIO and Zeuhl
Canterbury Scene
Neo-Prog
Symphonic Prog

( https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/progressive-rock/ )

It's also important to tell that besides these sub-genre labels, RYM uses "Progressive Rock" as a separate label and quite a lot of albums and artists outside these sub-genres are labeled only as "Progressive Rock" - for instance not least King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator and some Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd albums.

Other references

Mike McLatchy: The Guide to Progressive Rock Genres. V2.0. 2003

which is a survey or a kind of extensive article, updated and available at www.gepr.net./articlesfram.html .

Katherine Charlton: Rock Music Styles: a history, 5th edition. Mc-Graw Hill 2008.

Bradley Smith: The Billboard Guide to Progressive Music. Billboard Books 1997.

Kevin Holm-Hudson (edit.): Progressive Rock Reconsidered. Routledge 2002.

Dag Erik Asbjørnsen: Scented Gardens Of the Mind. A guide to the golden era of progressive rock (1968-1980) in more than 20 European countries. Borderline Productions 2000.

You can see top 100 albums/artists all-time made in March-April 2019 on basis of this definition and all the ratings on RateYourMusic and ProgArchives here:  Top 100 all-time as rated on RYM and PA  .

And may Progressive Rock be with you!

Edited by David_D - January 02 2024 at 15:50
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 08:38
Maybe, I better tell from the beginning that I'm not quite so theoretically well fit as I was at the time I wrote this article, but I'll do my best if needed, and I'll surely try to answer all the questions or comments there might be, and to contribute to new discussions. Smile

Edited by David_D - November 19 2021 at 10:14
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:44
Not sure what your point is, but...Kansas  (CAN) :   Leftoverture  (1976). Kansas are from (USA). Topeka, Kansas to be specific.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 11:32
Yeah, right, you've told me that already, Grumpy, and I corrected it on the top 100 list, but the list here is 12 years old one so, it's an old mistake.
Anyway, that kind is of no importance here, Grumpy, as I've thought of this blog to be concerned with some general principles of defining and classifying Prog.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:12
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Yeah, right, you've told me that already, Grumpy, and I corrected it on the top 100 list, but the list here is 12 years old one so, it's an old mistake.
Anyway, that kind is of no importance here, Grumpy, as I've thought of this blog to be concerned with some general principles of defining and classifying Prog.
Well the first step to classify prog is to get the bands country of origin correct.

Enjoy your thread.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:21
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Well the first step to classify prog is to get the bands country of origin correct.

Well, that can be a point of view to have...and no intention to bother you, Grumpy.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:53
Hi,

Welcome. Lots of work on this, I see ... well done and hopefully it takes off!

(long post)

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

My proposal

1. be a synthesis of Rock and at least one of the other main genres: Classical, Jazz, Folk, electronic avant-garde or other avant-garde, AND

2. be rather complex or at least to some extent experimental in another way than #1.

”electronic avant-garde” is here primarily Musique Concrete and Minimalism while ”other avant-garde” include Free and Avant-Jazz and Contemporary Classical.

This is going to be difficult and might have to be explained a bit more ... for example, we don't talk about it much, but a lot of the long cuts in electronic music, were influenced by a lot of Eastern Music and it should be given some note. (Peter Michael Hamel's From Music To The Self)

The main problem is to (possibly) explain the idea that a lot of music in Europe did not exactly come from Anglo-American ideas, but from somewhere else ... for example, Italian rock music has a lot of classical music in it. French rock music is "literary" in the sense that it is concerned with being more detailed and complete, and not just a rock song out of nothing/nowhere, which so much of Anglo-American "progressive" music is really all about! Let's not mention the vague ones considered a "concept" that would not stand up in high school in a literature class, EVER.

For me, the better/best idea is to consider it (properly!!!) as an evolution of the musical process as it will better fit things. The same thing with jazz, that evolved until the late 60's when it exploded. Rock music has never gotten any kind of appreciation for its content and ability, and how it would be considered if we laid it all out within a linear idea of the development and growth of the process. To me, the long cuts were not just about getting stoned or playing weird stuff ... it could be tripping and many other things, including very independent styles of evolution and development.

[quote=David_D] (and comments)
* Progressive Jazz-Rock, incl. most of Canterbury ( a lot of Zappa, and fusion related also?)

* Progressive Folk-Rock, defined as Rock fused with Traditional/Folk music from any country in the entire world (please ... this is an area that PA has really failed a lot!!)

* Electronic Prog (this is concerning. TD is not "progressive prog" at all, but in essence it is soundtrack music with its own visual and its content (specially later) has a literary/artistic content that we do not seem to relate to as a rock audience, since we apparently don't study or believe in the arts as much! I would probably just say "Electronic" and specify that all instruments are on the synthesizer/electronic kind ... thus a band like Seventh Wave fits here well, and while it could/should be considered "progressive" in many ways I'm not sure it is!

* Psychedelic Prog, incl. Progressive Space-Rock (we have to be careful here, or everyone will think this is just stoned immaculate music. I probably would specify this better as NOT "space-rock" but music that is designed to help someone trip along and (generally) it involves long cuts.

* Progressive Metal, defined as all the sub-genres of Metal which can be considered Progressive (ggggrrrrrrrr!)

* Krautrock (This one needs a very BIG STOP and explanation since a lot of it is not clear or explained, and all it leaves us with is ... "it sounds like" ... and THAT IS NOT what all this was about. For the best "intro" for it, everyone should see the Werner Herzog film's opening for "My Friend" ... and what Klaus Kinski did ... which was right out in the open improvisation ... and then, sit down and compare this to Damo Suzuki in CAN's Tago Mago album ... THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, and it becomes a matter of how to use the improvisation and make it work, and this is what a lot of the early materials were all about, however, as is shown in the book "Future Days", it has at least 5 or 6 different styles of work, and some might not exactly be improvised, but the feeling is still far out. I like to say that this should be called "krautart" since it involves film, theater, music, painting and a lot of literature, but all we can say is something that makes no sense whatsoever as an artistic endeavor, on top of that with features that are also everywhere else as well, when in essence, even Edgar Froese stated (on the Krautrock Special -- the long one!) that it was a new time, a new place, no past, no history, and we were all learning something new ... and then Peter Michael Hamel tells us about the massive (MASSIVE) international music thing during the Olympics (1972), where so many artists from the world over performed and talked about it ... and there is a lot of inspiration taken from there that we refuse to discuss.

Lastly ... AD2 is a problem sometimes. Their origins were a commune where everyone got together and did some music some of which is seen in the AD1 albums. It has no direction ... just people continuing having fun with what appears to be a couple of folks playing along, but nothing "musical" as we know it. AD2 when they split and made their own commune, did an album (Phallus Dei) that in essence is an attack on the original commune. And the women were subservient! So that album the title cut is an "improvisation", and everyone gets stoned, and then things gonna get weird, and then it rocks out! Nothing states more what some scenes are all about and how what was once not an improvisation, but just a fun party for everyone (ie Grateful Dead concerts for a long time!) that some folks thought was not as much fun as making real music! Voila ... "pure krautrock" design. Something out of "nothing".

Of all details, the one that you MUST MAKE CLEAR, is that simply because things "sound like" someone else, does not make them a part of that thing. Zeuhl and Metal are the two really bad ones here, where almost everything is a copy, and the talent is dubious at best. There are some good ones, I will never doubt that, but in essence too many of them are just empty and so bare as to be ridiculous and not deserve the mention ... but in PA, almost all of it is about "sounds like" and the definitions of Progressive Music" are almost all ... defined by the top 5 or 10 bands ... regardless of anything else.

For the music to make sense, specially within a musical context, these cheap and poor definitions have to improve so the music makes sense, and it has a time and place, other wise ... heck, we still doing Mozart string quartet in rock music after all this time?

Edited by moshkito - November 19 2021 at 13:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 13:25
First of all, thank you very much, moshkito, for this very detailed and extensive comment..which I find very informative, as well. 
I guess, you don't remember it anymore, but you were one of those who discussed my article here on PA 11 years ago.

Then, one of your questions:

moshkito wrote:
* Progressive Jazz-Rock, incl. most of Canterbury 
"( a lot of Zappa, and fusion related also?)"

Yes, indeed, see my album list.

Otherwise, I'll think some more about your comment, and I'll see what else I can answer it with.

Edited by David_D - November 20 2021 at 01:26
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 14:32
moshkito wrote:
"For me, the better/best idea is to consider it (properly!!!) as an evolution of the musical process as it will better fit things."

Here can I only say, I completely agree with this as a starting point.
For instance, I find it much better to label each album specifically instead of just label a band which may change it's music very much during it's existence.

Edited by David_D - November 19 2021 at 15:45
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 15:02
I would move Ozric Tentacles from Eclec to Psych.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 17:13
Doesn't look bad at first sight. Question:
"be a synthesis of Rock and at least one of the other main genres: Classical, Jazz, Folk, electronic avant-garde or other avant-garde"
How does a genre qualify to be a "main genre" in this sense? What about for example hip hop, flamenco, major African or Asian genres (about which I'm not so knowledgeable)? Do the latter all count as "folk"?
And is there any synthesis in the sense of your definition in psychedelic and post rock?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 17:52
For me the whole point of progressive rock was (and is) to think outside the box. Trying to classify it and pigeonhole it is unprogressive imo. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 19:35
Perhaps this classification is a little less extensive than that of Progarchives, and I like this very much (we are here to discuss, Progarchives will not change)

However, as I have already expressed in other threads, in my opinion

- Not all jazz-rock fusion is progressive: it is not that of musicians who come from jazz: Davis, Hancock, Di Meola, Mahavishnu but neither is Steely Dan's pop-jazz (which I don't read here, however)

- Electronic music is not progressive, or, at most we should distinguish between progressive rock and progressive electronic, as Rate Your Music does

. Not all kraut rock is prog

- Little about post rock is prog

- The classification should follow the albums, not the groups.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - November 19 2021 at 19:36
"Happiness is real only when shared"
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 02:38
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Doesn't look bad at first sight. Question:
"be a synthesis of Rock and at least one of the other main genres: Classical, Jazz, Folk, electronic avant-garde or other avant-garde"
How does a genre qualify to be a "main genre" in this sense? What about for example hip hop, flamenco, major African or Asian genres (about which I'm not so knowledgeable)? Do the latter all count as "folk"?
And is there any synthesis in the sense of your definition in psychedelic and post rock?

"main genres" are those which usually are considered to be so, and those I mention. Nevertherless, in my point of view, they must have global scope.
For instance, concerning Folk-Rock that means (as I've written):
"* Progressive Folk-Rock, defined as Rock fused with Traditional/Folk music from any country in the entire world
In the same way the "Classical" I'm talking about is supposed to include all Classical music from the entire world and not just Western/European.

Lewian wrote:
"And is there any synthesis in the sense of your definition in psychedelic and post rock?"

Concerning Post-Rock first, yes, and as I've written:
"* Progressive Post-Rock, defined as the more avant-garde influenced part of Post-Rock"

Concerning "Psychedelic Prog", I must say, I'm not quite sure about that, but I would reckon there's some considerable influence from Indian Classical music.

Anyway, you got maybe straight to some weak points in my definition, the way it's formulated at the present state, and I must admit, I wasn't thinking about non Western Classical music in the beginning of my defining process.

Thank you very much for your contribution, as I find it very valuable. 
I'll make an addition in my definition of "Symphonic Prog" so, it includes non Western Classical music, as well.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 02:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

For me the whole point of progressive rock was (and is) to think outside the box. Trying to classify it and pigeonhole it is unprogressive imo. 

Then how would you know what should be called "Progressive Rock"?
Edit:
And as I pointed in the beginning of my article, it's not about putting things in boxes, but rather to put some label(s) on them (while they are in movement, right moshkito?).

Edited by David_D - November 20 2021 at 05:23
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 03:12
My comments to you, jamesbaldwin:

"Perhaps this classification is a little less extensive than that of Progarchives" 
It is, not least there where a Progressive artist to begin with, eventually ends as not Progressive, or the other way around as
"- The classification should follow the albums, not the groups."  I completely agree with that.

"- Not all jazz-rock fusion is progressive: it is not that of musicians who come from jazz: Davis, Hancock, Di Meola, Mahavishnu but neither is Steely Dan's pop-jazz (which I don't read here, however)"
right!

"- Electronic music is not progressive, or, at most we should distinguish between progressive rock and progressive electronic, as Rate Your Music does"
Following my definition, it will include electronic music with distinctive rock elements.

"- Little about post rock is prog"
Well, I don't know what "post rock" you think of here, but my definition is surely limiting.

Thank you for your contribution.

Edited by David_D - December 03 2021 at 14:36
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 04:02
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

- Not all jazz-rock fusion is progressive: it is not that of musicians who come from jazz: Davis, Hancock, Di Meola, Mahavishnu 

Principially, I distinguish between "Jazz Fusion" and "Jazz-Rock". Jazz Fusion is obvious mostly Jazz oriented (say Bitches Brew), and thus can't be said being part of Rock, and then is not Prog (but can be a part of "Progressive Music"). Jazz-Rock, on the contrary, has strong Rock elements and can be considered as Prog (say Birds of Fire).

Edit:
In my point of view, the most important thing is not which genre the musicians come from but what kind of music they make at a certain point of time. The musical process is an evolution (right moshkito?). 

Edited by David_D - November 20 2021 at 04:33
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 04:34
The thing with Psychedelic may be that they increased the scope of rock being inspired by psychedelic experiences, alternative lifestyle, and probably also other art forms such as films. One can certainly see some influence of avantgarde in some early Pink Floyd music, but that doesn't necessarily hold for all psychedelic (I'm not sure actually). The concern I have is that other influences than the main genres mentioned by you may somehow be artificially forced into that framework.

Also I'm still not quite sure how much of non-rock influences are meant to be covered by the "main genres", so raga, flamenco, and traditional music from Ghana yes, blues and hip hop no? On what basis?

Another thing is that much of prog (if probably not the most innovative, let's say what is classified as prog as a standard) in my view drew their influences from earlier prog rather than from outside rock music, or only by implication through these earlier "pioneers".
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 04:41

I must say, I don't know enough about Flamenco to have any suggestions of genre classification of it, and so, neither of Andalusian Rock as a part of a specific "sub-genre" of Prog. - But I'll reckon it's a kind of Traditional music.

Edited by David_D - November 20 2021 at 04:52
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 05:43

Also I'm still not quite sure how much of non-rock influences are meant to be covered by the "main genres", so raga, flamenco, and traditional music from Ghana yes, blues and hip hop no? On what basis?

On basis of what historically has been considered as Prog (tradition, and admittedly on basis of some personal choices of mine which mean incoherence in the definition) - but that may change with time.
Edit:
As you probably have noticed, I've suggested to consider "Progressive Punk" as a new "sub-genre".

Another thing is that much of prog (if probably not the most innovative, let's say what is classified as prog as a standard) in my view drew their influences from earlier prog rather than from outside rock music, or only by implication through these earlier "pioneers".

I think that's good enough when talking about validity of the definition I propose. But as I see it, the new Prog is getting more and more eclectic so, it's getting more and more difficult to classify with this definition, or we will more often use the label Eclectic Prog.

Edited by David_D - November 20 2021 at 06:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>