Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog metal and jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog metal and jazz
    Posted: December 16 2021 at 12:55
I personally can’t see any appeal in anything remotely metal related - the whole ethos just turns me off, I’m afraid. One thing I have noticed though is a lot of metal fans are not keen on jazz or fusion (both of which I love). Any views/ thoughts?!?!

Edited by Duddick - December 16 2021 at 15:46
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:04
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

I personally can’t see any appeal in anything remotely metal related - the whole ethos just turns me off, I’m afraid. One thing I have noticed though is a lot of metal fans are not keen on jazz or fusion (both if which I love). Any views/ thoughts?!?!

I don't know what you mean by "ethos turning you off", but I like fusion and a little bit of jazz. I still listen to a lot of metal, throughout the years it's got more diverse, I do enjoy a lot of it. 

There are also metalheads that do listen to little bit of prog, I wouldn't be surprised they know a bit about jazz as well. 

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:06
I was a huge metalhead, and I still am a metal music listener. I am more of a classical guy than jazz. But there are jazz and fusion albums that I like very much. Actually I prefer listening to jazz while being performed live. Especially if the music includes free improvsations. For most metalheads, jazz could be a bit too sophisticated. As our regular metal music is quintessentially quite simple. I frankly have no idea if your generalisation is correct or not. Even when I was a huge metalhead, I was quite out of the ordinary. But I can say that most of my metalhead buddies had no interest in jazz music. So, you could be right.
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:18
I know I’m going to get pilloried for this but I think metal is an attitude you choose to buy into. I personally don’t. There are so many things I dislike about it but each to their own. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:28

I know I’m going to get pilloried for this but I think metal is an attitude you choose to buy into. I personally don’t. There are so many things I dislike about it but each to their own. 

I dislike certain aspects as well, certain kind of fans and listeners, people that listen exclusively to metal are rather intolerant usually, dismissive of other kinds of music, a lot of times impossible to have a chat with. 
There are metal subgenres that I dislike or can't get into. 

Also worth mentioning, since your thread is called "progressive metal and jazz", fusion/JRF music, guitarists especially have usually influenced prog metal guitarists/musicians, so that's that. SmileLOL
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:34
I'm keen on both jazz and metal. The group Panzerballett combine both with killer results.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I'm keen on both jazz and metal. The group Panzerballett combine both with killer results.

Exivious combines fusion and metal quite nicely as well. 
Alex Skolnick of Testament had a jazz project at some point, great stuff.
David t. Chastain, guitarist of the band Chastain did a fusion album in the late 90s, quite good. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:39
I'd say the connecting feature in both quality metal & quality jazz is complexity,  so it's not surprising prog fans often like both.

Edited by Atavachron - December 16 2021 at 13:40
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:09
Almost (but not) every fan of metal I know is also a fan of jazz, and vice versa. Yes, I know some people who like metal, but not jazz (or jazz, but not metal), but they are definitely the minority.

The fact there are so many bands that play a metal/jazz hybrid shows that it is not just the fanbases who can appreciate both genres, but the musicians, too.

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:10

Oops. Lost a long(ish) post. Anyway, too lazy to rewrite it now. All I can say is that metal didn't change my attitude. I was always obstinate and my priority was always logic. I can tell many stories about this going back to my 3-year-old self. Metal music indeed granted me power/energy, but it definitely didn't change my attitude. Plus, I've always canalized my energy with a touch of fantasy. Being a real wizard in the material world would be... nightmarish! Geek

Anyhow, here's a metal band that don't try to destroy the world: LOL

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 16 2021 at 14:11
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:12
I certainly prefer Jazz, or Fusion, over Metal, specially Metal from the 21st Century.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:14
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I certainly prefer Jazz, or Fusion, over Metal, specially Metal from the 21st Century.

may I ask what metal from the 21st century you have in mind? 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:26
A few years ago, I googled "Jazz-Metal" (because I thought it might be a novel combination) and got a list that included Counter-World Experience.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:30
Wow this thread has lost control. Approve

Ohm; Chris Poland (ex. Megadeth) on guitar.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:46
Before I got into prog, I was into 70s hard rock / heavy metal (but not 80s metal). Although I love Jazz-Rock, I have little interest in Jazz itself.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 15:17
Your human brain is not capable of distinguishing such fractions as "% of fusion lovers among [a vague definition of some group of people]" and "% of fusion lovers among metalheads" based just on noisy and statistically insignificant anount of personal observations. It is also extremely unclear what this group of people in the first fraction is.
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 15:34
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Wow this thread has lost control. Approve

Ohm; Chris Poland (ex. Megadeth) on guitar.

Not keen, sorry. To me it sounds like metal without the riffs, none of the subtlety of jazz in there. Great musicians though 

Edited by Duddick - December 16 2021 at 15:34
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 15:39
I believe the band Death incorporate some jazz into their music. Or maybe it was Cynic. One of those bands (maybe both). 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 15:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I believe the band Death incorporate some jazz into their music. Or maybe it was Cynic. One of those bands (maybe both). 

both Smile
progmanjum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmanjum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 16:37
I like Metallica to Jonas Hellborg. I like Opeth to Steely Dan. I like Dream Theater to Disco. I like Pain of Salvation to Al DiMeola. Good music is good music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>