Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is music (albums) or bands most important for you?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is music (albums) or bands most important for you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 16:31
It's been touched on a bit but some bands (notably King Crimson and Yes) end up almost being projects with so many line up changes. Then the albums maybe are more important. Red and Relayer are both unique and special albums for that reason.
Perhaps when bands hardly ever have a line up change (ie Rush) then it's easier to view the entire body of work as a seamless and evolving situation rather than getting stuck on just one or 2 albums.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 21:29
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ I already did so. What I "meant" was clear. I'm also an amateur musician, and even took part in official releases as a singer. I have musician friends too. They are "humans" that have friends, relatives etc.

Do you think I'm not aware of that?

I'm the former bass player to Bob Fripp's early Guitar Craft student, Alonzo "Lon" Jones, and his rather amazing band, CAVU (Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited).  

Having partaken in the prog creative process at a high level taught me that, when the band is "in the zone," the muse visits and the music results. 

The music listened to by fans is just a pale approximation of the joy that the musicians feel at its creation.  We fight, we laugh, and then we get down to work.  There is no more magic moment in life than that. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 21:58
Kind of a weird question. From a certain point of view it's the quality of the albums that determines the quality of the band. However there are many other important aspects of a band to consider than simply how good their discography is. Like, I'd argue Gentle Giant has a stronger discography as a whole than PFM, but I personally prefer PFM almost solely because of how much I love Per Un Amico. So sometimes a single record can make or break a band, regardless of the rest of their output. Or to break totally away from albums, it's very conceivable someone could vastly prefer ELP (who are often thought to have a weak discography compared to other big bands) to Steely Dan (who have a very strong discography) based on their live shows. ELP's shows were close to the stuff of legend, stabbing hammonds with knives and what not. Can't say I've ever heard The Dan's shows being regarded the same way. Also ELP have a very rock solid cast of musicians (E, L, and P specifically!). Steely Dan, while fronted by two main dudes, is practically Russian roulette of great studio musicians on all the other instruments.  In fact no band shows the power of an iconic, stable visual image than Kiss, who's makeup became more famous than their music.  When I think of Steely Dan I don't have much an idea what I'm supposed to be picturing. When I think of ELP I see those three dudes jamming on stage or in a room, again stabbing hammonds with knives and standing of a big oriental rug and pulling a bell with their teeth. When I think of Kiss tons of images of those four faces come to mind all at once, with the Kiss logo lit up behind them and fire and fake blood everywhere.  So image on its own merits definitely plays a role in how a band rates or ranks in my estimation. 

I may have strayed a bit from the main question, but I think it was an interesting tangent at least.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 22:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Great question.

To me bands are way more important than albums. If you concentrate only on the albums you can end up downgrading the importance of the band itself and that is dangerous in my view. 

My favourite band for some time has been Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They were a great live band and produced some massively important music that doesn't need listing by me. They were innovative, exciting and brave as a band. Other artists looked and took note of them. That's the facts. Did they produce a killer album like say Pawn Hearts or The Snow Goose? Sadly no, but my feelings don't change. It is what it is but no one is going to convince me that VDGG or Camel were a better band. You can look back and it may seem like that now because ELP made many bad decisions but what has that got to do with music? Really it doesn't IMO.

I like this response a lot. It helps me see into a view that I can't see in myself, as my favorite band happens to be the same one that made my favorite album and favorite song, was my favorite live show, and has had a couple of my favorite musicians. But there's not any rule that says all that should be true of everyone, and undoubtedly ELP are a great choice for a favorite band for all of the reasons you mentioned!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 22:19
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

^ I already did so. What I "meant" was clear. I'm also an amateur musician, and even took part in official releases as a singer. I have musician friends too. They are "humans" that have friends, relatives etc.

I'm the former bass player to Bob Fripp's early Guitar Craft student, Alonzo "Lon" Jones, and his rather amazing band, CAVU (Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited).  

Having partaken in the prog creative process at a high level taught me that, when the band is "in the zone," the muse visits and the music results. 

The music listened to by fans is just a pale approximation of the joy that the musicians feel at its creation.  We fight, we laugh, and then we get down to work.  There is no more magic moment in life than that. 

It's really cool that you've been able to play this kind of music at a very high level. It isn't that cool however to kind of puff your chest out about it and consider your own answer to the question to be the only correct one. I'm sure many of us here are musicians in some capacity and do have some understanding of that euphoric feeling we get when creating music. However many of us are also massive music fans of the listening kind, who form special bonds and attachments to particular records or bands we weren't a part of based on how well they connect with us. 
Everyone's going to connect with music most completely in their own way, and for some it's the albums as artifacts and works of art which outrank the evolving nature of bands in personal importance. For you obviously it's the experience of creating music at a high level which reigns supreme, a feeling I'm inclined to share myself actually. I haven't played prog with any famous or semi-famous musicians, but I did play saxophone in my school concert and jazz bands for about half my life, and those times when everyone was playing their absolute best were indeed magical. The feeling I would get when a solo would come out just right was otherworldly, like I was in perfect control of my own destiny. On the other hand though, I've absolutely teared up listening to certain Dream Theater albums, burst out laughing in delight along with Queen, and actually felt closer to God at the end of Supper's Ready. Records can have otherworldly qualities for me as well.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 23:28
Bands and the music they create and record onto albums are inextricably linked. Obviously, one cannot exist without the other. Therefore, to me, it is neither the band or the album I prefer, but the era in which the band created the album. 

I liken it to relationships. You may have a one night stand with a particular album and band, other bands have a few distinct albums created over a period of time that one relates to, and then there are bands who create enough quality albums that you take with you for decades. Alas, for me, bands and I eventually break up -- they go in a certain direction, which is certainly their right in following a muse; however, If I am uninterested in following, I leave and we go our separate ways. 

C'est la vie et musique.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 07 2021 at 23:31
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 23:42
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

It's really cool that you've been able to play this kind of music at a very high level. It isn't that cool however to kind of puff your chest out about it and consider your own answer to the question to be the only correct one. I'm sure many of us here are musicians in some capacity and do have some understanding of that euphoric feeling we get when creating music. However many of us are also massive music fans of the listening kind, who form special bonds and attachments to particular records or bands we weren't a part of based on how well they connect with us. 
Everyone's going to connect with music most completely in their own way, and for some it's the albums as artifacts and works of art which outrank the evolving nature of bands in personal importance. For you obviously it's the experience of creating music at a high level which reigns supreme, a feeling I'm inclined to share myself actually. I haven't played prog with any famous or semi-famous musicians, but I did play saxophone in my school concert and jazz bands for about half my life, and those times when everyone was playing their absolute best were indeed magical. The feeling I would get when a solo would come out just right was otherworldly, like I was in perfect control of my own destiny. On the other hand though, I've absolutely teared up listening to certain Dream Theater albums, burst out laughing in delight along with Queen, and actually felt closer to God at the end of Supper's Ready. Records can have otherworldly qualities for me as well.

I was speaking to a woman years ago who lamented that she had no musical talent. 

I told her that she could make the sweetest music any musician could wish to hear. 

She looked at me quizzically, so I started clapping my hands.  

Music and fandom do not exist in a vacuum.  I also have emotional moments when listening to music, but I rarely listen to any recorded music these days.  It interferes with my creative process.  

Edited by cstack3 - December 07 2021 at 23:43
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:24

I can imagine that!, as writing has been not so little of magic in my life.

Edited by David_D - December 08 2021 at 02:38
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 07:08

Hi,

Simply based on a lot of posts I make on improvisation (and in my book I have a whole section on KC), not only in rock music, but in other arts, there is a LOT of magic in the work of an improvisation, specially if the musician KNOWS that they just found a fountain of youth and creativity. The main issue, is, AT THIS TIME,  that the whole thing is so commercialized that no one has much of an idea what can/could/does possibly happen and takes place in an improvisation. AND, above all, improvisations that are way beyond a riff of "idea" (like Tago Mago's two long cuts), where the point is NO IDEA, which helps one thing more than most folks realize ... communication and working with each other and not fall back into the "trix" (they's for kids, right?) because they had already exhausted all the trix in the first hour ... the 2nd and 3rd hour are the ones that matter and help the most ... if musicians were willing enough to try things that might, and might not, have anything to help with, but it creates a form of exercise that is helpful in the long run, because you DO NOT KNOW what it can help with until it happens.

KC's vision of work and improvisation, is too much tied to classical music (let's say) in that you have to play it better and better and cleaner until you can do it without looking or worrying about the notes. That's not exactly an improvisation, although the ability to accidentally find something on an error becomes a nice thing here, though some bands/folks don't like it because it "took away" from the improvisation itself!

The MUSIC is most important. HOW you get there is another story since you can go westward, or eastward and still get to the same point. None of the different trips is any "better" than the other in this example. But having a better/stronger idea of what to do with improvisation (specially the ones studied by so many theater/film groups in Europe in the 60's and 70's) goes a heck of a long way to help ... but these days, you have to go to work in the morning, and then go change the nappies! 

Ciao ciao bambino ... improv on Cliff Notes for everyone else! I sincerely do not think that most have any idea what "improv" means beyond finding a riff and getting onto it! In theater/film that's not even considered an improvisation! AND (above all) not enough to keep an audience with you!!!!! Make sure you remember that!

Edited by moshkito - December 08 2021 at 07:30
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 07:22

Kind of a weird question. From a certain point of view it's the quality of the albums that determines the quality of the band. However there are many other important aspects of a band to consider than simply how good their discography is. Like, I'd argue Gentle Giant has a stronger discography as a whole than PFM ...

Hi,

Sadly I think you hurt your argument here. There is no such thing as a "stronger" this or that. Picasso does not have a greater discography (instead of art) than Miro, or Dali! You still stare and wonder at all three and their work!

The moment you enter into the subjective idea of something or other your argument loses its strength and you must see that. In 40/50 years time, when you have heard 10K more albums and at least 2 or 3K more bands, the idea of something being "stronger" or "favorite" enters an area that is totally ridiculous ... and you will see THEN how silly the choice thing is in the first place, and very immature at times ... and that's not to say that youth does not have its place, IT DOES and almost all of the PROGRESSIVE folks at the start had just been teenagers and turned 20 or so when the majority of these great works appeared. But, within a commercial state, this is impossible. It all becomes a favorite to help the sales of the big ones already "owned" by commercial interests, thus interfering with the actual educational and instinctive value of all the arts.

It's kinda insane and ridiculous to think "quality of the albums" based on one piece ... so DaVinci is a genius based on one painting and the rest of his stuff is all worthless doodles? So everyone meets Guernica, but no one can see the massive thing in Chicago? Essentially, you have to get off the "greater" or "lesser" anything in your discussion, and if you compare, you must maintain a different point ... like GG was based on some literary ideas, and PFM more on classical music, something that you can actually put your teeth on! Then I think your work will have more depth, but right off the bat say "quality" of their geography ... is nuts, totally nutz. 

You can have your favorites, like many of us do, but you'll never know which band is my favorite of all, because I don't have one and I don't go around saying that one minute of this is better than one minute of Orff, Beethoven, or Mozart, or Banco, or Pink Floyd!

Hope this helps ... 

Edited by moshkito - December 08 2021 at 07:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 09:55
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Both the band and the music they make are integral in my opinion, and are equally important.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 11:17
SteveG - I was just about to write a similar opinion, believe it or not including the egg/chicken analogy. You beat me to it. I wouldn't be able to separate an artist and his/her music. IMO too, they are equally important.

Edited by enigmatic - December 08 2021 at 19:37
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 23:48
^ I think my issue is that a band can represent themselves (or even misrepresent maybe) on albums. Sorry to bang on about ELP all the time (lol) but they couldn't resist doing the so called 'fun tracks'. This seems to drag down the appeal of their music and albums judging by the many comments made on this forum over the years. This is sad as this was a side of them that came out very much in live performing. They were more 'entertainers' than say a band such as Pink Floyd. My point is that , yes you cannot separate the band from their music but you should try and separate the bad decisions and concentrate on the good things. Just making good decisions (about what not to include on the albums) is not enough imo.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:17

... ELP ... they couldn't resist doing the so called 'fun tracks'.

Right, and that has been a bit of a problem to me, as well, as I didn't find it fitting to the rest of the music, for instance on the "serious"/dark Tarkus. But then I read that it was a part of their approach to music, not being very serious all the time, and now I try to view it and accept it that way.

A part of my approach to a band is that I only want an additional album with it if it's really distinctive from the one(s) I've already got. And that is how I want it in my whole music collection, that almost every album in it must some how be different from all the others, and representing something else. - That criteria has ELP in fact fulfilled exceptionally well, as I've found it okay to get as many as 5 albums with them, and in fact together with Genesis as second best, only next after Pink Floyd (6 albums). - While I have at most only 3 albums with all other bands/artists.

Edited by David_D - December 09 2021 at 06:22
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 06:31

^ I think my issue is that a band can represent themselves (or even misrepresent maybe) on albums. Sorry to bang on about ELP all the time (lol) but they couldn't resist doing the so called 'fun tracks'. This seems to drag down the appeal of their music and albums judging by the many comments made on this forum over the years. This is sad as this was a side of them that came out very much in live performing. They were more 'entertainers' than say a band such as Pink Floyd. My point is that , yes you cannot separate the band from their music but you should try and separate the bad decisions and concentrate on the good things. Just making good decisions (about what not to include on the albums) is not enough imo.

Hi,

It was quite audible on the bootlegs, most of which on ELP were not that good, and I don't think it was the recording, but that the band was going through the motions. I would have liked to ask any of the three that question, although I doubt they would admit it, but the having to play the same song 947 times, is a bit ... over the top, and you are likely to blow it apart!

PF went on, really early about the audiences and had to ignore them, when DSOTM started the stage thing that was computerized and timed really tight, which meant that none of them could make "mistakes" and many of them were not exactly visible if there was a part one of them was having issues with (during The Wall, PF had doubles playing the same thing to ensure that a mistake could not be heard!!!). And this whole thing got to a head when Roger (famously) blew up at the Anaheim Stadium audience because they were fighting for the pieces of the blown up pig that flew over them ... the fight got some folks arrested! And Roger was not happy. Roger was also upset on the show at the old Sports Arena (the one where people got busted), when he specified that there was too much dope and it was affecting their show! This is all on the bootlegs, but cleaned out on the live stuff so you never hear it!

But the best ELP bootleg I had, was the saddest of them all ... during TARKUS, which was a very impressive performance, one person shouted out at least 5 times ... LUCKY MAN ... and that fudger should have been taken out of the concert hall right away by security for lack of respect. However, this happens to a lot of bands, when folks don't like the new stuff and want the old stuff. Even LZ got upset when folks kept asking for Stairway to Heaven, and they were not in the mood for it as it was a difficult piece of music that required attention to detail, and on some nights at least one of them was not on it! I think it was Santa Barbara, that they got boo'd as people left for not playing STH, but I can not verify that at this point.

The best example, of course, is on a video is FZ getting tired of an idiot asking for a guitar solo and he put the guitar down and never touched it the rest of the show and conducted the band instead! 

The biggest, and harshest, point of all this, is that too many "fans" stick to the hit songs, and they don't want to hear the different stuff, and this happened to JT during an early tour of PP and folks kept asking for Aqualung.

Somewhere along the line, the artist is going to revolt to this and tell the fans to get stuffed. And rightly so, specially as many of these were big enough to not have to give a damn. And of course the best one was the one that got upset because folks kept asking for Light My Fire, and Jim stopped in the middle of a song and screamed out for them to shut up, or they will leave. And for many minutes (some say even 20) he stared at the audience and no one moved and you could hear a pin drop! And the rest of the show, was finally happening and at the end, the audience exploded ... I guess you could say that the emotions of the whole evening finally came out and people applauded like crazy, what would have been a really strong and very pointed show.

I don't like to differentiate between the albums and the music ... it's the same person, or persons. It's the respect that goes along with it that I have an issue with, and many folks just don't care because they think their 10 bucks to the band gives them the right to say anything they want ... and that is not the case. You can say it, but pay the price later. One artist I saw, stopped the show and had 2 folks removed before they continued! RIGHTLY SO!

Edited by moshkito - December 09 2021 at 06:32
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 05:01
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

... ELP ... they couldn't resist doing the so called 'fun tracks'.

Right, and that has been a bit of a problem to me, as well, as I didn't find it fitting to the rest of the music, for instance on the "serious"/dark Tarkus. But then I read that it was a part of their approach to music, not being very serious all the time, and now I try to view it and accept it that way.

A part of my approach to a band is that I only want an additional album with it if it's really distinctive from the one(s) I've already got. And that is how I want it in my whole music collection, that almost every album in it must some how be different from all the others, and representing something else. - That criteria has ELP in fact fulfilled exceptionally well, as I've found it okay to get as many as 5 albums with them, and in fact together with Genesis as second best, only next after Pink Floyd (6 albums). - While I have at most only 3 albums with all other bands/artists.

cool Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2021 at 04:35

Would anybody else like to tell about their approach to albums and bands/artists?
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2021 at 05:20
First I thought it was going to be easy to answer "music of course", but having read through the topic and done some thinking, it's not. As people already pointed out, it's chicken and egg (Egg were a superb band by the way). A few quick and not very coherent thoughts here: 

I think best bands (to my personal taste) sound just like themselves. None exist in vacuum, of course, so there are similarities and influences, but the big picture is their own. So that particular music I enjoy could've been made only by that certain band at that certain time if that makes sense. 

As opposite, a lot of (current) mainstream hit music sounds, to me, like it could've been made by anyone. It's a product made to sell units. 

Another point is that there are many bands I've enjoyed seeing live but not on record. Actually seeing the band in front you can bring another level to the music, though there are of course others factors, too, when you compare live and recorded music. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2021 at 11:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Kind of a weird question. From a certain point of view it's the quality of the albums that determines the quality of the band. However there are many other important aspects of a band to consider than simply how good their discography is. Like, I'd argue Gentle Giant has a stronger discography as a whole than PFM ...

Hi,

Sadly I think you hurt your argument here. There is no such thing as a "stronger" this or that. Picasso does not have a greater discography (instead of art) than Miro, or Dali! You still stare and wonder at all three and their work!

The moment you enter into the subjective idea of something or other your argument loses its strength and you must see that. In 40/50 years time, when you have heard 10K more albums and at least 2 or 3K more bands, the idea of something being "stronger" or "favorite" enters an area that is totally ridiculous ... and you will see THEN how silly the choice thing is in the first place, and very immature at times ... and that's not to say that youth does not have its place, IT DOES and almost all of the PROGRESSIVE folks at the start had just been teenagers and turned 20 or so when the majority of these great works appeared. But, within a commercial state, this is impossible. It all becomes a favorite to help the sales of the big ones already "owned" by commercial interests, thus interfering with the actual educational and instinctive value of all the arts.

It's kinda insane and ridiculous to think "quality of the albums" based on one piece ... so DaVinci is a genius based on one painting and the rest of his stuff is all worthless doodles? So everyone meets Guernica, but no one can see the massive thing in Chicago? Essentially, you have to get off the "greater" or "lesser" anything in your discussion, and if you compare, you must maintain a different point ... like GG was based on some literary ideas, and PFM more on classical music, something that you can actually put your teeth on! Then I think your work will have more depth, but right off the bat say "quality" of their geography ... is nuts, totally nutz. 

You can have your favorites, like many of us do, but you'll never know which band is my favorite of all, because I don't have one and I don't go around saying that one minute of this is better than one minute of Orff, Beethoven, or Mozart, or Banco, or Pink Floyd!

Hope this helps ... 

Hope this helps? What would this possibly help with? Maybe you prefer to think of all art as being of equal quality, but you're not going to convince me of that. Art is subjective. Subjective things are prone to being ranked and rated by the people who like to do such things, and that is their prerogative. I happen to be one of those people. You happen to have a different philosophy. C'est la vie.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2021 at 16:27
The work by the artist(s) is way more important to me than the person behind the artist persona. That being said, knowing about the person(s) behind the work might influence the way I experience their, his or her work. But the ultimate goal is still to approach "die Sache selbst".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>