Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vangelis 1990-1998

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Vangelis album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [12.50%]
4 [16.67%]
12 [50.00%]
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vangelis 1990-1998
    Posted: November 26 2021 at 02:32
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 02:41
Blade Runner 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 02:45
  THE CITY got a lot of airplay on SPACE PIRATE RADIO, followed by OCEANIC.
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 03:57
Blade Runner.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 07:53
Vangelis has such and amazing discography, so it’s hard to choose one over another of his albums. This time I voted for El Greco, but I could have voted for any other as well.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 09:02
Going with the Blade Runner Soundtrack for this round.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 09:29
Blade Runner 25th year edition is great, but I vote for The City. It gives me a dreamy sensation that I can't explain.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 10:09
This was Vangelis' best decade. Each of these albums exceeded its predecessor one way or another. The only two that I would not vote for are Oceanic and The City and those are still excellent albums. My vote went to 1492: Conquest of Paradise.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Ma Oz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ma Oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 00:36
Heaven and Hell is Vangelis best work by far. Blade Runner official releases has with too much or too little of the most representative music of the movie, so that´s why a rainbow of bootlegs have appeared that are very good and sometimes superior than the commercial releases. Here´s mine https://www.mixcloud.com/centaury37/vangelis-blade-runner-1982-ost-suite/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 01:55
El Greco is probably his true 'masterpiece'. Also love Voices.
I got very angry when someone (Phillippe) posted a horribly negative review of it some years ago (1 star really??!). He was also responsible for downgrading Vangelis from Progressive Electronic to Prog Related which was a totally nonsensical decision. I think he has now left the site thankfully.  
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 02:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

El Greco is probably his true 'masterpiece'. Also love Voices.
I got very angry when someone (Phillippe) posted a horribly negative review of it some years ago (1 star really??!). He was also responsible for downgrading Vangelis from Progressive Electronic to Prog Related which was a totally nonsensical decision. I think he has now left the site thankfully.  
At least we now know who's to blame for misplacing Vangelis in the Prog Related section instead of Progressive Electronic where he obviously belongs. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 09:47

I wasn't aware of this. Surely "his" decision can be reversed...?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 10:30
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Philippe has given 1-star to El Greco, not to H&H
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 12:22
Although I have spent many hours listening to Voices, Oceanic, and El Greco, my favorite Vangelis album (all eras) by far is The City. There's just something so quintessential and timeless about this album: it perfectly captures him as a composer and performer in just under 45 minutes. And if you ever want to test the power and clarity of your audio system, play "Nerve Centre" as loud as possible!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 00:40
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Philippe has given 1-star to El Greco, not to H&H

yes , sorry for not making that clear
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 00:42

It's been raised before , mainly by myself , but no one seems that bothered about changing it. I think Vangelis could also comfortably be put in Eclectic . I would be happy with that or Progressive Electronic.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 10:44

It's been raised before , mainly by myself , but no one seems that bothered about changing it. I think Vangelis could also comfortably be put in Eclectic . I would be happy with that or Progressive Electronic.

Definitely. Seems strange that it hasn't already happened. "Prog Related" feels like an insult.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 01:07

Definitely. Seems strange that it hasn't already happened. "Prog Related" feels like an insult.

Yep we are singing from the same hymn sheet bro

I do understand that strictly speaking Vangelis only became an electronic artist from 1975 onwards but if we apply the same logic then Genesis and Yes would forever be psychedelic rock and Jethro Tull a heavy blues band and Rush a hard rock band. Music and bands evolve shock  Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 10:17

I think Vangelis could also comfortably be put in Eclectic . I would be happy with that or Progressive Electronic.

Yep we are singing from the same hymn sheet bro

I do understand that strictly speaking Vangelis only became an electronic artist from 1975 onwards but if we apply the same logic then Genesis and Yes would forever be psychedelic rock and Jethro Tull a heavy blues band and Rush a hard rock band. Music and bands evolve shock  Smile

Heck, Tangerine Dream would be acid psych! LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 11:35
^ a thread on Vangelis and why he belongs in electronic could be created, a move could be suggested. Nothing wrong with starting a move discussion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>