Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Somalgia - Inverted World (Zopp side project)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TC1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Somalgia - Inverted World (Zopp side project)
    Posted: December 13 2021 at 03:01

SOMALGIA - INVERTED WORLD

“Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom”

On ‘Inverted World’, Somalgia present a psychedelic interpretation of a dystopian reality set in a world not unlike our own.  The album covers an eclectic range of influences & genres from black metal, trip-hop and folk to progressive & psychedelic rock. 

Lyrically, ‘Inverted World’ follows a young man’s journey through an awakening process in which he struggles to come to terms with the nature of reality, falls down endless conspiracy rabbit holes, battles addiction, consumerism & technology overload and ultimately understands what it means to be an outsider in a backwards world.

Tom Collins & Ryan Stevenson (Zopp, Rulum) are the living men that created the album.  Tom states ‘Somalgia was initially a solo project of mine that I’d been working on since 2018, Ryan came into the fold in late 2020 when I asked him to mix the album.  He ended up taking 6 months to completely rework the album into what you hear today.’

Ryan adds ‘Tom and i both share a love for many different artists and find the idea of genre boring today, so we naturally threw all sorts into the final mix from the beginning of the process.  This meant that I had plenty of artistic freedom when it came to producing and helping with the song writing; by adding mellotrons, 808 beats, guitar solos and much more, we ended up crafting an album that sounds truly post-genre!'

LISTEN: https://somalgia.bandcamp.com/releases

(also available on all streaming platforms)

Tracklist :

1.            God is Dead – 2:58
Recalcitrant – 3:53
3.            Wonderland – 7:20
Consumer – 2:55
5.            The March of Tyranny – 7:20
Dear Rulers – 5:23

Final Utterance – 5:13

Somalgia is:

Tom Collins – Electric and acoustic guitars, vocals, lyrics, synths.
Ryan Stevenson – Keyboards, guitars, vocals, drums.

Session vocals performed by: Kat Elizabeth

Recorded in late 2019/early 2020 At Zopp Studios

Mixed and produced by Ryan Stevenson

Mastered by Kerberos in ‘The Crypt’

Edited by TC1991 - December 13 2021 at 03:09
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 03:33
Ryan sent me the Press Pack, and I’m thoroughly enjoying this so far! Great work, Tom! I’m looking forward to reviewing this release, once I have a few more run throughs of the album under my belt.

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 03:34
I liked to be underway in the Wonderland Thumbs Up

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:49
It sounded good enough to me to check it out, and I will.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 08:14
Sounds like something I need to hear...
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply