Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ultimate Classic Rock's Prog Song List Opinions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate Classic Rock's Prog Song List Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate Classic Rock's Prog Song List Opinions?
    Posted: December 09 2021 at 11:19
This list has been made months ago, but I wanted to talk about it. What do you guys think about it? I think it was a pretty bad list, because I was annoyed over the fact that Stairway to Heaven and Bohemian Rhapsody hit the top 5 section. Then Roundabout got in the top ten. Then there was the predictable #1 choice that was CTTE. I do not know, maybe the writer was trying to appeal to the masses with the list so he had to put accessible music in the top 5. If UCR was UPR, then Queen and Led Zeppelin would not take top 5 spots and either not be on the list at all or be really low on it. 
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/progressive-rock-songs/

Edited by SuperMetro - December 09 2021 at 11:19
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 11:55
 It kind of a hit & miss list. It's not all bad but you are right about Zeppelin & Queen in the top ten , not real prog songs, (prog related at best). Also Radiohead in the top ten is kind of questionable even though I do like that song.  It's more of a mainstream rock site so I'm not surprised at some of the choices. Still there is a lot of good stuff on there. 
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 12:30
I would argue every day of the week that Bohemian Rhapsody and Stairway To Heaven are absolutely real prog. It's just that Queen and Zeppelin did other styles of rock more often, so they don't get as much respect for their contributions to the prog canon. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 12:40
No Henry Cow - Living In The Heart Of The Beast no Nogbad

(not a bad list)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 15:31
Although not all of these tracks (or bands) are super obvious most seem to be English or English language albums.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 18:19
All these lists are always controversial, being that are put together under a particular criteria, and not always have the approval of everyone, as it would be expected. I honestly don't care much about this type of things. I have my own list and that's what counts for me, regardless of what other people think, and I'm sure others have theirs and don't care what I think of them. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 18:25
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I would argue every day of the week that Bohemian Rhapsody and Stairway To Heaven are absolutely real prog. It's just that Queen and Zeppelin did other styles of rock more often, so they don't get as much respect for their contributions to the prog canon. 

Agreed. Just because Queen and Led Zeppelin are prog-related doesn't mean they didn't have certain songs that were full-fledged prog from time-to-time, such as Bohemian Rhapsody, The Prophet's Song, Stairway to Heaven, No Quarter, etc.
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 20:23
To me those songs (stairway to heaven and Bohemian Rhapsody) are more like art rock. I won't argue about it but I personally don't really hear anything  prog about them. I do think LZ has done a few prog tracks but Stairway isn't really one of them(not to me anyway). 
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 20:52
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Agreed. Just because Queen and Led Zeppelin are prog-related doesn't mean they didn't have certain songs that were full-fledged prog from time-to-time, such as Bohemian Rhapsody, The Prophet's Song, Stairway to Heaven, No Quarter, etc.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I mean, how could The March Of The Black Queen for instance be anything other than prog?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 21:00

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I mean, how could The March Of The Black Queen for instance be anything other than prog?

Definitely. Then again, I've always been a bit of an outlier when it comes to Queen on this site. I've long held the belief that Queen I and Queen II should have warranted the band's inclusion as a full-fledged band on the site, even though I know that'll never happen.
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 01:04

Definitely. Then again, I've always been a bit of an outlier when it comes to Queen on this site. I've long held the belief that Queen I and Queen II should have warranted the band's inclusion as a full-fledged band on the site, even though I know that'll never happen.

For me, Queen is no more or less prog than Genesis or Split Enz. All had more overtly prog beginnings, before transitioning to a more accessible and mainstream sound that still maintained elements of prog. With all three bands, the point of transition is a grey area that is often argued, but generally the ‘70s releases were the more prog, and the ‘80s releases the more pop.

There are a lot of bands and artists in PA that are, to me, less prog than many here only as “prog related”. But that is because what is or isn’t prog is incredibly subjective. There will always be those who are happy to accept Queen as prog, and there will be those louder voices that vehemently deny it. And not just Queen, of course. Just recently there has (once again) been argument about whether Radiohead is a prog band.

The funny thing, to me, is that one of the criteria for bands or artists being included in PA is whether or not they are perceived or recognised as prog outside PA. Queen is routinely accepted as prog by a lot of people in a lot of places outside PA. It is generally the gatekeepers who are more strident in ensuring only the most prog get through. The world outside PA is far more lenient and accepting.

Since being a collaborator here, I have seen a few bands rejected for PA, that have played almost every prog festival in the UK, have regularly featured in Prog magazine, and have fairly large fan bases in several FB prog groups. I have no argument with their being rejected, if they are not considered prog enough for PA. But there will always be a difference between what the world at large considers prog, and what is included in PA. Queen is no different, and it is hardly surprising to me that Bohemian Rhapsody appears in this list, nor as high as it does.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 04:58
OMG, Queen were never prog! Queen II has about 3 songs that might be prog related and then about one an album if you're lucky . The best of their prog songs for me was Innuendo. Wonderful album and a great band but never prog imo. I was vehemently against them being included on any basis and still stick to that view.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 05:59
not a bad list at all 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 06:44
The thing is, if Stairway to Heaven and Bohemian Rhapsody qualify, they have to be listed high. Not surprised. Overall I'm largely fine with that list. Non-angloamerican stuff is fairly well represented, if not in the top 10. Radiohead, I'm all for it. A particular nod goes to Curved Air - Metamorphosis on 21, which is mightily good and rarely mentioned.
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 07:53
its a good list.

further down on the same web page, they have their top 50 progressive albums and below that, their top 50 progressive artists.  all of the listed is here in PA albeit in a different order.

solid lists.
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

its a good list.

further down on the same web page, they have their top 50 progressive albums and below that, their top 50 progressive artists.  all of the listed is here in PA albeit in a different order.

solid lists.
The artists page was written by the same guy, and also has artwork of certain prog artists. I was very satisfied with that list, since Camel got in the top 10, and King Crimson taking the lead. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 21:41
It might be interesting to compare it to digital dream door's list (which is much longer so maybe a bit unfair).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 10 2021 at 21:44
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 22:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It might be interesting to compare it to digital dream door's list (which is much longer so maybe a bit unfair).

less diverse, but not bad either. 
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 11:57
The Dude said it best: "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..."
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
 Post Reply Post Reply