Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd - The Best of the Worst

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 06:58
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Given that I really don't like anything they did up to Atom Heart Mother and that after Animals, everything was very patchy, I can't really disagree with this list.
I could have added everything on The Wall except Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 08:55
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I didn't realize you were also elitist about what drugs you take/took. It's almost funny.

Hi,

Most folks that make vapid and empty comments have no idea. It's all too much for them, and the fact that it rips apart their idea of reality is an issue.

Folks that know the difference, would not even try to make the comment you did!

But, for the record, it's not EVER about the drugs. We've created a monumental idealistic and full of sh*t reality about the drugs, and now we use substitutes from the local herbery that are cheap, and an insult to the "dope" itself. But you would never even consider that you are being ripped off! Confused
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 11:39
As timely as today's forum posts, they drop anther one that can't go unshared. I haven't reviewed it all yet so no comment for now.

Edited by JD - December 16 2021 at 12:01
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 11:42
And just like that...on the first slide they say they are going to list the bands alphabetically. Then they start with Alan Parson's Project...(sigh) Wacko
But wait...there's this quote.

"The band's 1960 debut In the Court of the Crimson King"

Why do I even bother ??

Edited by JD - December 16 2021 at 11:47
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 11:43
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

As timely as today's forum posts, they drop anther one that can't go unshared. I haven't review it all yet so no comment for now.

not bad, only British and American bands though, plus Rush as always. 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 11:52

As timely as today's forum posts, they drop anther one that can't go unshared. I haven't review it all yet so no comment for now.

Any list with Gentle Giant in it should also have Van der Graaf Generator in it.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 11:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Seamus and Corporal Clegg are meant to be humorous, not to be taken that seriously. I don't have a problem with them.

I quite like Corporal Clegg.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 12:57
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I didn't realize you were also elitist about what drugs you take/took. It's almost funny.

Hi,

Most folks that make vapid and empty comments have no idea. It's all too much for them, and the fact that it rips apart their idea of reality is an issue.

Folks that know the difference, would not even try to make the comment you did!

But, for the record, it's not EVER about the drugs. We've created a monumental idealistic and full of sh*t reality about the drugs, and now we use substitutes from the local herbery that are cheap, and an insult to the "dope" itself. But you would never even consider that you are being ripped off! Confused

I'll agree with you on your first count. I'm not an experienced commenter in this regard. I'm pretty much straight-edge to borrow a term from the punk scene. I guess that's why it seems all the more absurd and elitist to me that you would go on a small rant about how drugs used to be better in the 60s and 70s, and now they're worse, or not even real, or something.  It just seems to come from a very closed minded space, the same kind of space that would argue great "real" music stopped being made after 1973 or 1983 or 1993 etc.  But whatever man, this is supposed to be a discussion about this terrible Pink Floyd list. I'm just gonna stick to that.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:05
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Any list with Gentle Giant in it should also have Van der Graaf Generator in it.

Agreed. Although I thought it wasn't a horrible list overall. At least they had more than DT to represent all of prog metal.  Seems to me they tended to favor slightly lighter fare at times (APP, Supertramp, Moody Blues, Procol Harum), but it's a little confusing to see a couple of those listed when they also seem to know Gentle Giant and Soft Machine deserve spots as well. So... not a horrible list. Kind odd choices here and there, but overall they hit a lot of names that deserved hitting.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 23:32
More than half of the songs I actually like. Yet I must admit that Several Species and The Grand Vizier's Garden Party are indeed perhaps the very worst songs from Floyd (though the flute parts on Grand Vizier's are actually kind of pretty). Now, I do like Take it Back (I don't care about the U2 similarity). Seamus I don't really like, though somehow the Mademoiselle Knobs version on Live at Pompeii doesn't seem to sound so bad to me. Let there be More Light I find really great... I believe that riff has actually been used a few times by other bands. I would have agreed with Alan's Psichedelic Breakfast for a good while, but now I have found that the little pieces of music within are actually kind of beautifu, only that the noises in between don't really help. I actually love The Hero's Return, one of the better on the album... but... it's got to be the single version that has parts 1 and 2 together... as it is in the album it's way to short to actually get to enjoy it; and The Fletcher Memorial Home is also really a great piece. Mudmen is another one that I like a lot... some very beautiful guitar playing there. I do have a soft spot for Julia Dream too. Sisyphus may not be very enjoyable to me in the middle parts, but the beginning and the end is really cool. The Nile song is also really great, one of the high points of More. Anisina is indeed one of the lowest points on that last album... yet, why didn't Gilmour make sure to get Dick Parry? I'm sure that song could have been fixed if only he had done so. Pow R Toc H never was a song I particularly enjoyed, but once I got to hear the live version on The Early Years I really got to apreciate that one. And a Saucerful of Secrets isn't a song I have liked so much either in studio, but the version on Ummagumma is pure gold.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 01:15
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

yep take away Queensryche and add VDGG and it would be fine. Tool and The Mars Volta feature which is correct. Camel fans might be annoyed they aren't included though..

Edited by richardh - December 17 2021 at 01:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123