Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2021 PA Music Tournament - Ladies of the Road #1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 PA Music Tournament - Ladies of the Road #1

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these songs is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [26.67%]
1 [6.67%]
4 [26.67%]
6 [40.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 PA Music Tournament - Ladies of the Road #1
    Posted: December 04 2021 at 09:28
Laura's new album has a more poppy/electronic, maybe modern sound.  I enjoy it, but I don't know that other than a couple of songs that it would appeal to many prog fans.  Thumbs Up
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 04:40
Finally got a moment to listen to these and it was a good moment overall. The Laura Meade track was the only one familiar to me, and I quite like it and compared to the others it has the freshness and originality that I'm generally looking for in music - she convinces me the most of these.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2021 at 04:21
"This Is The Way I Am" clicks with me the most, although "The Most Dangerous Woman In America" is quite good too.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 12:30
Rachel Flowers - This Is The Way I Am
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 12:22
Nice poll.

I went for Olivia and Mostly Autumn. Graveyard Star is one hell of an album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 12:20
Thank you!  I'm fighting through some stuff, but felt the need to listen to some new releases and these polls help inspire me to do so.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 08:17
Ok, I'll give some love. Laura has no votes and it's a good song, has that Izz flavor. Rachel is second.

Nice to see you back and posting, Scott. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 08:03
Looking for some love for the ladies.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 09:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I'm not a fan of IZZ, but that Laura Meade song is really nice. No doubt the proggiest track on her new album. I think I'll give her the vote.

Rachel Flowers' song is very cool.

The only one that doesn't do anything for me is Blackmore's Night, and I do have a few of theirs.
I'm surprised you don't like Izz.  With their multiple drummer lineup I'd think that they might be up your alley.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 09:03
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Mostly Autumn, even though that's the only song I know in the poll. Embarrassed
You should check out the other songs Paul.  I suspect that you might like at least a couple of them.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 11:37
I'm not a fan of IZZ, but that Laura Meade song is really nice. No doubt the proggiest track on her new album. I think I'll give her the vote.

Rachel Flowers' song is very cool.

The only one that doesn't do anything for me is Blackmore's Night, and I do have a few of theirs.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 10:26
They all sound really good, but my vote goes to Rachel Flowers.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 10:03
Mostly Autumn, even though that's the only song I know in the poll. Embarrassed
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 08:43
That is interesting concept as they say familiarity breeds contempt but there is always something to be said about staying within your comfort zone.  Rachel Flowers was the only one of these artists that I was not familiar with before this poll.  Her new album is really good.  There were a few really good songs that I had to choose from.  With Laura Meade, I am smitten with her from her contributions to Izz.  I love her voice as it blends with Anmarie Byrnes and the Galganos and I have really enjoyed her solo albums.  I am not as big of a fan of her new album.  It is quite poppy and somewhat electronica, but this song kind of stands out for me.  Of course, Miriana is great with iamthemorning.  Disillusioned is just a short EP with 5 songs on it.  She does two covers, one in Icelandic and one in Hungarian.  It makes for a quick listen, but is well worth it.  Mostly Autumn are a long-time favorite back to the Heather Findlay days, but Olivia Sparnenn-Josh has a really pretty voice too.  Blackmore's Night features Candace Night on vocals, the wife of Deep Purple's Richie Blackmore.  They pretty much stick to the Renaissance Folk music formula.  I do find them enjoyable to listen to from time to time, but at least to me, there is a samey-ness to everything that they do.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 03:56
Hadn't heard anything of these albums before but know some Mariana Semkina and Rachel Flowers. I'm always curious whether new discoveries can beat new material of those that are already known to and appreciated by me. Sadly (although obviously this is good for Mariana and Rachel) this is not the case here. Mostly Autumn and Blackmore's Night - these are nice enough to listen to but don't leave me excited. With Laura Meade it's a different story. This sounds original and fresh but doesn't quite click with me at the first go. Some of the mixing and sound doesn't sound quite right to me. But this kind of thing can change at further listens, so this one could still turn out to be great. With Rachel I like the composition and arrangement, of course using lots of inspiration from the past. Her voice doesn't do much for me though. I expected most from Mariana and got it, not Disillusioned at all, so the vote has to go there, as much as I'd like to be open for the new discoveries.  

Edited by Lewian - November 25 2021 at 03:59
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 23:04
don't know any of these, will try to find time to listen o'er the weekend 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 20:00
Activity in the Heavy Hitters poll has ground to a halt, so I am adding the second poll of the "Best of 2021" Tournament: Ladies of the Road #1.  It is the busiest bar night of year here in the USA, so why not send one out from the ladies.  As with the previous poll, I have chosen my favorite song from each of these artist's 2021 releases.  Tell me what you think.  The goal is to try and bring to PAers' attention new songs from 2021 that maybe you don't know about and hopefully you find enjoyable. Do you have a different favorite song from these albums?  Vote for your favorite from this list.  Perhaps Drew will put down his glue and join us in the discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply