Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Alan Parsons Project VS Utopia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: The Alan Parsons Project VS Utopia (US band)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [44.00%]
17 [34.00%]
6 [12.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Alan Parsons Project VS Utopia
    Posted: November 20 2021 at 15:35
Please note that this refers to the US band Utopia and not the rather obscure German band with the same name. Wink

Neither band made it out of the 80's so they have that in common if nothing else. The winner goes up against Saga. Wink

Also, you don't have to be super familiar with both to vote one or the other but please know more than just a handful of songs by each and preferably at least one or two albums by each. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 20 2021 at 15:36
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 15:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Please note that this refers to the US band Utopia and not the rather obscure German band with the same name. Wink

Neither band made it out of the 80's so they have that in common if nothing else. The winner goes up against Saga. Wink

Not true, Mike! Utopia has released numerous live albums after the '80s, starting with 1993's Redux '92: Live in JapanWink

Oh, and my vote goes to Utopia...and it's not even close. Cool
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 15:49
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Not true, Mike! Utopia has released numerous live albums after the '80s, starting with 1993's Redux '92: Live in JapanWink

Well, APP has released live albums later too. I was referring to studio albums. Did Utopia release a studio album in the past ten years or so? They might have but I don't think they did.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:04
I only know the Alan Parsons Project, but I'd like to experience some Adventures in Utopia too one day. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:04

Well, APP has released live albums later too. I was referring to studio albums. Did Utopia release a studio album in the past ten years or so? They might have but I don't think they did.

Alan Parsons Project's last outing was Gaudi (1986). Everything since is under Alan Parsons' name (no "Project").

Yes, Utopia's releases (archival and current) have been live, not studio (Todd continued to release original music under his own name, as he always has), with one release of a one-off studio project called Disco Jets, that was recorded in '76.

In the last decade, Utopia concerts have featured an hour-plus of music from the first three (best) albums. Close your eyes and you'll swear it was '76. Not sure why he won't record new material with a variation of the early line-ups. Roger Powell retired from touring, but that doesn't mean he'd opt out of making new music (maybe).
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:15
I love most things Todd does, with his early 70’s work (inc Utopia) being my favourite. Conversely I find Alan Parsons very bland/AOR so it’s a no brainer for me

Edited by Duddick - November 20 2021 at 16:15
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:16

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:37
Gaudi is from 87. Tongue
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:40

Gaudi is from 87. Tongue

First promo LP released in '86. Argue with Discogs. LOL

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:41
Of these two, I tend to listen to APP more, so that gets my vote.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 17:16
Utopia is a joy to behold, their slant toward Mahavishnu Orchestra unfolds on the first lp, a massive prog statement. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 17:57

Gaudi is from 87. Tongue

First promo LP released in '86. Argue with Discogs. LOL

Gnosis, this site and wikipedia all say 87. I'm talking about an official release date which is usually what we go by. Jan. of 87 but still 87. I suppose you are one of those people who thinks Permanent Waves by Rush is a 70's album even though it was released in early 1980. LOL 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 18:46
Utopia.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 19:03
AP Project
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 19:06
Not sure how to vote on this one: Utopia had 1 & 1/2 great prog albums, APP had four or five very good proggy albums. Todd Rundgren's Utopia is, IMO, one of the finest true prog albums ever made (even if he and the boys may have been just playing around in a kind of JTULL/Thick as a Brick style. Nobody casts Ian and the Gang any shade for their tongue-in-cheek little joke, though, do they?)

Tough one . . . 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 19:20
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Not sure how to vote on this one: Utopia had 1 & 1/2 great prog albums, APP had four or five very good proggy albums. Todd Rundgren's Utopia is, IMO, one of the finest true prog albums ever made (even if he and the boys may have been just playing around in a kind of JTULL/Thick as a Brick style. Nobody casts Ian and the Gang any shade for their tongue-in-cheek little joke, though, do they?)

Tough one . . . 

You can do "both." That's what I would probably do but I'm not really familiar enough with Utopia so I won't vote at all.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:01
APP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:14
The Alan Parsons Project
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:19
The band that made APPs cool before they were a thing.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:22
yay, it's a tie! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>