Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd - The Best of the Worst

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - The Best of the Worst
    Posted: December 13 2021 at 06:39
Did they get it right ?

Edited by JD - December 13 2021 at 06:39
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 06:43
No, they didn't get it right. 
A lot of great songs in that list.

They also mentioned how the critics at the time received those song, which if you ask me it's totally irrelevant. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 06:47
Aww, "See-Saw" is honestly one of my favourite PF songs. I also really love "Sysyphus", "A Saucerful Of Secrets" and "Learning To Fly".
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 07:15
The writer was really bored and decided to blame somebody...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 07:44
The Nile Song and Saucerful Of Secrets are excellent.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 08:55

wrong wrong wrong!  LOL

See-Saw and The Nile Song, among my favorites.

Pow R. Toc H...   downright heresy.         (seems like they tossed a coin or somethin'.. maybe Take Up Thy Stethoscope...? anyway, don't mess with Piper  ;) )

Grand Vizier's and Sisyphus we could talk...

About the 80's stuff and onward.. I don't even know it  (except Take It Back, that I like enough).

For the best, I wouldn't mind voting for Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast or Corporal Clegg.

Edited by Machinemessiah - December 14 2021 at 07:05
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 09:11
Not really. I can think of many other PF songs that are poorly composed, orchestrated, and instrumented.
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 09:22
Pointless list. Like any other list is totally subjective, and as once a wine expert said: The best wine is the one YOU like, so it applies to music. If the list was one constructed by people votes we can accept it as the most or least liked but never best or worst.
And that is my opinion and applies to all lists.
Long live Progresive music!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:06
^Well then, there will not be much of interest to you in these forums... all lists and polls.

And "Another Pink Floyd Poll"???

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - December 13 2021 at 11:09
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:11
Best of lists are done by people who get the songs, worst of lists are done by people who don't get them.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:41
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Did they get it right ?
No this is a list made by and for boring people. 8-9 of these (all 1967-1970) are truly amazing.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 12:00
Well, our esteemed site gets a couple of mentions, and a huge shout out to Hugues who is quoted directly. Oh, the pressures of fame!

I rather like both Fletcher Memorial Home and Saucerful of Secrets, and can listen to Dogs of War without getting overly embarrassed. Aside from that, not much to argue about, really.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 12:45
Progarchives critic Sean Trane described it as “near-atrocious U2-esque.” Note that a comparison to the band U2 is not a compliment here.

Fantastic Clap
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 12:53
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Progarchives critic Sean Trane described it as “near-atrocious U2-esque.” Note that a comparison to the band U2 is not a compliment here.

Fantastic Clap
And I always thought he was PA's worst reviewer. Serves me right.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 14:53
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

They also mentioned how the critics at the time received those song, which if you ask me it's totally irrelevant. 

Yep. I only agree with a few being not too good like dogs of war, Seamus and corporal Clegg. Actually dogs of war isn't too bad. Seamus and CC on the other hand.....

Also, let there be more light is a great opener imo.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 13 2021 at 14:57
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 14:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Yep. I only agree with a few being not too good like dogs of war, Seamus and corporal Clegg. Actually dogs of war isn't too bad. Seamus and CC on the other hand.....

Also, let there be more light is a great opener imo.

Seamus and Corporal Clegg are meant to be humorous, not to be taken that seriously. I don't have a problem with them. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 15:20
That might be so but that howling dog gets on my nerves after a while. ;)

Also, it's interesting that they had most of the Ummagumma studio tracks on the list but not Interstellar Overdrive. IO is mostly just random sounds(some might say noise) and not very musical at all(imo). 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 16:30
Pink Floyd rules!! And by that I mean I have been listening to Floyd since around 1973-74, I have found that almost all of their albums have aged very well and are still more than relevant in my music collection.

No the list is wrong, I mean what list is ever right
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 20:14
Man this writer really seems to have it out for A Saucerful Of Secrets, I love that album! Not their best by any means, but it's certainly an excellent little nugget of psychedelia.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 20:34
Opinions are like a**holes. This guy just has several sphincters. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>