Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Side Long ELP content

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is Emerson Lake and Palmers best 20-minute epic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [55.38%]
20 [30.77%]
5 [7.69%]
2 [3.08%]
2 [3.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Side Long ELP content
    Posted: November 24 2021 at 22:21
Because the last poll was a joke, I decided to make a more fair poll here. I will go with Karn Evil 9 today. It is the only side long epic I know that takes up part of another side and not the entire one as well. Not like TAAB or Tubular Bells that fills up two sides, but songs that are on the first side and also have the one epic take up part of that first side and then all of the second side. I like KE9, because of its concept, and all the great keyboard work here. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 22:25
Definitely Tarkus for me. Not just my favorite ELP epic, but my favorite song of theirs in general Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 22:30
Everybody seems to like the epics the best in terms of prog rock. The favorite for Genesis is usually Suppers Ready, CTTE for Yes, TAAB for Jethro Tull, and Nine Feet Underground for Caravan. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 22:59
There are only two true options here for me, Tarkus and Karn Evil 9. Had to give the vote to the latter.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 23:03
toss up between the first two

ill go Tarkus today 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 00:25
Karn Evil 9, my favourite ELP track.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 00:49
Karn Evil although I sometimes muse whether it could have been the whole album if Toccata had been incorporated as an extra movement and the rest consigned to the EP.
The live version of Tarkus is actually my favourite ELP track with the extended Aquatarkus section. Pictures as played at the Mar Y Sol in 1972 festival is my favourite version of that track. Memoirs is not that bad while The Piano Concerto is rather beautiful to my ears. An ode to dear ole Blighty , composed mostly on a dull train journey between London and Brighton apparently!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 02:32
I enjoy Tarkus waaaaaay more than Karn Evil 9 personally.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 02:44
Tarkus

nice poll! Thumbs Up
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 03:01
The Love Beach suite. Heart
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 03:14
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Karn Evil 9, my favourite ELP track.

This.

Although I prefer "Karn Evil 9" to the track "Tarkus", I prefer the album "Tarkus" to "Brain Salad Surgery".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 03:55
I voted Karn Evil 9 as well. It's an incredible track. 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 04:00
Tarkus
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 04:01
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I enjoy Tarkus waaaaaay more than Karn Evil 9 personally.

Same here.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 04:12
Tarkus,  for me, without a doubt. Wonderful music.

next in line would be Pictures At An Exhibition

Most of the others listed are ok, but just ok. 

Oddly enough, I have never liked anything on the Brain Salad Surgery album. There. I said it.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 04:57
I prefer Tarkus, but Piano Concerto can't remain with no votes

Edited by octopus-4 - November 25 2021 at 04:57
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 05:08
I went for 'Pictures' - the energy and excitement exuded by the band at that point - ELP were a considerable live act and remained so into the Works era.  Read Danny Baker's article in 'Prog' from a while back - sums them up perfectly (or just listen to 'The Old Castle').  The Piano Concerto is also great and you can't help wondering what 'Officer' would have sounded like had they done it back in the early 70s.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 05:20
Tough one...both are stellar tracks. I'll only consider Tarkus from the studio release for this poll.
I think I might have to go with KE9 even though it's MORE than a side in length. But even if I only take all of side two into consideration Emerson upped his game on this composition.

And much like @richardh's comment, the Live WBMFTTSTNE version of Tarkus is unbeatable in any context.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 06:41
Current mood points to Tarkus.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 07:34
Hi,

Tarkus for sure for my ears, although just hearing DD do Karn Evil 9 a few minutes ago, has added more appreciation for that piece of music.

I think that I like Tarkus better, because of Rachel Flowers' piano version (she also has an organ version) that is on the toob. She has also done Karn Evil 9 the same, and now I have to hear it since it has not captivated me before, like it just did with DD.

But the piano version of Tarkus, is by very far, one of the prettiest things ever that I have heard in piano concertos ... and it should rank really high for the 20th century!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>