Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is music (albums) or bands most important for you?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is music (albums) or bands most important for you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is music (albums) or bands most important for you?
    Posted: December 05 2021 at 03:44

It seems to me that for some people music (albums) is very obviously the most important thing, they might even not care very much about the bands themselves. For some others it can be somehow opposite so, the bands become almost more important than the music itself.

How is it for you?

Edited by David_D - December 07 2021 at 09:46
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 03:51
Albums obviously. Is it possible to answer the bands "themselves" over the music? I tend to not know much about most bands/artists beyond their music. And I rarely check out a new album just because I happen to like what someone did forty-fifty years ago. 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 04:15
Definitely albums, with an exception:

If I "witnessed" the genesis of a band and I loved them, I might embrace all their new albums.

This didn't happen with Myrath and Haken, but happened with Keldian and some other bands.

I met Symphony X in 2000, but love all their discography including their '90s stuff. This can happen too.

Actually, in general, I'm very choosy. These are rare cases for me.
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 04:19
For me, the "music" (albums) is the most importent thing, thats what it all about. But I don't agree with people that don't bother checking about the band or the bandmates, the people behind it, people who do not read a lttle general information about the music they like. It maybe not affecitve to people here. In this website I know that the people are not like this... But you get my point.  

(By the way, I've seen quite a few of your posts lately, just wanted to say you're making great content... keep doing what your doing.)   

Edited by yogev - December 05 2021 at 04:21
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 04:21
Originally posted by yogev yogev wrote:

(By the way, I've seen quite a few of your posts lately, just wanted to say you're making great content... keep doing what your doing.)   

thank you very much Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 04:24
Music always. I mean we’ve all had the experience of hearing a new piece of music that we’re entranced by without having any idea who made it, right? When that happens my opinion doesn’t change after I find out who it was.

Likewise I suspect most of us have had the experience of firing up the latest album by a band we love, followed by the awful realisation that it is in fact sh*t / pretty mediocre / an unexpected diversion into 1940s polka styles. When that happens I sure don’t feel obliged to like it.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 05 2021 at 04:25
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 05:19
Easy - the music.

If you have an artist who lasts more than a few years, you are very likely always going to get a stinker or two in the discography, or a middling to poor performance at a gig. Completely natural.

Just thinking about three of my favourites, I still don’t care much for:

Marillion Holidays in Eden, a very misplaced attempt to keep the glory years of Fish commercial success going, probably at the behest of EMI. That they then came out with a masterpiece such as Brave is all credit to them.

Yes. Open Your Eyes is a truly awful album, not remotely worthy of a bunch of 6 year old High School performers, let alone this venerated bunch. The Quest is not nearly as bad, but then again it is an album off such mediocrity that it is barely worth even thinking about, just not bad enough to get angry about.

Genesis, self titled. The first side was brilliant, the second poor, with the execrable Illegal Alien the worst culprit.

Not many artists escape this.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 05:48
If I like an album, I then follow the band, since I suspect that the rest of their music might be also good. However, If I don’t like a particular album, I will not get it, no matter how much I might have liked the rest of the band’s catalogue. So yeah, I prefer the albums over the bands, though I tend to use the bands as a guiding point to explore the music.

Edited by Manuel - December 05 2021 at 11:02
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 06:27
Without the music bands are just a bunch of people standing around in black tee-shirts smoking the jazz cabbage and reminiscing about that bar with the waitress who kept going out into the back alley with a different patron every half hour, so...it's all about the music baby
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 06:28

But I don't agree with people that don't bother checking about the band or the bandmates, the people behind it, people who do not read a lttle general information about the music they like. 

I understand what you mean, and agree. Yet, I can tell about myself that I can experience music (at the best) as something almost heavenly, magic, while musicians are just earthly and maybe can be a kind of obstruction to reach this magic - not least because when you dig deeper for some informations about them, you may find not so little of dirt.

That actually happened to me in a rather shocking way some years ago when I read the book  Our Band Could Be Your Life. Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991  by Michael Azzerad, as the author gave a very unpleasant description of about half of the bands portrayed in this book, not least Black Flag and Henry Rollins. - Which in fact means that even I'm fond of Black Flag's My War, my enjoyment of it is still spoiled by this book.
I couldn't even understand the author's intention with this book as he seemed to be sympathetic with this Indie scene, and I couldn't stop laughing of the main title as I really don't think many readers got the wish to become a part of the depicted bands after reading this book. 

Edited by David_D - December 05 2021 at 12:00
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 06:30
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

It seems to me that for some people music (albums) is very obviously the most important thing, they might even not care very much about the bands themselves. For others it can be somehow opposite so, the bands become almost more important than the music itself.

How is it for you?

Hi,

I think it changes as you get older. When you are young, some things are "better" than others and you take to those real quick. At that time, you do NOT know, and sometimes do not care, for the rest of the albums and the band's output, IF the band was not new.

Speed this up, and 30 years later and that band has 9 albums or 10, and you might like that album, STILL, but you don't care for the rest of the band. This could show a multitude of thoughts about that, from album to music, to many other thoughts.

Change this to the catalog of the band, and things change. When you have 8 albums (let's say) that you rank 6 or 7 (out of 10) and one album that you rank 9 or 10 (out of 10) the average now has dropped to 7 or less. Thus your importance for the band, has been lowered I imagine one could say! Now, you are battling the "music" versus the "band" idea and how you might not want your thoughts of that album you love not be as valuable or important.

In the end, within the history of music, it is not the "album" that matters, but the QUALITY of the work that the composer/artist did, which is far more valuable and telling about that person. One of the best examples might be Mr. Robert Fripp ... regardless of one album that we like, or dislike, no one here can EVER say that the band itself is not the most important thing, and the results and work, have been incredible even if played 50 years later!

To me, MUSIC is MUSIC and in the majority of situations it is not about the "album". I have many things I enjoy listening to and it is the only thing by that artist and band, but it does not make them less valuable to me as a band, or more valuable to me as an album ... there are many other albums that also stand up and out and deserve the same accolades, but our LIMITED view and listening of many of these prevent us from giving anyone a good and proper idea about the band, or the album. It all defaults to "favorite" and "like" and has nothing to do with the band, or its work! This is why I can not post on Eastern this or that, or some nationalities I have not heard enough or properly to be able to say ... I like this or not. The poll itself would suffer, if I can only vote for the three I have heard, and thus, make the poll rather uneducated and stupid. Sort of saying that the rest of the stuff is not good, and THAT'S NOT TRUE!

It could be a tricky question for many here ... but as much as some folks might select one album by JT as the one they enjoy the most, I am pretty sure that those folks also appreciate the band and its work over the years. Thus, we might end up confusing the issue a lot more than help it.

Edited by moshkito - December 05 2021 at 06:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 06:32
Music of course, however I may stick with some artists for a long time and then it becomes something of a journey together, and I get interested in how and what they're doing (musically in the first place) just because I have made a connection. Sometimes it makes the experience of an album richer to know how the band got there.

Edited by Lewian - December 05 2021 at 06:33
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 06:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Without the music bands are just a bunch of people standing around in black tee-shirts smoking the jazz cabbage and reminiscing about that bar with the waitress who kept going out into the back alley with a different patron every half hour, so...it's all about the music baby

Hi,

Hahahahaha ... dream on baby! I've seen the opposite with a producer intentionally having a girl be there to take care of the musicians' "needs" at any time. We'll have to ask the LZ folks about this, and perhaps get Mrs PdB to grow up and stop trying to be a middle class lollipop icon and tell us a bit more than just the drivel and dribble that did not say anything!   

Most waitresses, though, are just trying their best to augment their income if they can, but in my 25 years of restaurants and bars, I can tell you that most of them were more worried about their boyfriends, than they were about the johns.

And yes, it should be about the music, but tell that to the teenager and other folks playing that rap boom-boom loud in their cars driving right by your ears! It's not even about the band or the music at all ... it's about the boom-boom!

Edited by moshkito - December 05 2021 at 06:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 06:59

AGREED!!!ClapClapStarClapClap

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 07:07
I think I understand the question, and my answer is "music/albums" though I know I am quite likely to choose which new albums to listen to based on A) my familiarity with the band and its prior work and reputation, B) a fellow reviewer's glowing review, or C) the sub-genre to which it's been assigned or which its band is purporting (I find it difficult to motivate myself to listen to new albums from the "Krautrock", "Space/Psychedelic", or any of the metal categories). Plus, I find that I love bands that aren't afraid to grow, evolve, experiment, try new things--which can mean crossing over into different sub-genres (which is why I dislike the pigeon-holing of each band here on PA according to the styles and "rules" of one single subgenre).

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 07:08
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

AGREED!!!ClapClapStarClapClap

Embarrassed
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 07:54
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

In the end, within the history of music, it is not the "album" that matters, but the QUALITY of the work that the composer/artist did, which is far more valuable and telling about that person. One of the best examples might be Mr. Robert Fripp ... regardless of one album that we like, or dislike, no one here can EVER say that the band itself is not the most important thing, and the results and work, have been incredible even if played 50 years later!

It seems right "but the QUALITY of the work" are albums?

Something else, I do somehow find KC done more important in comparison with some other bands than they have deserved - can evaluation like that be done objectively?

Edited by David_D - December 05 2021 at 08:11
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 08:47
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

LOL LOL "the jazz cabbage"?, I've heard many but never this one before - where do you learn that stuff, JD?, because I would surely like to hear some more of it.

What do you say, Paul?

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Most waitresses, though, are just trying their best to augment their income if they can, but in my 25 years of restaurants and bars, I can tell you that most of them were more worried about their boyfriends, than they were about the johns.

I can indeed believe that.

Edited by David_D - December 06 2021 at 01:41
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 08:48
yes.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 10:36

It seems to me that for some people music (albums) is very obviously the most important thing, they might even not care very much about the bands themselves. For others it can be somehow opposite so, the bands become almost more important than the music itself.

How is it for you?

I've been wrestling with the same or similar question earlier with regards to creating a list for the "All-Time Top 10 Progressive Rock Bands" thread. In fact, I am finding it difficult to come up with 10 all-time favourite bands because I operate squarely at the "album level" rather than the "band level". Rarely do I get more than one or two albums of a given band, and even for bands where I do have several albums, they often do not feel like favourite bands. And many of my favourite albums are the only albums I have from the bands, and therefore those bands can't be regarded as favourite bands.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>