Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Down by the Riverside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down by the Riverside
    Posted: December 12 2021 at 22:41
I"m totally new to this forum (hello everybody) and I've had a bit of a wander around the forum, however I have yet to see a mention of Riverside or Lunatic Soul ( the side project from Riverside lead singer Mariusz Duda). Lunatic Soul is at least as good as Pineapple Tree and as far as I'm concerned Riverside prog all over Dream Theater.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 12 2021 at 22:44
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 00:18
Love Riverside, Lunatic Soul is a hit and miss with me. 

Open some threads, start some discussion, no worries. Smile
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 01:07
Yeah, Lunatic Soul are a completely different proposition to Riverside, and it is totally understandable to me why Duda would have to do that stuff seperate from Riverside.

I really do like that certain anbience Duda creates with lunatic Soul, which is for the most absent from Riverside.

A lot less organic. A lot more programmed.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 13 2021 at 01:20
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 01:19
I love both, but probably prefer Lunatic Soul. Wasteland is my favourite Riverside album because it is closest to Lunatic Soul, and Fractured is my favourite Lunatic Soul album because it is closest to Riverside. I thought it was possibly just my imagination that in 2017/18 the two projects seemed to be moving closer to each other, but this was confirmed in at least two interviews I read with Mariusz, where he noted that he was aware of it, and was intending the next Lunatic Soul and Riverside releases to drift away from each other once more, as they were getting too close.

It’s also worth checking out his three solo releases created during lockdown. The third and final album in the trilogy is probably the most accessible entry point, as it has considerable Lunatic Soul vibes: https://mariuszduda.bandcamp.com/album/interior-drawings

There’s also two great releases (one studio and one live) from Meller Golyzniak Duda.

And, although I prefer the following Indukti release, the debut full length from the band, S.U.S.A.R. is probably the better known, because of the presence of Duda on vocals.

There are more, of course, but these are the “main” Duda releases, I think. 🤔

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 01:44
Riverside are definitely held in high esteem on the forum quite rightly. They have produced some of the best prog of the last 20 years and also amazingly consistent. I do like Lunatic Soul but maybe they are not so exciting but good stuff all the same.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 02:04
Yes, amazingly consistant, without falling into a rut.

Listen to "Love, Fear and the Time Machine" (my personal favorite of theirs) next to "Wasteland" and it's hard to beleive these two albums are from the same band.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 02:52
I really like Riverside; I've known them since their first album. I also have CDs of Lunatic Soul.

And if you don't know them, try Indukti - SUSAR and Retrospective - Latent Avidity (Poland).

Edited by PhideauxFan - December 13 2021 at 02:53
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 03:52
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Lunatic Soul is at least as good as Pineapple Tree and as far as I'm concerned Riverside prog all over Dream Theater.

You mean Pineapple Thief or Porcupine Tree?
yet you still have time!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 03:57
O0ps, sorry. I indeed meant Porcupine Tree. 

Nice catch.

I don't rate Pineapple Theif with either Riverside or Porcupine Tree.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 05:31
I adore Riverside.  
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 12:03
They are mentioned now and then, and their PA entry tell tales of a band delivering consistently high quality material since 2003, with five albums (nearly six), passing an average rating of 4.0.

I’ve been a fan for years and saw their Time Machine tour live, which was a great experience.

I have listened a bit to Lunatic Soul, but it hasn’t quite caught me.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 16:24
I'm a big Riverside fan, have all their records and a few CDs. Their albums are all very consistent, Love Fear is a big departure from their original sound. I still spin it but it may be too melancholy for me, Wasteland was a good return to a heavier sound. I'm hoping that continues, if we want melancholy then Lunatic Soul for sure, I don't need it from both bands.
I started listening to them around 2006 with SLS, their albums since then have been auto-buy.

Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 17:15
ADHD is probably my favoutive album of all time.

By the way, there've been solo albums by Duda and by Lapaj this year, worth a try.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 17:32
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It’s also worth checking out his three solo releases created during lockdown. The third and final album in the trilogy is probably the most accessible entry point, as it has considerable Lunatic Soul vibes: https://mariuszduda.bandcamp.com/album/interior-drawings

I listened to the Lockdown trilogy. A little bit Tangerine Dream, a little bit ambient Eno. I certainly agree that "Interior Drawings" is the most accessible of the three and I particularly liked "How to Overcome Crises" mostly because I was pleased to hear a little bit of vocals slip in.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 13 2021 at 17:33
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 17:41

I"m totally new to this forum (hello everybody) and I've had a bit of a wander around the forum, however I have yet to see a mention of Riverside or Lunatic Soul ( the side project from Riverside lead singer Mariusz Duda). Lunatic Soul is at least as good as Pineapple Tree and as far as I'm concerned Riverside prog all over Dream Theater.

Pineapple Tree? Is that a mistake or are you deliberately conflating Porcupine Tree with The Pineapple Thief? Wink

Anyway, Riverside have been mentioned on here a lot in the past. They are definitely not an unknown band around here. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 18:08
Thank you for another reminder of my fogheadedness.

I look forward to my mistakes being referred to quite regularly. 

I do have an annoying tendency towards imperfection.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 19:12

Thank you for another reminder of my fogheadedness.

I look forward to my mistakes being referred to quite regularly. 

I do have an annoying tendency towards imperfection.

Sorry, I didn't read the other posts until later where you already addressed the PT thing. I guess my annoying thing is I skip around and don't read threads on here in a chronological order. As Yoda might say "stop doing that I must." 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 13 2021 at 19:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 19:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I guess my annoying thing is I skip around and don't read threads on here in a chronological order. 

Don't sweat it. I am guilty of the same affliction. Sometimes my enthusiasm to post overrides due diligence.

At any rate, I considered editing my OP when it was pointed out initially but that would make that post redundant, and thinking about all the paradigm stretching implications of that course of action gave me a head ache, so I just left it all to fate and the gods.

I shake my fist at fate and the gods.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 13 2021 at 19:59
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 10:07
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

And if you don't know them, try Indukti - SUSAR ...

yes, indeed!!
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 10:22
I'm quite/very fond of Riverside's first two albums, and Lunatic Soul's debut album.
Riverside's first album was in fact one of those which started my fondness of Metal.
How much Riverside has been mention on PA forums can you for instance see in this Polish thread
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127824 

My very much welcome to you on PA forums, and again thank you very much for your participation in the "South and Far East Asia" thread.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>