Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog metal and jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 17:59
I prefer jazz- everything from Louie Armstrong to Accordo Dei Contrari.

I listen to metal bands like Haken, Dream Theater, Leprous, Opeth, UneXepcT, Sigh, Iapetus, Ahab,  and Riverside.  It's not a deal breaker, but I shy away from death growls. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 18:05
Big jazz and metal fan I particularly like brutal jazz that can be fairly metal

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 20:52
Jazz and fusion over metal anyday
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 21:24
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I prefer jazz- everything from Louie Armstrong to Accordo Dei Contrari.

I listen to metal bands like Haken, Dream Theater, Leprous, Opeth, UneXepcT, Sigh, Iapetus, Ahab,  and Riverside.  It's not a deal breaker, but I shy away from death growls. 

If you want really good jazzy prog metal with growls that are still intelligible, I'd check out Atheist (if you haven't already). Excellent early 90s prog metal with elements of bossa nova and free jazz
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 22:51
Jazz, metal and prog were my first musical loves and I don’t see any incompatibility there. Of course very old-fashioned jazz snobs - the ones John Zorn & Naked City advised to eat sh*t in 1992 - might not agree. But the many many hybrids that exist between jazz and metal suggest the contrary, and long may they flourish.

2021 example from Cameron Graves:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 23:19
^ pretty kick ass, interesting infusion of Latin with heavy rock
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 23:43
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I'm keen on both jazz and metal. The group Panzerballett combine both with killer results.
Panzerballett came to mind for me too. And Hago. They have one glorious album, and I hope they aren't done.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 00:09
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

I know I’m going to get pilloried for this but I think metal is an attitude you choose to buy into. I personally don’t. There are so many things I dislike about it but each to their own. 

Sure, to each their own.

You can like whatever you want. What you are more likely to get pilloried for is starting an entire thread without even so much as a summary or abstract to identify what empirical analysis led you to such blanket assertions as, "metal is an attitude you choose to buy into" or "...metal fans are not keen on jazz or fusion..." Do you have a foundation for these statements? Or is it just an arbitrary eye test that leads you to come and take a potshot at fans of a genre outside of your scope of enjoyment?

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 00:28
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I know I’m going to get pilloried for this but I think metal is an attitude you choose to buy into. I personally don’t. There are so many things I dislike about it but each to their own. 

Sure, to each their own.

You can like whatever you want. What you are more likely to get pilloried for is starting an entire thread without even so much as a summary or abstract to identify what empirical analysis led you to such blanket assertions as, "metal is an attitude you choose to buy into" or "...metal fans are not keen on jazz or fusion..." Do you have a foundation for these statements? Or is it just an arbitrary eye test that leads you to come and take a potshot at fans of a genre outside of your scope of enjoyment?

Given that Duddick’s only album ratings on PA are for extreme metal bands and are all one star ratings there does seem to be an axe being ground.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 17 2021 at 00:28
Bandcamp Profile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 01:15
Dude wtf, I love both fusion and metal, and can hardly find anyone that agrees.

I love Pestilence SPHERES as much as I love Gorguts EROSION and OBSCURA.

There's a fine line between technical metal and fusion, and a lot of the classic 70's stuff could legit pass as borderline death metal passages. Lots of Gentle Giant and Yes stuff comes to mind here.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 01:23
Have to admit I love the Liquid Tension Experiment and Animals as Leaders albums. Beyond that I haven't explored because I'm not a big fusion , metal or jazz rock fan.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 01:42

Sure, to each their own.

so well said. 
I bet these are questions you (and us) will not get an answer to. 
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 02:56
I prefer classical music. But sometimes, I listen to Panzerballett (Germany) and Watchtower (USA) for example which put jazz in their metal style.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 06:33
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Sure, to each their own.

Given that Duddick’s only album ratings on PA are for extreme metal bands and are all one star ratings there does seem to be an axe being ground.

+25 for rounding out that statement in the most metal way possible.

And, Mr. Duddick. We all listen to and enjoy different types of music without a required subscription to some perceived aesthetic, as you have implied. However, if there is an "attitude to buy into" in all this, it would appear it is the one you have chosen.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 07:52

I personally can’t see any appeal in anything remotely metal related - the whole ethos just turns me off, I’m afraid. One thing I have noticed though is a lot of metal fans are not keen on jazz or fusion (both of which I love). Any views/ thoughts?!?!

Don't really get your drift. There are many of us who equally love jazz and metal and the two mixed together.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - December 17 2021 at 11:57

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 11:00
As I have said before, Metal is not my favorite genre even though I can enjoy it on occasion and have respect when I hear good musicianship. To me, much of it sounds the same and there are only so many ways you can get that crunchy guitar sound. There is no shame in liking it. I am definitely more of a Jazz/Rock Fusion listener as I am a rocker at base but also need to hear virtuosity. I listen to a lot of straight Jazz. Metal is a kind of folk music in that there are specific characteristics to it. Blues also has some specific characteristics, so I consider it another kind of folk. Even though I like the Blues, I will admit much of it sounds the same. As the OP said, there is an ethos to it. A better word might be aesthetics, for there is a certain artistic perspective that comes with every genre of music. Metal tends towards the raw, the emotional (especially anger), while Jazz tends towards sophistication and the intellect. Does this mean there is no level of sophistication and intellect in Metal? Of course not, but those are secondary to the emotion. Does this mean there is no emotion in Jazz? One cannot say so in all seriousness. It is a matter of what is emphasized. Ying YangGeek
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 11:51
I'm not sure which metal is the topic from OP, but I don't listen to anything extreme like death or black. As far as Progmetal, not as much as I used to but still listen to some of the older material. Bands like Mind Key, Circus Maximus, Pantommind that kinda stuff I still listen to, there are just so many bands that I don't have much time to appreciate them.

And as far as jazz, yea I listen to a lot of it....huge fan of Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, I much prefer the hard bop, modal stuff from mid late 50s to early 60's. Late 60s into 70s it became more electronic with guitars and electric piano, which that sound does not interest me much.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 03:11
For the lolz:

Zubatto Syndicate rules.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 18 2021 at 03:12
Bandcamp Profile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 03:22
^ When it comes to covers of this, I prefer this one. In fact, I love this one!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2021 at 05:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>