Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diego Leaving Haken..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diego Leaving Haken..
    Posted: November 22 2021 at 11:51
I am not surprised by this, the musical path has changed quite a lot from those first couple albums, which I think are amazing. The more recent heavy, hard thrashy, metal stuff is fine but it's not who Haken really is, I for one have lost interest. Clearly it does not fit for Diego, I think he is clear in his message below....
Looking forward to what he might release soon in his new project.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 15:47
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The more recent heavy, hard thrashy, metal stuff is fine but it's not who Haken really is, I for one have lost interest. 
I seem to remember Haken's first album had vocal growls on it. Sure they have gotten a bit heavier, like most modern prog bands, but Virus had plenty of songs that were not thrashy or metal. Did you hear the whole album? 

So, yeah it's sad Diego is leaving but explain to me who Haken really is??? In my eyes they are a prog metal band who write heavy music. They have modernized - got heavier, like a lot of prog bands. Maybe you don't like their musical path, but I do.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what Diego will release and am looking forward to the path Haken takes next.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 17:17
I guess you could say that would be Sans Diego.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 21:00
The only Haken I have is Affinity. If I would like to hear something a little less thrashy and metallish I should get the earlier ones as opposed to the ones after it? 
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 02:52
Their first three albums are the best.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 02:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The only Haken I have is Affinity. If I would like to hear something a little less thrashy and metallish I should get the earlier ones as opposed to the ones after it? 

The highest rated album is "The Mountain". It and all the albums before it are rated greater than 4.0, whereas all the albums after it are rated less than 4.0.

The Daily Doug did a video on "Cockroach King" from the album:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 10:56
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Their first three albums are the best.
Word.....their recent albums have that djent feel to them now. The drumming has become 'how fast can I dbl bass slam you!!'
It is clearly different than the first 3-4 albums, and as a keyboardist I am sure Diego just felt lost or disinterested in the direction of more metal thrashy stuff. 

This is not a stab at where Haken is going now as Grumpyprogfan insinuates, whether I like the new Haken or not is irrelevant, the point is that Diego clearly did not like the new direction and chose a new path to express his talents.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 10:57
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes.....clearly the one to have is The Mountain, a brilliant record.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 11:20
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The more recent heavy, hard thrashy, metal stuff is fine but it's not who Haken really is, I for one have lost interest. 
I seem to remember Haken's first album had vocal growls on it. Sure they have gotten a bit heavier, like most modern prog bands, but Virus had plenty of songs that were not thrashy or metal. Did you hear the whole album? 

So, yeah it's sad Diego is leaving but explain to me who Haken really is??? In my eyes they are a prog metal band who write heavy music. They have modernized - got heavier, like a lot of prog bands. Maybe you don't like their musical path, but I do.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what Diego will release and am looking forward to the path Haken takes next.
I have heard Virus already.......I have no desire to return to it. And correct, I don't like their new musical path. Riverside did something similar, their first albums were harder edged more prog metal and then starting with Shrine moved to more melodic, atmospheric type writing which did not appeal to me much. Then Wasteland returned to a harder sound, which I prefer. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 12:00

...I am sure Diego just felt lost or disinterested in the direction of more metal thrashy stuff. 

This is not a stab at where Haken is going now as Grumpyprogfan insinuates, whether I like the new Haken or not is irrelevant, the point is that Diego clearly did not like the new direction and chose a new path to express his talents.
You wrote "The more recent heavy, hard thrashy, metal stuff is fine but it's not who Haken really is". How the hell do you know who Haken really is? Are you in the band? What insight do you possess to know who they are?

Also, isn't it possible that Diego's has chosen a direction that is heavier than Haken's? How are you so sure he doesn't like the thrashy stuff? How did you come to this conclusion? Confused
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 12:15

...I am sure Diego just felt lost or disinterested in the direction of more metal thrashy stuff. 

You wrote "The more recent heavy, hard thrashy, metal stuff is fine but it's not who Haken really is". How the hell do you know who Haken really is? Are you in the band? What insight do you possess to know who they are?

Also, isn't it possible that Diego's has chosen a direction that is heavier than Haken's? How are you so sure he doesn't like the thrashy stuff? How did you come to this conclusion? Confused

You did not quote the whole thing, it reads "The more recent heavy, hard thrashy, metal stuff is fine but it's not who Haken really is, I for one have lost interest." The meaning being that it is not for me and I have lost interest. 
You need to relax, if you like it so be it, I did not call you out for liking it......Your follow up questions are pretty child like in a forum.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:05
I agree with you both (you know who you are, but it is our own secret). When a band changes "direction", some get dismayed. So Catcher's reaction is understandable. And it made Grumpy a little "angrily grumpy". Chill out guys!!!

BTW, I lost my interest in Haken after their debut. Hahah. I loved it, though it wasn't that "original". Visions was beautiful, but I preferred the power and the passion of Aquarius. Actually the same thing happened concerning Myrath for me. I only listen to their debut, still. I don't say that the rest is bad, just not my cup of tea.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 23 2021 at 13:06
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:34
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I agree with you both (you know who you are, but it is our own secret). When a band changes "direction", some get dismayed. So Catcher's reaction is understandable. And it made Grumpy a little "angrily grumpy". Chill out guys!!!

BTW, I lost my interest in Haken after their debut. Hahah. I loved it, though it wasn't that "original". Visions was beautiful, but I preferred the power and the passion of Aquarius. Actually the same thing happened concerning Myrath for me. I only listen to their debut, still. I don't say that the rest is bad, just not my cup of tea.
Clap
I spin Aquarius more than my fav The Mountain now. The Mountain is still my #1 but hard on it's heels is Aquarius. Visions is my #3, all three have that power and passion you describe.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:48
^ You may be right!!! I've gotta give them a few listens soon. It's been MANY years since I did... I remember that I loved Visions. It was beautiful. But Aquarius literally blew my mind when I first listened to it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 14:23

Your follow up questions are pretty child like in a forum.
Care to explain the meaning of this comment?  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 14:38

Your follow up questions are pretty child like in a forum.
Care to explain the meaning of this comment?  

No. I'm good thanks.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 15:00
Visions, The Mountain and Affinity were all excellent, but The Mountain is the masterpiece.
Vector and Virus are OK, but nowhere near that standard.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 15:39
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Visions, The Mountain and Affinity were all excellent, but The Mountain is the masterpiece.
Vector and Virus are OK, but nowhere near that standard.
For me, Virus is better than Affinity and Visions is the masterpiece. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply