Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd - The Best of the Worst

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 03:23
Bar Let There Be More Light, Breakfast, Nile, Pow R & Saucerful, I don't find much to disagree with the multiple-sphincter dude who made the list.

The other 15 would probably be in my own worst 20, should I ever find the time and troubke to set a list of bthe sort.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 06:53
Big fan of Mudmen, all the tracks on Saucerful of Secrets except Corporal Clegg.  Prefer the Mason and Wright's contributions to Ummagumma over Waters and Gilmour's.  Never understood the beef with Dogs of War.  Named my dog Seamus so I like that track.  I guess if you have to make a list some of those others like Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast would be on it and a couple of others but for a worst of list should have started with many songs on More.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 07:13
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Big fan of Mudmen, all the tracks on Saucerful of Secrets except Corporal Clegg.  Prefer the Mason and Wright's contributions to Ummagumma over Waters and Gilmour's.  Never understood the beef with Dogs of War.  Named my dog Seamus so I like that track.  I guess if you have to make a list some of those others like Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast would be on it and a couple of others but for a worst of list should have started with many songs on More.

More is one of my favorite PF albums... 
Wright's and Gilmour's songs on Ummagumma are fine. 
Live versions of Grantchester Meadows are better, like this one:

Also what's wrong with Julia Dream or See saw, Let There Be Light, or Mudmen... 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 07:24
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

The writer was really bored and decided to blame somebody...

Hi,

Nahhhhh ... I would have fired the writer on the spot for writing one of the worst pieces of anything!

This way, the writer might learn how to do something with a much better direction than being stupid!

Edited by moshkito - December 15 2021 at 08:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 08:01
His name is Hélène Carignan btw.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 08:19
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Did they get it right ?

No one noticed the terrible mistake in the introduction?
Roger Waters replaced Syd Barrett? Really? It predicts the quality of the list. LOL

hergest ridge View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hergest ridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 11:18
According to them, "Let there be more light" would be “melodically, harmonically and lyrically boring. "
I really don't agree with them. This track is one of my favorites from Pink Floyd !
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 15:25
I don't fully disagree with Miss Grape's list, but there are a few songs that definitely don't belong to PF's worst 20:
  • Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.
    A rather weird piece. Maybe not music, but I like that old Scottish speech and it is a perfect transition between Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way.
  • Let There Be More Light.
    Could be my favourite track off A Saucerful of Secrets.
  • Mudmen.
    The author apparently has an peculiar aversion against Richard Wright's compositions.
  • Sisyphus parts 1-4.
    This is arguably the most cinematic piece in Pink Floyd's entire catalog. Anyway, the author spells the name correctly.
  • The Nile Song.
    Definitely one of the best tracks off More.There are quite few others on this album to choose from, though it is still a good album.
  • See-saw.
    Another charming Wright song. Not the most noticeable track on the album, but quite out of place on such a list.
  • Pow R. Toc H.
    Maybe the most significant track save one (Interstellar Overdrive) from their psychedelic period.
  • A Saucerful of Secrets.
    One of the classics of their early days. Did you understand the music, Hélène, or was it all in vain?

Edited by someone_else - December 14 2021 at 15:27
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 15:58
Kind of pointless as it totally avoids the popular albums. Would have been more interesting to come up with stuff from the well known albums. Have A Cigar? or even The Great Gig In The Sky would have been controversial and started a debate. Not saying they are bad though should anyone jump on me...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 16:23
Well I certainly didn't want to wind anyone up too much with this post...(or did I Evil Smile) but I do agree with a lot of the responses. It always makes me laugh a little when I see these types of lists, and often you can tell how well, or un-well the author is versed on the music/band. Like the Syd Barrett/Roger Waters comment. In the first paragraph I'm already shaking my head with a Waaaa?????
But since 'prog music' articles come up very rarely, I just though I'd share.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 18:14

Did they get it right ?

Drop some LSD, listen to those songs and then check back!!  LOL

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 08:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Did they get it right ?

Hi,

Sadly, this is the synthetic age, and these folks don't know the difference whatsoever, and it is very well visible in this board, btw. 

However, I DO NOT want folks simply doing this stuff for the sake of doing it, and just get folks vaping and doing cheapashcrap dope and thinking they are stoned ... they are merely dazed by bad chemicals, and have no idea what the real thing is like, and will never try it, anyway!

One would hope that they could even read a little Huxley, but asking someone to read something, specially here, is like asking them to jump off the pier into the ocean ... "it's too cold", and they haven't jumped in yet!

The music, is not any more about dope than it was about anything else ... when Syd sings about the plane landing upside down, we think he is stoned, but he could just as easily been giving you the daily news in a flash, and we decided that it was stoney stuff instead. Story suggested otherwise, but in reality, not a lot of the lyrics by Syd were so stoned as to right out in the middle of nowhere, and I think that the members of the band ensured that the stuff stayed well focused, instead of it just being an Alice in Wonderland, which it wasn't by very far! It wasn't a child's story, for example.

There is a lot of great music with dope, and a lot more cheapashcrap music without dope that is being flouted as a hit or some meaningful this or that, which will change you life!

I just wish that more of us would be more "real" about things, and not so stuck on silly notions and favoritism, which is that article seems to show ... that any music that doesn't "fit" its list is crap! 

We should all gather up some coins and send the magazine and the writer a very large mirror for them to look at since all they are showing is their Dorian Grey side! And we give them the attention they deserve, instead of us giving the article more "fame" and "hits", because these days in the Internet it is all about the hits, and we just gave them a shish load of them which will gladly help them go to the bank and show that advertiser that they get the hits!

We still don't get it! Same thing some 50 years plus ago when folks were telling some church idiots to shut up ... and instead they made the thing famous, and ushered in the new beta and then video market full force with a million seller and then some! You still don't get it?

Edited by moshkito - December 15 2021 at 08:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 08:58
^I was joking, M!  It was part of the times.  Do some kind of drug, put on psych music, drift off.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 14:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

More is one of my favorite PF albums... 
Wright's and Gilmour's songs on Ummagumma are fine. 
Live versions of Grantchester Meadows are better, like this one:

Also what's wrong with Julia Dream or See saw, Let There Be Light, or Mudmen... 

Love Mudmen, my fav from OBC, everything is very good on SoS except Corporal Clegg.  Julia Dream,  Narrow Way and Grandchester Meadows are fine.  Several Species is in the running though.  More isn't terrible by any stretch but for me I would have to start there to find a worst of list.  PF is my top band so finding songs to consider the worst is tough.  
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 18:33
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Did they get it right ?

Hi,

Sadly, this is the synthetic age, and these folks don't know the difference whatsoever, and it is very well visible in this board, btw. 

However, I DO NOT want folks simply doing this stuff for the sake of doing it, and just get folks vaping and doing cheapashcrap dope and thinking they are stoned ... they are merely dazed by bad chemicals, and have no idea what the real thing is like, and will never try it, anyway!

One would hope that they could even read a little Huxley, but asking someone to read something, specially here, is like asking them to jump off the pier into the ocean ... "it's too cold", and they haven't jumped in yet!

The music, is not any more about dope than it was about anything else ... when Syd sings about the plane landing upside down, we think he is stoned, but he could just as easily been giving you the daily news in a flash, and we decided that it was stoney stuff instead. Story suggested otherwise, but in reality, not a lot of the lyrics by Syd were so stoned as to right out in the middle of nowhere, and I think that the members of the band ensured that the stuff stayed well focused, instead of it just being an Alice in Wonderland, which it wasn't by very far! It wasn't a child's story, for example.

There is a lot of great music with dope, and a lot more cheapashcrap music without dope that is being flouted as a hit or some meaningful this or that, which will change you life!

I just wish that more of us would be more "real" about things, and not so stuck on silly notions and favoritism, which is that article seems to show ... that any music that doesn't "fit" its list is crap! 

We should all gather up some coins and send the magazine and the writer a very large mirror for them to look at since all they are showing is their Dorian Grey side! And we give them the attention they deserve, instead of us giving the article more "fame" and "hits", because these days in the Internet it is all about the hits, and we just gave them a shish load of them which will gladly help them go to the bank and show that advertiser that they get the hits!

We still don't get it! Same thing some 50 years plus ago when folks were telling some church idiots to shut up ... and instead they made the thing famous, and ushered in the new beta and then video market full force with a million seller and then some! You still don't get it?

I didn't realize you were also elitist about what drugs you take/took. It's almost funny.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 19:43
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I didn't realize you were also elitist about what drugs you take/took. It's almost funny.
That ain't drugs, that's full-blown dementia. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 23:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Progarchives critic Sean Trane described it as “near-atrocious U2-esque.” Note that a comparison to the band U2 is not a compliment here.

Fantastic Clap
Well, the guitar style on that track is almost the same as "Blue Light" on Gilmour's second album, released when U2 was some little known Irish band of the 80s. I think it's a typical Gilmour's solo stuff instead.
In my own review, if I remember well, I have suggested to consider it as just a part of a string of three consecutive songs. It can be appreciated as a "movement" into a little suite.
If you think to The Final Cut, it's more or less what Waters did (a little better, IMO) with Southampton Docks.
Another comparison that can be made is with "The Order Of The Universe" by ABWH. The Howe's intro is quite similar.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 23:44
...and let's just say that the list is rubbish. The only song listed there that O'm used to skip is Alan's, but it has its reasons as it was part of an aborted idea.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 06:55
Given that I really don't like anything they did up to Atom Heart Mother and that after Animals, everything was very patchy, I can't really disagree with this list.
I could have added everything on The Wall except Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 06:57
Saying that you don't like PF was easier.
More or less my feelings with Genesis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>