Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2021 PA Music Tournament - Bring the Thunder #1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 PA Music Tournament - Bring the Thunder #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these songs is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [16.67%]
4 [33.33%]
2 [16.67%]
1 [8.33%]
3 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 PA Music Tournament - Bring the Thunder #1
    Posted: December 02 2021 at 19:33
Time to move on from the ladies to the long-haired, bearded dudes dwelling within the dark cellars of the prog metal world.  I've chosen my favorite song from these 2021 prog metal releases.  Which of these songs is your favorite?  Let us know if you have a different favorite song from these albums.  As year end approaches, hopefully this poll might help you discover a new song from 2021.

Bang your head and vote for your favorite!!!

If you missed the first two brackets here are links

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 19:47
DT for me.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 20:20
The odd time where all of the songs that I post YouTube videos actually have videos.  That is pretty cool.  Anyhow, didn't realize that the Xfears song was a Nevermore cover, but upon listening to this album it was my favorite track...I'm not familiar with Nevermore.  Embarrassed
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 23:18
Other than DT, a swing and a miss for me. This reminds me I never did the second poll in this regard either. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 07:33
Well, you should go back and hang out with the ladies for a while.  Wink  Probably not much there that you will appreciate either though.  There will be some pan head stuff in some of the later polls, Smile which will hopefully be hits for you. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 07:36
Poverty's No Crime - Hollow Phrases

overlooked and underrated, just like Sieges Even, Ivanhoe and Toxic Smile. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 07:36
great poll BTW! Thumbs Up
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 07:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Poverty's No Crime - Hollow Phrases

overlooked and underrated, just like Sieges Even, Ivanhoe and Toxic Smile. 
I love Sieges Even.  I'm not familiar with Ivanhoe and Toxic Smile.  I will have to check them out.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 08:01
Leprous for me.  Love this band....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 15:46
Leprous are really good, but remind me a bit of Riverside in that they have really toned down their metal side.  I really like their new album, Aphelion, but it seems lacking in metal.   To my ears, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Or maybe, it is that the extreme metal bands have grown more extreme so it makes Leprous seem less metal to me than they actually are.  So much of the metal that I listened to in the 80's is probably likely just considered hard rock these days.  LOL
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 05:13
^ Ah, so that might be the reason that the Leprous one is the stand-out track for me!
As you know, the thundery thingies are not necessarily my preferred domain, but apart from Between the Buried and Me, these were all good listens. DT is maybe a bit too much on a stand still compared to their previous work, and I didn't know the other bands (well, only by name). So, if you say that Leprous toned down their metal side I may have to give their latest album a listen, because I really like this song.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 05:15
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Ah, so that might be the reason that the Leprous one is the stand-out track for me!
As you know, the thundery thingies are not necessarily my preferred domain, but apart from Between the Buried and Me, these were all good listens. DT is maybe a bit too much on a stand still compared to their previous work, and I didn't know the other bands (well, only by name). So, if you say that Leprous toned down their metal side I may have to give their latest album a listen, because I really like this song.

their last three albums don't have much to do with metal (not just the last one). 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 05:31
^ I'm listening to their new album now. There are some metal remnants, but it is indeed very modest. So far, being into track 4 now, this sounds very good to my ears.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 05:43
The only band that I thoroughly like is Poverty's No Crime among the options. I like everything about them. Been (mildly) a fan for many many years.

I respect Dream Theater immensely and love 2 of their '90s albums. (Awake and SFaM)

The rest... Wouldn't matter for me if they existed or not.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 09:15
Ozgur, I would have pegged you for a vote for Between the Buried and Me.  I figured you would go for the more extreme stuff.  I really like the drumming on that song and what I can make out of the story from watching the video.  Not a fan of the harsh vocals though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 09:55
^ I don't say that BtBaM, Animals as Leaders, Leprous, Mastodon etc. are "bad" bands. But they are frankly "worthless" for me. One of my absolute favourite bands is Keldian. Really. They are even "softer" than Iron Maiden at times. Hahah. I'm just choosy. By the way, "technicality" is a plus only if a band do authentic stuff with real soul. Other than that, being technical per se never impresses me. 

Scott, I really have to find a genuine soul in music for my spirit/psyche to resonate with it. Even if it has a formulae, even I myself am not aware of that. Also, I respect eveyrone's tastes. We are not robots programmed to think, feel the same way. Wink

This song is one of my favourite songs ever. I even call it, "The best song ever!" sometimes. Tongue

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 04 2021 at 10:00
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 10:06
Nice.  I'm not familiar with Keldian, but I liked that song.  Thanks for sharing.  Thumbs Up

By the way, I was in no way criticizing your choice.  I was just surprised by it.  I guess in our dealings I had just expected you to be more a fan of the more extreme/technical songs.  No judgement at all on my part.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 10:08
^ I "got" your tone of surprise. That's why I explained myself. No worries dude! Handshake
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 10:46
Handshake  I like a lot of bands that fall under the power metal category.  What do you think of a band like Seven Kingdoms?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 11:07
^ Seven Kingdoms... I have to refresh my memory about them!!! I liked them, as I remember, at the time. BtW, I'm ultra-picky in power metal. But good power metal is like nothing else for me. My favourite power metal bands are Keldian, Dark Moor, Kamelot, Nightwish, Rhapsody (of Fire), Luca Turilli's various other stuff, Nocturnal Rites, Dragonland, Falconer... Prog-power is generally more preferable for me. The 2 of my 3 favourite metal singers are power metal vocalists: Fabio Lione and Alessandro Conti.

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 04 2021 at 11:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>