Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8 albums for 8 crazy nights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 albums for 8 crazy nights
    Posted: November 30 2021 at 01:14
I'm feeling a little festive. Perhaps belatedly so, since it's already the second or third night (depending on where you live in the world). But why not? A Hanukkah post. In honor of those Maccabee chaps who fought those pesky Romans and then had enough oil for eight nights even though it should have lasted for one, or whatever, give me some prog or fusion bands that have ONLY released 8 studio albums. Or 8 live albums. Or bands that currently have 8 official members. I'm not picky.

Yes, for those unaware, Hanukkah is very early this year.

You don't have to enjoy all 8 albums. But scour the site if you have to. I want bands associated with the 8. It will warm my Hebrew heart.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 02:17
Couldn't think of any fusion...

Led Zeppelin I-IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence & In Through the Out Door - that's eight studio albums.

Van Der Graaf Generator/Van Der Graaf:
The Aerosol Grey Machine from 1969 up to The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome from 1977 were the bands eight "classic" studio releases up until their comeback album from 2005.

Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes released eight studio albums 1970-1980. (Her first, as: Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis from 1969 is fantastic though)

I suppose you're familiar with the two first suggestions, but perhaps not the last one. Mostly great stuff from all of them.

חֲנוּכָּה שַׂמֵחַ

yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 02:37
Tonight is going to be the third night here in israel. Because we are in an israely mood, Im going for the israely Prog/Oriental Metal band Orphaned Land, thier relesed only six album up to this point... so one album for every night that left! 

As for something that actually count, my choice is Godspeed you black emperor, the legendary post rock band that have eight albums up this point, and currently having eight members.

Edited by yogev - December 30 2021 at 13:01
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 02:56
Italian bands Osanna, Hostonaten, and Syndone have eight studio albums. Pesky Romans...

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 30 2021 at 02:59
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 11:03
Mahavishnu Orchestra!
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 11:21
Brand X have eight studio albums!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 13:54
Steve Reich - Eight Lines (for Octet)

...The structure but not the sound of Jewish cantillation influenced the composition, particularly of the flute and piccolo melodies ...

Edited by Saperlipopette! - November 30 2021 at 13:55
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 14:18
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Steve Reich - Eight Lines (for Octet)

...The structure but not the sound of Jewish cantillation influenced the composition, particularly of the flute and piccolo melodies ...

Sound Beautiful.  
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 14:27
Take a day off, and Chick Corea's Elektric band have seven albums for seven crazy nights!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 23:55
The Underfall Yard
English Electric One
English Electric Two
Folklore
Grimspound
The Second Brightest Star
The Grand Tour
Common Ground

RIP Dave Longdon

(and before anyone comments there will be a ninth BBT album with Dave Longdon in 2022 but it's not yet out there so I'm not counting it)

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 02:14
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Take a day off, and Chick Corea's Elektric band have seven albums for seven crazy nights!

I'll consult the rabbis about this. Maybe this should be done in my household since I love Chick.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 23:10
Does Elektric Band have 7 albums? I thought it was 6 studio albums. I'll have to check.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 00:18
To the Stars, released in 2004, was their final studio album. And there was the Elektric Band II album.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - December 02 2021 at 00:19
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 01:43
Epica
Mastodon
Meshuggah
Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 00:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

To the Stars, released in 2004, was their final studio album. And there was the Elektric Band II album.

The one I was forgetting in my head was actually Inside Out, haha. I could never forget my two actual favorite ones!
 Post Reply Post Reply