Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite South and Far East Asia albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite South and Far East Asia albums?
    Posted: December 11 2021 at 04:25

Let us continue our musical journey to South and Far East Asia, and see what that brings. 

We've just had a Japanese thread, and there's a Japanese blog so, no reason to include this country here.
- And like in the African thread, not all of the musicians have to be of Asian origin - as I see it.

My own harvest from this part of world is so far:

L. Shankar  (India)  -  Song for everyone   (1985, Jazz Fusion)

Trilok Gurtu  (India)  -  The Glimpse   (1996, Jazz Fusion)

Garbarek & Khan (India/Pakistan) - Ragas and Sagas (1992, Hindustani Classical Music / ECM Jazz)

Cold Fairyland  (China)  2005 Live  (2006, Progressive Rock)

Cold Fairyland (China) Seeds On The Ground (2007, Chinese Folk Music / Progressive Folk)

Lin Di & Cool Zone  (China) - Ten Days In Magic Land  (2003, Progressive Folk-Rock)

Lin Di  (China)  -  Bride in Legend   (2004, Progressive Folk)

Guruh Gipsy  (Indonesia)  -  Guruh Gipsy   (1977, Progressive Rock)

The countries, I mention, refers primarily to the origins of the music.

And I hope, you'll enjoy it! Smile

Edited by David_D - February 08 2023 at 12:32
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:17

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what comes up here. 

Edited by David_D - December 11 2021 at 09:17
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:20
^ India is considered South Asia, I have lots of Indian records, but that is not considered East Asia.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:44
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ India is considered South Asia, I have lots of Indian records, but that is not considered East Asia.

So, I have by now changed my OP to include South Asia. Ok?

Edited by David_D - December 11 2021 at 10:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:53
Great, and let me start with:
Ali Akbar Khan
Ravi Shankar
Talvin Singh
L Shankar
L Subramaniam
Ashwin Batish

Edited by Easy Money - December 11 2021 at 09:54
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:54
East Asia to me immediately connotes Chakutia, Kamchatka, Magadan Oblast, Sakhalin, Khabarovsk Krai, Primorsky Krai, Japan, Korea, Manchuria, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, and coastal China, not Southeast Asia and certainly not India! 

Of the few I know, two of my favorites are most definitely:
Cicada (Taiwan)
Jambinai (South Korea)

and maybe, SIU2 (Hong Kong) and Hai Qing and Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli from Mongolia

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:56
^ He changed the thread title now.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 09:58
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

So, I have by now changed my OP to include South Asia - to be precise. Ok?

But it's greater with "South and Far East Asia", as it's more including than East Asia (according to Wikipedia) so, I've changed again my OP to that.

Edited by David_D - December 11 2021 at 10:26
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 10:57
Wow just wow
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 14:56
I'd like to tell here a little about my first "meeting" with the Chinese Lin Di and the band Cold Fairyland, which she was the leading member of, because even it happend about 15 years ago, it was such a great experience.
It happend one very warm summer day, and I think, I was searching for Chinese bands on my computer, but anyway, I found a concert with Cold Fairyland on a Dutch site with concerts from Paradiso in Amsterdam. And from the very first moment of this about 40 minutes concert, I was just entirely speechlees.
I wish my English was better to be able to describe what I saw, heard and felt because it was so great and moved me so much. This outstanding performance of black dressed musicians playing their mix of heavy and dark, like King Crimson (Red) influenced but yet Symphonic Prog, and Chinese Folk music, using among other instruments pipa, Chinese kind of acoustic (traditional) "guitar"/lute, and electric cello, adding Lin Di's very emotional and beautiful vocal. - That was almost love at the first sight.
Then, I must say, the video I saw of this concert was very well shut and edited, like a piece of art itself, and the sound quality on it was exceptional good - likewise on my computer speakers. 

At that time, I wrote music articles and reviews for a Danish Hi-Fi magazine so actually, I wrote a review of this concert, and I contacted Cold Fairyland for their releases - but that is another story. Smile

About pipa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipa 

Edited by David_D - December 14 2021 at 04:33
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 15:39

But here right now, I don't know, maybe I've got a bit too far out with this musical journey. Big smile

Edited by David_D - December 14 2021 at 04:35
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 01:34
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Wow just wow

thank you very much, Nogbad
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 04:07
From what I can remember... oops sorry, mostly japanese stuff here. I edited my post, but my japanese reccomndations are are still very reccomended, so I won't remove them. The five at the bottom are non-japanese:

Takeshi Inomata (& Sound L.T.D) - Sound of Sound Limited + Takeshi Inomata & the Third - Morning Glory
Toshiaki Yokota And The Beat Generation - Flute Adventure
Katsuhisa Hattori - Edo No Kaze
Masabumi Kikuchi  - One Way Traveller
Hiromasa Suzuki - Kumikyoku Furukotofumi
Hikaru Hayashi - The Naked Island
Kazuko Matsuo - Sakai + 夜のハスキー第2集
Akira Ishikawa & His Count Buffalos - Tsugaru Jongara
Stomu Yamashta - Floating Music
J.A. Caesar - Den'en Ni Shisu
Asakawa Maki - Asakawa Maki no Sekai + Maki II
Far East Family Band - Parallel World
Masahiko Sato - Belladonna of Sadness;
Haruomi Hosono & Tadanori Yokoo - Cochin Moon

Park In Hee - 세월아 / 봄이오는길
Lee Mija - Lee Mi-ja's Folk Song Album (Hong Hyun-Gul's Arrangement Book)
Мирза Тоиров (Mirza Toirov) - Най (Nay)
Yanti Bersaudara - Sinbad

Lovely South Korean album:

Edited by Saperlipopette! - December 12 2021 at 04:16
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 06:24

okay, thank you very much, Saperlipopette! 

Edited by David_D - December 12 2021 at 06:26
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 06:46
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Of the few I know, two of my favorites are most definitely:
Cicada (Taiwan)
Jambinai (South Korea)

and maybe, SIU2 (Hong Kong) and Hai Qing and Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli from Mongolia

Jambinai's Onda (2019) is a very well known album on RYM.

Edited by David_D - December 12 2021 at 07:00
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 08:08

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Wow just wow

thank you very much, Nogbad

I could be wrong, but I don’t think you should be thankful. I’m pretty sure this comment of awe is in regard to how awful this thread is, rather than how awesome. Potentially even worse, but definitely as bad, as the Eastern Europe thread, and for the same reasons. It’s funny how you accused someone of being racist when they obviously weren’t, when you come far closer yourself - though I’m sure you do it innocently and without malice.

Once again you have grouped together a huge range of different countries, cultures and musical traditions, in a fashion that could easily be viewed as insulting and/or offensive. I assume, but could be wrong, that the “wow” comment is simply because you have not taken onboard any of the criticism within the Eastern Europe thread, have not learnt your lesson, and have put forward another grouping of countries. It would appear you couldn’t even get the the geography right this time, from earlier comments. Well done for taking that on the chin, and editing your topic and OP to reflect the broader geography, but geez - now the geographical area is even greater, and has an even greater number of cultures, languages, traditions and instruments.

For example, the music just within the Indian subcontinent is incredibly diverse, and certainly unlike the music of Japan, which is likely to be the next most known country for music in these fora. (In fact, Japan has had more than one thread dedicated just to it before, and is one of many countries within this region that could easily have their own post, rather than be grouped together with countries that share nothing other than your grouping them together.

I think it’s admirable that you are trying to be as active as you are in the forum, and there is a lot of merit in finding out what people like from various regions of the world - but please (please) try and make them smaller, and more sensible. In both the Eastern Europe thread and (before you edited it) this one, you have included countries that just logically have no connection to the larger grouping, and are asking people to draw from a pool that while it might not seem large to you, if you are not greatly familiar with it, is simply too vast and too differing, to realistically make a list.

I know you are not going to find this comment constructive, and I’m sorry about that. But I hope you can at least understand where I am coming from.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 12:46
^I don't know why this has to be so problematic. Yes its a huge range of different countries that don't share the same musical traditions obviously - but they do have in common that most westeners know very little of their music.

If we can have favorite european prog or music-posts, which we obviously can - although Portugal, Finland and Albania share just as little - or less musical traditions  than Korea, Mongolia and Taiwan do... a favorite South and Far East Asia albums should be ok as well. It's just a way of getting to know some new music, isn't it? Curiosity and openness is a good thing, so don't please make it into something bad just because people struggle a little with the geography.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - December 13 2021 at 04:09
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 12:49
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I know you are not going to find this comment constructive, and I’m sorry about that. But I hope you can at least understand where I am coming from.

Nick, all I can tell you is the same I said in connection to the East European thread. You're right about the principles but totally unrealistic in relation to the PA reality. That is surely confirmed by the results of the East European thread, and seems already to be confirmed by this thread. 
There's absolutely not enough interest among PA members for what you have in mind - myself including, for not to talk about who should make all these threads you have in mind. YOU??

So, you're absolutely right, I don't find your comment constructive, and just please, GET OF MY NECK!

Edited by David_D - December 12 2021 at 12:59
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 13:32

Something else, Nick, this behaviour of yours can easily make you troubles on PA. 
Is that what you want?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 13:40

Something else, Nick, this behaviour of yours can easily make you troubles on PA. 
Is that what you want?

Troubles? You're going to report him to the administration? Precious. Too f'ing funny.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 12 2021 at 13:41
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>