Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The End of King Crimson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The End of King Crimson?
    Posted: December 16 2021 at 00:47
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 02:25
Maybe it is time to retire, isn't it ? That's life and there will be great post/alternative/progressive music in the future. I am not "sad" of this news. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 02:26
52 years old band, would anyone be surprised if they retire? ConfusedLOL
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 02:30
Well, they've more than earned their right to retire, and Fripp will want to bow out while they're still on a relative high, at least in terms of their ability to perform live.

Of all the classic era prog bands, KC may not be the most commercially successful, but they are the most consistently good IMO. I've seen the three times in recent years, and they were superb.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 02:42
Probably, and certainly with this incarnation. 

You never know with Fripp, and if the music of the Crimson King comes calling he may reform it, but there sadly probably isn't too much time for that, and if this is the permanent end, they certainly went out on top. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 04:51
Hm, this is not even news: it is pure speculation. One must have little excitement in his life to make an 8 minute youtube video about how we could possible interpret this or that twitter of facebook statement...

Fripp is Fripp, he will probably continue to make music (and I hope also those wonderfully silly videos with Toyah) till the end of his life. Performing it is part of his DNA, I guess.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 04:53
Hardly a surprise, probably still plenty of archival releases and I hold out faint hope of a studio (or pseudo-live ala SBB) album from the new material they've been performing live.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 05:09
Whaaaatttt????
You mean no more 25 CD Live Tour Box Sets ?
Whatever shall I do ? LOL
Adios to THE king of prog...King Crimson.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 05:51
I hope they don’t, but it’s understandable. Their legacy will certainly live on.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 06:40
KC is not a band I've ever liked, but many do and it will be sad for their admirers (I'd never call KC's followers "fans").
But the great news for me is that the Royal Albert Hall gig in 2018 was NOT Camel's last gig, as I thought it might be.
https://www.camelproductions.com/
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 07:29
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

(I'd never call KC's followers "fans").

Why not?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 07:51
I'm not  huge fan except for the early albums and the Bruford period---but I think its time to stop---but the reality is some keep working because they need the income. They make next to nothing from their music because of streaming.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 08:10
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Whaaaatttt????

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 08:12
After witnessing Robert Fripp and wife Youtube videos unfold before our eyes I do think is the end of the road for the Crimson King. What other logical conclusion could you have?

Edited by fredyair - December 16 2021 at 08:12
Long live Progresive music!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 08:42
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQsrO8cVnJ0

Hi,

I don't subscribe to the idea that everything/anything has to live forever and will do so. Physically, we know that is impossible, anyway, but the rest is another story, and many fare better than others.

I imagine that Mr. Fripp has decided that the depth and attention to the music within his band, is now exhausting, and perhaps he is feeling that they have milked as much out of it as they can. Or, maybe, there is a sign, by the doctor that says, it's time to stop that travelling and take it easy, and maybe only do a couple of shows here and there with plenty of rest in between ... something he has not really done in huge bunches during the life of KC.

Famous or not, I am not sad, when someone says that he is stopping, because the smell of the roses, and the idea of sharing the rest of his time with his lady, is more important, than us fans wanting yet another KC concert, since many of us HATED (not me, btw!!!) the excursions he had with Frippertonics (spelling) and other solo efforts ... they were never KC and they were too experimental for most of us. Heck, I wanted to see a tour of Brian Eno and Robert Fripp ... that would have been fun, but I think that the majority of the fanboys and fangirls around here would trash "The Heavenly Music Corporation" and "Swastika Girls", specially if it went on for 20 minutes, something that in this board alone, most folks hate as they are into their "hits" and that's way too long for a good hit! 

I would just close my eyes, and enjoy it all!!!

Go on or not, for me, is not an issue. Every one passes away sometime, and we have not even given consideration that it is possible that Mr. Fripp now has an illness that is eating him apart, and maintaining his hand control on the strings and guitar is not as easy as when he was younger specially at 75.

All we can do is say ... thank you ... and I guess that we hope that there is something new in the works, but I kinda doubt it. My feeling is that he has to stop playing and huddle/cuddle his wife a bit more, and enjoy life even further than just a KC gig.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 10:26
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Whaaaatttt????
Adios to THE king of prog...King Crimson.

Bro, those I promise you will still be coming out. 
At some point I expect the Definitive King Crimson Experience: 2,500 CDs-1,500 DVD/BR, 750 LPs, 100 Page Leather bound Book, all remixed by Steven Wilson (again), shipped in a 18th century wooden oak armoire.....Can be yours for US$18,995.99 + Shipping and Handling. (It will sell!)
LOL
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 10:29
I would have liked to see one more studio album, but then again I really didn't like how the last ProjeKct turned out so maybe this is for the best. I'm glad I was able to see them live in Utrecht in 2015, still one of the most mindblowing and satisfying live shows I've been to.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 10:30
I feel sorry that Adrian Belew was shut out of the latest version of KC (I understand why Fripp did this), perhaps Adrian could be tapped to take over the project? 

Or Jakko?  I've seen the most recent KC twice, he is very impressive!!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 10:52
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

(I'd never call KC's followers "fans").

Why not?

I associate the word "fans" as people who follow things like football clubs or boy/girl bands, often because it's a trend.
I think KC admirers are a bit more cerebral.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 11:18
George Harrison said it best " All Things Must Pass" 
It has been a hell of a ride though. 

Edited by Argo2112 - December 16 2021 at 17:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>