Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog metal and jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 12:56
I like it all jazz prog metal and beyond, especially any mix of those.

To me it’s all about some degree of uniqueness, preferably combined with some technical perfection, but that is not the most important. 
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 13:09
Have you heard Exivious?

Edited by Argentinfonico - December 22 2021 at 13:10
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 13:38
I always felt that Robert Fripp was perhaps the best to combine jazz and metal!!  His work on LTIA, S&BB and Red are perfect examples.  

I cannot think of another player in his league, although Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci comes close!!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
UncleRust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UncleRust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 16:10
Crimson are a great example of a band who combined many styles & Fripp is one of the greats in my opinion.

Personally, I like Metal, Jazz, and Fusion (as well as many other genres).  All depends upon mood and whether my wife is likely to judge me harshly at the moment I am putting something on.

Growing up, Thelonius Monk had as much influence on me as did Iron Maiden and Yes.  When I started learning musical instruments I became obsessed with Al DiMeola and Bill Bruford, but pure enjoyment of any specific music or genre for me is always related to the emotional impact it has on me.

My theory - People that listen exclusively to any type of music are either intolerant of things they have not yet experienced or disinterested in music.  Doesn't make them bad people necessarily, but they are probably less interesting conversationalists.

Edited by UncleRust - December 22 2021 at 16:11
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 02:23
^ Maybe you have to be open to the possibility of hearing certain music in a different way.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 03:39
Originally posted by UncleRust UncleRust wrote:

My theory - People that listen exclusively to any type of music are either intolerant of things they have not yet experienced or disinterested in music.

What do you regard as a "type" of music?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
UncleRust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 07:05
It is not really about what I view as a type, but rather what any individual would think of.  There is likely some variety, I imagine.

The way I was thinking, 'type' would probably indicate a genre or some other way of categorizing a specific piece of music.  The point I am trying to make is that I know people who intentionally limit their experiences, mostly out of fear or disinterest.  That tends to make those specific people a little less interesting to talk to about music.
UncleRust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 07:08
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Maybe you have to be open to the possibility of hearing certain music in a different way.

Yes, I quite agree that would help.  Openness to any topic would help in understanding, and possibly appreciating it.

Edited by UncleRust - December 23 2021 at 07:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123