Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me appreciate Growl Style Vocals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me appreciate Growl Style Vocals
    Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:08
Help me appreciate Growl Style Vocals

Okay, here's what's cookin'...

I've tried so hard to get the groove of "Growl Style" vocals.
I've gone through a great many acts that employ them so regularly, that it just ends up sounding like a sawmill to my ears.

I LOVE it if it's used like a garnish, or frosting: Employ it occasionally, but not all the time.

So, here's the thing:
Please throw some ideas my way to help me start to appreciate this style.

Either full-on growl, or as a garnish, I'll give anything a try.

I'd be super, WAY excited if the bands have exceptional technical skill (I am a shredder, after all). For example, Christian Münzner with Obscura, Opeth, Rings of Saturn, etc.

Hey, help a fellow progger out! Please help me try to get into this style, because I feel like I might be missing out on some great music...

Thanks!!!

BTW, if you ever wondered what ol' Cylli looks like, here I am in 2007:

(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:17
You can try some Obituary, perhaps? Tardy is my favourite "growler". Also this album is/was one of the most sold metal albums in Turkey ever. It is because of their previous album. It attracted too much attention, and the next (this) album sold a lot.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 19 2021 at 09:21
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:18
So here are some introductory entries I'd get you started on:

Death - Symbolic (Progressive Death Metal)
Vektor - Terminal Redux (Progressive/Tech Thrash)
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh (Progressive Death Metal/Groove Metal)
Opeth - Ghost Reveries (Progressive Death Metal)
Cynic - Focus (Progressive Death Metal/Jazz Fusion)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (Progressive Death Metal/Jazz Fusion)
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:26
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

You can try some Obituary, perhaps? Tardy is my favourite "growler". Also this album is/was one of the most sold metal albums in Turkey ever. It is because of their previous album. It attracted too much attention, and the next (this) album sold a lot.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

AWESOME opening salvo, Ozgur!!! THANKS!!!

THIS I can appreciate!!!
I can still hear a voice!!!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:29
Nothing will help. You either like them or don't. You could acclimate to them, just as you could to, say, a Chipmunks album, but your tastes are your own. It's okay if you don't appreciate growl vocals. I don't and for some reason they make me laugh, like Chipmunk vocals.  

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 19 2021 at 09:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:29
^ You're welcome man. One other recommendation for you. This has gotta be the last. As I'm not much of a growling vocals guy, either. (But I can growl, even gutturally. Tongue)

The singer here both growls awesomely and sings beautifully. I guess it could be less disturbing, even fun for you than Akerfeldt's screechy vocals.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 19 2021 at 09:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:43
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Nothing will help. You either like them or don't. You could acclimate to them, just as you could to, say, a Chipmunks album, but your tastes are your own. It's okay if you don't appreciate growl vocals. I don't and for some reason they make me laugh, like Chipmunk vocals.  

I hear you, Will!
Mike (siLLy puPPy) also told me in another thread that it might be a case of my needing acclimatization to this style.

My favorite singers (that immediately spring to mind) would include Ray Alder, Einar Solberg, Daniel Gildenlöw, David Sylvian, and the late, great James (Jimmy) Dewar (Robin Trower).
[Big Edit]: I forgot to mention Chris Sampson from Azure. And (what a horrible omission on my part)

Marco Ciancaglini (Soul Doubt).
So, the growls are a bit difficult for me so far, but I feel like I gotta keep tryin'!

Edited by Cylli Kat (0fficial) - November 19 2021 at 10:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:48
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

So here are some introductory entries I'd get you started on:

Death - Symbolic (Progressive Death Metal)
Vektor - Terminal Redux (Progressive/Tech Thrash)
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh (Progressive Death Metal/Groove Metal)
Opeth - Ghost Reveries (Progressive Death Metal)
Cynic - Focus (Progressive Death Metal/Jazz Fusion)

Thanks, Brendan, way cool suggestions!
I have Cynic, Opeth, Death and Gojira in the collection.
Time to dust 'em off and give them another try!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:48
This is also a "general music discussion" topic.

I am still not sold on the necessity of this style of vocal and find I am only tolerant of it in the setting of outrageously complex compositions. But I must admit this interview gave me a better understanding and appreciation of what goes into performing and recording this art form.

Warning! The video that is being referenced in this interview is definitely NSFW, which is why I am not embedding it in the post.

Kardavox Academy interview of Dickie Allen

Edited by Tapfret - November 19 2021 at 09:49
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:50
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

My favorite singers (that immediately spring to mind) would include Ray Alder, Einar Solberg, Daniel Gildenlöw, David Sylvian, and the late, great James (Jimmy) Dewar (Robin Trower).

So, the growls are a bit difficult for me so far, but I feel like I gotta keep tryin'!
Dewar is awesome. Thumbs Up My favorite singers that spring to mind are - Peter Gabriel, Alice Cooper, Robert Plant, and Todd Rundgren.

Keep tryin' to dig the growl, if you must. I listen to some growl vocal music but it takes away from the music, for me. If only those bands would release a instrumental CD along with the vocal CD. Similar to what Haken do.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 19 2021 at 09:51
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:51
Opeth is my favorite, and one of the only bands in my collection to feature growling. Michael started out with nothing but growling, gradually introduced clean vocals and at one point ditched the growling completely on later albums.

Ghost Reveries is a good place to start with a combination of clean and growls. It’s also a fantastic album in my opinion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 09:51
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ You're welcome man. One other recommendation for you. This has gotta be the last. As I'm not much of a growling vocals guy, either. (But I can growl, even gutturally. Tongue)

The singer here both growls awesomely and sings beautifully. I guess it could be less disturbing, even fun for you than Akerfeldt's screechy vocals.

Another nice one!
I forgot about the fact that I like Amorphis!
My Kantele still gives me a "full-on robot chubber"!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:00
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

This is also a "general music discussion" topic.

I am still not sold on the necessity of this style of vocal and find I am only tolerant of it in the setting of outrageously complex compositions. But I must admit this interview gave me a better understanding and appreciation of what goes into performing and recording this art form.

Warning! The video that is being referenced in this interview is definitely NSFW, which is why I am not embedding it in the post.

Kardavox Academy interview of Dickie Allen

Thanks, Ian!

You phrased it PERFECTLY here:
"I am still not sold on the necessity of this style of vocal and find I am only tolerant of it in the setting of outrageously complex compositions."

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:01
^ My Kantele's acoustic reprise is... I can't find the words. I adore it!
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:07
ok here is my two cents coming from somone who has struggled with growls his entire life and still does not enjoy them thoroughly:

"Your ability to appreciate harsh vocals is equal to your ability to accept your own (still unresolved) shadows."

so the moment this agressive and sometimes painful (in that it carries painful emotions) music is striking a chord within you, that doesnt make you feel grossed out about the fact this very emotion is so relatable to you, you can enjoy it :)

..and the moment you heal and transmute this shadow, this music doesnt resonate anymore because you have let go of this pain and anger.

so either you are still rejecting the aspects of you that carry these emotions or you have already completely integrated and tranformed them.

idk if that makes sense, but i feel the more i accknowledge my "dark side" the more i am able to listen to such growls but the more i feel complete and at peace, the more i am grossed out by it.
It's just a ride... <3
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:17
Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

...so the moment this agressive and sometimes painful (in that it carries painful emotions) music is striking a chord within you, that doesnt make you feel grossed out about the fact this very emotion is so relatable to you, you can enjoy it...

I don't know, man. Literally the same exact words can be used in reference to Whitney Houston's insidious wailing on The Bodyguard theme song, which I find even more difficult to tolerate than growls.
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:20
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

...so the moment this agressive and sometimes painful (in that it carries painful emotions) music is striking a chord within you, that doesnt make you feel grossed out about the fact this very emotion is so relatable to you, you can enjoy it...

I don't know, man. Literally the same exact words can be used in reference to Whitney Houston's insidious wailing on The Bodyguard theme song, which I find even more difficult to tolerate than growls.

sure, the same principle applies to every music, if it doesnt resonate, you dont like it. 
but with harsh vocals its pretty obviously about shadows and negative emotions that seem to be lacking or not accknowledged.
It's just a ride... <3
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:27
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

What's interesting about this album is that I have the reissues of the first 3 albums with bonus material. The end of the "Elements" cd has almost the entire "Unquestionable Presence" played live on a radio station. His vocals are decidedly cleaner and to me improve the listening experience dramatically.

That being said, his dirty vocals on "Jupiter" I thought were spot-on. Though that album isn't very well regarded. I like it.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 11:30
The secret is to understanding the point of growly vocals

Extreme metal is crafting a bleak and ugly soundscape

Would it really be effective if it used power metal vocals?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 11:32
^ I have no problems with extreme metal with extreme vocals. BUT, I have some serious problems with shrieking vocals in black metal. As if all the "evil" entities should have such a voice...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>