Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me appreciate Growl Style Vocals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 11:46
I once listened to an album with Jorn Lande on vocals (clean, as clean as Lande's regular voice, at least), and uses melodic black metal instrumentation. If I liked Lande's voice very much, it would be one of my favourite "black metal" albums.

Mike (Puppy), have you listened to this Chinese band? The singer's shrieks are excellent, at least not annoying. The music is so too. (I barely find black metal "shriekers" listenable, by the way.)

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:01
^
Sounds a bit like Absu

Personally I love shrieking

The more extreme the better in my world

I’m a rare breed though

One minute I’m listening to Deathspell Omega, the next Air Supply or Indian ragas and hip hop!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:07
^ You're like me "on steroids". But, I may be a bit more diverse than you. We have some Eastern culture here too, and I love lots of stuff of it. Even the Turkish Arabesk Music. Star
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

The secret is to understanding the point of growly vocals

Extreme metal is crafting a bleak and ugly soundscape

Would it really be effective if it used power metal vocals?

Sometimes.
One of the problems is the bleakness of lyrical content is lost in the mud. Admittedly I would often rather not even know what the lyrics are.

When it comes to conveying a bleak, dark, hostile landscape there are a number of ways to accomplish it. One of favorites is the style of the Gothic bass tones of guys like Peter Steel, Johan Edlund, and that Owl dude.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:52
Bleak and Ugly:

Edited by Easy Money - November 19 2021 at 12:53
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 13:02
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ You're like me "on steroids". But, I may be a bit more diverse than you. We have some Eastern culture here too, and I love lots of stuff of it. Even the Turkish Arabesk Music. Star

Oh I have hundreds of ethnic cds

Includes dozens of middle eastern music and pretty much a sampling of every possible style of music I can get my hands on hence a collection of over 15k cds

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 13:05
^ I'm not in the "competition" mode. Perhaps next time. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 13:15

^ I'm not in the "competition" mode. Perhaps next time. Wink

Well you did open the door with a comment like “I may be more diverse than you.”

I love every style of metal, every style of prog and honestly have never heard a genre from anywhere that I don’t like!

I just call myself a music addict and leave it there 🤪

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 13:24
Is there any music that is not ethnic?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 13:25
^ Actually, Mike, we are all products of our own cultures. Sad but true. So, the ethnic CD's you own and I own are generally "targeted" to us. We also unearth "precious gems" like your unearthing Death Oath's magnificent album Pernicious Conjure. But even that is targeted to the "world" in general. The Arabesk songs I listen, and the hip-hop you listen... They should be more specifically for you and me. When I was in Midyat, I heard some Kurdish albums, and before that I wasn't even aware that such musics exist. Midyat is in Turkey, but the authentic music they listen to are not known by most of the Turks. The "Kurdish" music that most Turks know are targeted to the Turks. This is not limited to music, either. Some local breads can only eaten, if you go to the cities that the people make those breads.

One of my friends went to Switzerland for working, and when he came back for a vacation, he gave me a CD of the progressive local bands of there. They were awesome, and some of them were only shared among friends. Never officially released.

I think you get my point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to teach you anything. But I believe, this is the truth.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 19 2021 at 13:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 20:47
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Is there any music that is not ethnic?

Yeah

Prog!

🤪

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 20:51

^ Actually, Mike, we are all products of our own cultures. Sad but true. So, the ethnic CD's you own and I own are generally "targeted" to us. We also unearth "precious gems" like your unearthing Death Oath's magnificent album Pernicious Conjure. But even that is targeted to the "world" in general. The Arabesk songs I listen, and the hip-hop you listen... They should be more specifically for you and me. When I was in Midyat, I heard some Kurdish albums, and before that I wasn't even aware that such musics exist. Midyat is in Turkey, but the authentic music they listen to are not known by most of the Turks. The "Kurdish" music that most Turks know are targeted to the Turks. This is not limited to music, either. Some local breads can only eaten, if you go to the cities that the people make those breads.

One of my friends went to Switzerland for working, and when he came back for a vacation, he gave me a CD of the progressive local bands of there. They were awesome, and some of them were only shared among friends. Never officially released.

I think you get my point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to teach you anything. But I believe, this is the truth.

Yeah we are certainly targeted but there are enough music compilations and resources on the web to seek out whatever we want these days

I’ve found obscure stuff from the middle of Iran, Oman and other off the wall places

Death oath was just one of many Turkish finds

It was certainly one of my favorite metal experiences from 🇹🇷

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 00:38
^ True dat!

I admire your interest and enthusiasm to learn virtually anything. You're a great connoisseur. I'm more of a ""choosy" guy. Also I cannot be "on steroids". I sometimes have to rest. Hahah. I'm a Pisces FFS!!!

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 20 2021 at 00:47
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 02:15
I love the Waste Of Space Orchestra album of a few years ago, apparently a side project of 2 Finnish death metal bands. The growling seems more 'organic' (although that may not be a thing lol).

I also enjoy the last Meshuggah album The Violent Sleep Of Reason although I'm not a fan generally.

Edited by richardh - November 20 2021 at 02:15
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 10:29
Opeth rules. End of story.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 12:05
Not sure what I have struggled to overcome most... Growls or Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Have always struggled with growls, since the quality of the vocals has always been really important to me. The only growly band I can listen to is Amorphis, partly because I know the clean vocals are never far away and partly because the compositions are often so damn addictive... 
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 19:36
I have never liked growling, and for a very long time avoided it like a plague. I still don't particularly like them, and mostly songs that feature them are not even songs I enjoy anyway. However, there are some exceptions. Opeth, for example, whom are usually given here as the ones that make growling good still don't make me enjoy it, and mostly I like them because of their clean vocal songs... however, my very favourite song from them, The Drapery Falls (live version from Lamentations) does feature growling. Some other songs with growling that I do love (though not for the growling) are Forever from Macbeth (the first song that called my attention since the 90's), Cry for the Moon from Epica (once again the only growling song that I like, besides I only like clean songs from them... though their newer album might give me one or two songs with growling that I like), The Final Victory from Haggard, Alma Mater from Moonspell, Seclusion by Penumbra, Ecstatic by Trail of Tears, and Crossed by Sirennia (my wife does enjoy this kind of music, and so I got her albums to see if I might find something to like from them, given that I do like metal, and the epic and operatic aproach from many of these albums). And from Wilderun, they have an album called Sleep at the Edge of Earth that has a really gorgeous set of songs that make a sort of epic song. And last, the only artist that has actually made me enjoy growling is Devin Townsend... he does sort of use it for good reason unlike most bands that use them. The main examples for me from him would be Planet Smasher and his performance on Ayreon's Loser.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12